Five Points of Fellowship: George Oliver

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Five Points of Fellowship: George Oliver

Post by Kishkumen »

I post this not to initiate a non-Terrestrial discussion of sacred temple ordinances but to show how obvious the influence of George Oliver, author of The Antiquities of Freemasonry, on Joseph Smith is. If you can't see anything of the Spirit of Mormon temple worship in this, as well as the forms, then I don't know how to help you get a clearer picture.
George Oliver wrote:In every well regulated society, some bond of union, some reciprocal and mutual interchange of benefits forms a distinguishing feature, which no vicissitudes of circumstances can remove. Masons profess to be united in an indissoluble chain of sincere affection, called the five points of fellowship; by which, when strictly adhered to, they are bound heart and hand so firmly, that even death itself cannot sever the solemn compact, because in another and more glorified state those relations are perceived and acknowledged, which have characterized the union here on earth. These five points refer to the certain virtues requisite to be practiced in this world in order to the enjoyment of happiness in a future state, and mark distinctly the difference between virtue and vice.
Take a look at the greeting for the School of the Prophets, revealed in 1832/3:
D&C 88:132-3 wrote:132 And when any shall come in after him, let the teacher arise, and, with uplifted hands to heaven, yea, even directly, salute his brother or brethren with these words:
133 Art thou a brother or brethren? I salute you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, in token or remembrance of the everlasting covenant, in which covenant I receive you to fellowship, in a determination that is fixed, immovable, and unchangeable, to be your friend and brother through the grace of God in the bonds of love, to walk in all the commandments of God blameless, in thanksgiving, forever and ever. Amen.
This greeting is followed by a ritual action:
D&C 88:139-40 wrote:139 And he shall be received by the ordinance of the washing of feet, for unto this end was the ordinance of the washing of feet instituted.
140 And again, the ordinance of washing feet is to be administered by the president, or presiding elder of the church.
From this, it becomes clear that Joseph Smith was very early on thinking of a temple (even the current LDS scriptures online identify the school of the prophets as a kind of temple) to be organized along fraternal and ritual lines. The spirit of the fraternal bond of the school of the prophets is very much in keeping with what Oliver writes about the Five Points of Fellowship, the latter being more explicitly wrapped into the Nauvoo endowment.

Notice that particularly in the endowment, the eternal purpose of Oliver's five points of fellowship is realized:
[E]ven death itself cannot sever the solemn compact, because in another and more glorified state those relations are perceived and acknowledged, which have characterized the union here on earth.
A little less than a year after the first endowment was administered in the Red Brick Store in Nauvoo, Section 132 states:
Section 132 wrote: 7 And verily I say unto you, that the conditions of this law are these: All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead.

8 Behold, mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion.
For this notion that what is done on earth in certain circumstances will be recognized in heaven, see also Helaman 10:
7 Behold, I give unto you power, that whatsoever ye shall seal on earth shall be sealed in heaven; and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven; and thus shall ye have power among this people.
8 And thus, if ye shall say unto this temple it shall be rent in twain, it shall be done.
9 And if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou cast down and become smooth, it shall be done.
10 And behold, if ye shall say that God shall smite this people, it shall come to pass.
One could go on and on to see the many ways that which Oliver wrote resonates beautifully with what Joseph Smith later did in scripture and ritual, and it is absolutely crucial to recognize that the influence is not limited to ritual forms. It very much includes the shaping of Joseph Smith's doctrinal ideas.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow