The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2022

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MsJack
Deacon

Re: The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2022

Post by MsJack »

I've been spending more time on this forum since school has been out. Thanks for the honorable mention, Dr. Scratch.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

I wonder how the GAs look at the comments by him in his CV page 39
https://humanities.byu.edu/wp-content/u ... -J2019.pdf

"The Book of Abraham was a revelation given to Joseph Smith, who later (mistakenly thinking it was a translation from the papyri he had in his possession) tried to connect the revealed text to the papyri by inserting two sentences, verse 12c and verse 14, into Abraham 1. The secondary nature of these two inserted sentences can be directly observed in the photos of folios 1a and 1b in the document identified as Ab2. Verse 12c is totally inserted intralinearly, not partially (as incorrectly represented in the accompanying transcription – and without comment). Verse 14 is not written on the page as are other portions of this part of the text (instead, it is written flush to the left), which implies that it is a comment on the papyri and that it was added to the revealed text. Overall, these results imply that all the facsimiles from the papyri (1-3 in the published Pearl of Great Price) should be considered extracanonical and additions to the revealed text of the Book of Abraham, not integral parts of the original text of the book."
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

MsJack wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:09 pm
I've been spending more time on this forum since school has been out. Thanks for the honorable mention, Dr. Scratch.
You are most welcome, MsJack, and *thank you* for your incisive post!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14