What exactly Is Wrong with Polygamy anyway?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

What exactly Is Wrong with Polygamy anyway?

Post by KevinSim »

On this forum every once in a while someone will mention polygamy in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as if that's a guaranteed way of scoring points against that church. I personally have no desire whatsoever to be married to more women than just my one wife, but if three adults (of any gender combination) want to join into a marriage relationship, why should anyone else care? I heard one source say polygamy is bad because it exploits women. Why is it that a man marrying two women means he's exploiting women, but another man marrying just one woman means he is not exploiting women?
Res Ipsa
God

Re: What exactly Is Wrong with Polygamy anyway?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Nothing, in theory. In practice, look at the FLDS. If it’s just men marrying multiple women, the result is both discarding young men and marrying off younger and younger girls.

On the other hand, I have several friends who have had or are in polyamorous relationships. I don’t think I’m cut out for that, but I don’t think it is inherently harmful.

Out of the context of a top down authoritarian power structure, I’m fine with it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

There is a bit of irony about the Church holding itself out as a staunch advocate for man-woman marriage when they still hold to the concept of polygamy.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

The origins of polygamy in Mormonism isn't pretty. Positions of power and trust were used to coerce under age women into the system. Most people using this as a wedge against Mormonism tend to rhetorically ask why a god would condone this.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It started as a dirty nasty little affair with Joseph and an underage housemaid. It continued with sham weddings in front of Emma.

It continues on today in that same tradition, abusing FLDS children in the celestial room of fundamentalist Mormon temples.

What’s so bad about polygamy?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:47 pm
On this forum every once in a while someone will mention polygamy in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as if that's a guaranteed way of scoring points against that church. I personally have no desire whatsoever to be married to more women than just my one wife, but if three adults (of any gender combination) want to join into a marriage relationship, why should anyone else care? I heard one source say polygamy is bad because it exploits women. Why is it that a man marrying two women means he's exploiting women, but another man marrying just one woman means he is not exploiting women?
Have you thought about the commoditization of women, the psychological and emotional stresses of divided intimacy and resources, and the inevitable problems of excess males unattached from familial devotion? What would be your solution for the downsides of polygyny?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:52 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:47 pm
Have you thought about the commoditization of women, the psychological and emotional stresses of divided intimacy and resources, and the inevitable problems of excess males unattached from familial devotion? What would be your solution for the downsides of polygyny?

- Doc
And not just unattached - in the case of FLDS, apparently forcibly detached.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:57 pm
Nothing, in theory. In practice, look at the FLDS. If it’s just men marrying multiple women, the result is both discarding young men and marrying off younger and younger girls.

On the other hand, I have several friends who have had or are in polyamorous relationships. I don’t think I’m cut out for that, but I don’t think it is inherently harmful.

Out of the context of a top down authoritarian power structure, I’m fine with it.
Exactly. It is one thing to say that consenting adults should be able to do as they please, but that is a different question than asking whether the organization to which you have pledged your obedience should hypothetically be able to reorder your marital choices according to its changing priorities, especially in ways that aggravate inequalities between the genders.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

malkie wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:11 pm
And not just unattached - in the case of FLDS, apparently forcibly detached.
Yeah, FLDS polygamy is all kinds of screwed up. Hard pass. Joseph Smith polygamy was similarly bad. Hard pass.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KS,

Why do you suppose men within a certain faith vector are promised 72 virgins after death?
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.