What exactly Is Wrong with Polygamy anyway?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: What exactly Is Wrong with Polygamy anyway?

Post by KevinSim »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:13 pm
The origins of polygamy in Mormonism isn't pretty. Positions of power and trust were used to coerce under age women into the system. Most people using this as a wedge against Mormonism tend to rhetorically ask why a god would condone this.
Rhetorical questions only carry weight when they can't be answered. When asking a question about God, it's always wise to consider the possibility that God might have an answer to that question.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:41 pm
It started as a dirty nasty little affair with Joseph and an underage housemaid. It continued with sham weddings in front of Emma.

It continues on today in that same tradition, abusing FLDS children in the celestial room of fundamentalist Mormon temples.

What’s so bad about polygamy?
Pointing to the FLDS to draw conclusions about polygamy makes as much sense as pointing to the NAMBLA to draw conclusions about gay marriage.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:44 am
Yep, that's what I was going to say. Consenting adults can do wtf they want. But often this exists in exploitive context.
Once again, why is it that a man marrying two women is (or can be) exploitive, but a man marrying one woman is not (or cannot be)?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:19 am
KevinSim wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:47 pm
On this forum every once in a while someone will mention polygamy in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as if that's a guaranteed way of scoring points against that church. I personally have no desire whatsoever to be married to more women than just my one wife, but if three adults (of any gender combination) want to join into a marriage relationship, why should anyone else care? I heard one source say polygamy is bad because it exploits women. Why is it that a man marrying two women means he's exploiting women, but another man marrying just one woman means he is not exploiting women?
Would you be okay with your wife having multiple husbands?
You saw what I asked up above, Fence Sitter. Three "adults (of any gender combination)". My personal preference is irrelevant. My question was what was wrong with three adults who wanted to enter into polygamy, actually entering into polygamy. As it occurs, I don't want to enter into a polygamous marriage. My question was about people who do.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:46 am
You saw what I asked up above, Fence Sitter. Three "adults (of any gender combination)". My personal preference is irrelevant. My question was what was wrong with three adults who wanted to enter into polygamy, actually entering into polygamy. As it occurs, I don't want to enter into a polygamous marriage. My question was about people who do.
Kevin, are you aware of any examples where plural marriage has worked and been healthy for all the participants and the wider society?
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:46 am
My question was what was wrong with three adults who wanted to enter into polygamy, actually entering into polygamy.
Nothing inherently, just so long as all participants are consenting adults who aren't being religiously coerced into doing so.

Neither of which, as you well know, was the case the way Mormons practiced it.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
mcjathan
Nursery

Post by mcjathan »

Can anyone imagine a Mormon woman asking the question, "What exactly Is Wrong with Polygamy anyway?".

With all due respect Kevin, your question seems to highlight either an unwillingness or inability to put yourself in other people's shoes.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:20 am
Rivendale wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:13 pm
The origins of polygamy in Mormonism isn't pretty. Positions of power and trust were used to coerce under age women into the system. Most people using this as a wedge against Mormonism tend to rhetorically ask why a god would condone this.
Rhetorical questions only carry weight when they can't be answered. When asking a question about God, it's always wise to consider the possibility that God might have an answer to that question.
According to christianity everyone has God's image imprinted on their heart. A universal moral compass. This seems to be problem for mortals. Polygamy for many was looked at with revulsion. Some even yearned for the grave rather than partake in the practice. Trickster god is at it again. One must reject the image on the heart and actually turn the moral compass 180 degrees. God seems to be a psychopath.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:30 am
drumdude wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:41 pm
It started as a dirty nasty little affair with Joseph and an underage housemaid. It continued with sham weddings in front of Emma.

It continues on today in that same tradition, abusing FLDS children in the celestial room of fundamentalist Mormon temples.

What’s so bad about polygamy?
Pointing to the FLDS to draw conclusions about polygamy makes as much sense as pointing to the NAMBLA to draw conclusions about gay marriage.
-_-

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/12/03/ ... l-bateman/
Polygamous leader Samuel Bateman had 20 wives, according to FBI

Sexual misconduct, including with underage girls, is alleged in FBI affidavit that details recordings from Bateman and other statements
Teens. Pre-teens. Funny how men keep using polygamy to lasso in children to satisfy their lusts. Unfortunately, the damage to those children will last forever. To act like this kind of behavior is an anomaly when polygamy is practiced is to deny reality.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Marrying underage girls isn’t just an individual anomaly that could in principle be separated from institutional polygamy as such. It keeps happening in polygamous groups because it’s the only way to get the extra women.
I was a teenager before it was cool.