DCP shares his own witness of the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

DCP shares his own witness of the Book of Mormon

Post by drumdude »

https://youtu.be/kPQe81KcZJQ?t=120

It’s short, about 8 minutes long. He goes over the typical arguments. There’s so many witnesses, no one can explain them away. The book was such a miraculous creation, no one can explain away how Joseph accomplished it. The book feels ancient to him, someone who has studied tons of ancient books.

The most compelling and sincere part I think is at the end. He says that if the Book of Mormon is true, then so many wonderful things fall into place. God cares about us, death is not the end. Life is not meaningless. Families will be together forever.

It actually stirred long dead feelings within me, from back when I was a believer. I really wish Mormonism were true. I wish I could look past all the problems with Mormonism and just believe blindly.

I really do envy Daniel and all the other Mormons who find peace within it. I know it’s a slickly edited video, but Dan comes across as someone who has found great comfort within his faith and I think that’s a great thing.

If anyone has found something similar without religion, I’d love to know. Without religion you’re left with the null hypothesis that death really is the end. And no matter how you cut it that’s such a depressing thought. With almost unbearable implications. It’s a thought that can only really be dealt with by shoving it out of mind as much and as often as possible. At least for me.
IHAQ
God

Re: DCP shares his own witness of the Book of Mormon

Post by IHAQ »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:52 am
The most compelling and sincere part I think is at the end. He says that if the Book of Mormon is true, then so many wonderful things fall into place. God cares about us, death is not the end. Life is not meaningless. Families will be together forever.
Billions of people enjoy the feeling that God cares about them, that death is not the end, that life is not meaningless, and that families will be together in the after life without any attachment of that to the canon uniquely revered by a small sect based in America.

If the Book of Mormon is true, then Peterson also believes that...
...as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.
22 And thus saith the Lord God: I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities.
23 And cursed shall be the seed of him that mixeth with their seed; for they shall be cursed even with the same cursing. And the Lord spake it, and it was done.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 5?lang=eng

It's awkward for members, but when they state that the Book of Mormon is true they need to own the fact they are also saying they believe black skin is the sign of a curse from God and that interracial marriage is against God's wishes.
Last edited by IHAQ on Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

drumdude wrote:
https://youtu.be/kPQe81KcZJQ?t=120

It’s short, about 8 minutes long. He goes over the typical arguments. There’s so many witnesses, no one can explain them away. The book was such a miraculous creation, no one can explain away how Joseph accomplished it. The book feels ancient to him, someone who has studied tons of ancient books.

It actually stirred long dead feelings within me, from back when I was a believer. I really wish Mormonism were true. I wish I could look past all the problems with Mormonism and just believe blindly.

I really do envy Daniel and all the other Mormons who find peace within it. I know it’s a slickly edited video, but Dan comes across as someone who has found great comfort within his faith and I think that’s a great thing.

If anyone has found something similar without religion, I’d love to know. Without religion you’re left with the null hypothesis that death really is the end. And no matter how you cut it that’s such a depressing thought. With almost unbearable implications. It’s a thought that can only really be dealt with by shoving it out of mind as much and as often as possible. At least for me.
Dr. Peterson says Joseph Smith had “maybe 2 1/2 months of formal education.” That’s not right. Maybe he misspoke here (mistakenly using the figure he subsequently cites for the time of the dictation of the Book of Mormon).
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

During the holiday season, the atrocities committed by religions and by religious believers seem to multiply. Certainly, they’re more obvious and more brazenly public. I will try to keep up with this disgusting theistic flood of outrages, crimes, and insults against humanity, but will probably fall behind in my chronicle. Here, though, are a few items that I’ve recently located in the Christopher Hitchens Memorial “How Religion Poisons Everything” File©.
DCP’s glib and frankly crappy attempts at authenticity fade quickly when he posts nonsense like ^ . Given that jihadists have killed six and wounded two “in the name of religion” in the last day alone makes his usual attempts at vacuous satire seem venal. I suppose it’s nice that a con man on the cult’s payroll for 30+ years can drop a hot take about ‘families are forever’ (is that a threat or a promise?), but his consistent shilling for religions steeped in hateful rhetoric and violence makes moot any of his doe-eyed wistful finger crossing.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

The man lies to himself or is delusional or a little of both. Whatever is good if the ends are what the brethren want.

Sorry, the witnesses were of the same sort as above. There aren't any Nephites to be found and DNA is a pretty big dagger, so, delusion/intentional conduct it is.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I agree that his biggest driver is his fear of death and fear of separation from his relatively privileged lifestyle of travel, friendships, and food.

Death being the end is a scary thought, but is it really that bad? I would take another 20 years, or another 100, or a chance to live this life again with fewer mistakes, but if I had to choose between death and eternal life, it's death all the way. Infinity way too long -- what if you got tired of the celestial lifestyle after 100 trillion years? Well, you haven't even just got started yet.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

I remember having a conversation with my dad, the atheist, shortly after I got back from my mission. I was shocked to hear him say that he really doesn’t want to live forever.

Only now am I starting to understand what he meant.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I haven't watched DCP's witness of the Book of Mormon, but I have no doubt that it is sincere. My problems with DCP have never had to do with any doubt that he sincerely believes in Mormonism. It is how he conducts himself in apologetics that I have regularly taken exception to. I doubt that will change because DCP does not change and sees no need to change. Therefore, the disagreement will continue. That's OK.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

IHAQ wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:22 am
drumdude wrote:
Billions of people enjoy the feeling that God cares about them, that death is not the end, that life is not meaningless, and that families will be together in the after life without any attachment of that the canon uniquely revered by a small sect based in America.

If the Book of Mormon is true, then Peterson also believes that...
...as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.
22 And thus saith the Lord God: I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities.
23 And cursed shall be the seed of him that mixeth with their seed; for they shall be cursed even with the same cursing. And the Lord spake it, and it was done.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... tures/Book of Mormon/2-ne/5?lang=eng

It's awkward for members, but when they state that the Book of Mormon is true they need to own the fact they are also saying they believe black skin is the sign of a curse from God and that interracial marriage is against God's wishes.
It's so "perfect" of a book. Ha ha ha.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

consiglieri wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:00 pm
I remember having a conversation with my dad, the atheist, shortly after I got back from my mission. I was shocked to hear him say that he really doesn’t want to live forever.

Only now am I starting to understand what he meant.
We would all end up as a literal not figurative Portrait of Dorian Gray with all the aches and pains of age. Older voters would mandate ethical suicide parlors and urge their remains to be sent to that snack food company in Linden, Utah.

---

Dr. Peterson would be wise to line up all the Interpreter board members and have them bear witness to the plates. Not having been in the same time and place should make no difference to those who know it is all true. "Fake it till you make it" as the motto of the MTC goes.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace