The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2022

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2022

Post by drumdude »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:12 am
Some interesting observations, but I need to (slightly) disagree. I think that the Brethren—some of them, anyhow—*do* care about what the Mopologists are up to. The very fact that they were booted out of the Maxwell Institute would seem to be evidence of that. And prior to the purge, there were rumors swirling about BKP intervening in the Mopologists’ attacks on Rodney Meldrum. Meanwhile, when it suits them, the Mopologists will boast about their “connections” with the Brethren, and they will simultaneously try to discredit other LDS (such as Meldrum) who do the same.

I still think their conflict with the Heartlanders is a powder keg. Loyalty can be an asset—sure. But at the expense of destroying other Latter-day Saints’ faith? One gets the sense that the Interpreter Mopologists are trying to prove that they are *more loyal* than the Heartlanders, but this is proving to be a difficult and deeply problematic task.
They’re desperately trying to salvage a literal interpretation of the Book of Mormon. They think that if the brethren give into the non-literalists, then Mormonism is done. DCP doesn’t hide the fact that it’s a huge fear of his, and one of his primary focuses.

Heartlanders are the wrong kind of literalists, and take away resources and credibility from the mezo-America literalist crusade.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Some interesting observations, but I need to (slightly) disagree. I think that the Brethren—some of them, anyhow—*do* care about what the Mopologists are up to. The very fact that they were booted out of the Maxwell Institute would seem to be evidence of that. And prior to the purge, there were rumors swirling about BKP intervening in the Mopologists’ attacks on Rodney Meldrum. Meanwhile, when it suits them, the Mopologists will boast about their “connections” with the Brethren, and they will simultaneously try to discredit other LDS (such as Meldrum) who do the same.

I still think their conflict with the Heartlanders is a powder keg. Loyalty can be an asset—sure. But at the expense of destroying other Latter-day Saints’ faith? One gets the sense that the Interpreter Mopologists are trying to prove that they are *more loyal* than the Heartlanders, but this is proving to be a difficult and deeply problematic task.
Hmmm. Well, individually interested? Sure! Collectively supportive or even aware? I am much less sure of that. In fact, I am doubtful. You bring up BKP, and I am reminded of the times we know he was meddling in things on his own initiative.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:38 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:

Hmmm. Well, individually interested? Sure! Collectively supportive or even aware? I am much less sure of that. In fact, I am doubtful. You bring up BKP, and I am reminded of the times we know he was meddling in things on his own initiative.
some GA or another wrote:Dan Peterson?

Is that the guy who sometimes writes a little column about something or another in the DN?

Is he a Sunday School teacher somewhere?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:33 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:

They’re desperately trying to salvage a literal interpretation of the Book of Mormon. They think that if the brethren give into the non-literalists, then Mormonism is done. DCP doesn’t hide the fact that it’s a huge fear of his, and one of his primary focuses.

Heartlanders are the wrong kind of literalists, and take away resources and credibility from the mezo-America literalist crusade.
The reality that the Interpreter crowd hasn't yet admitted is that Book of Mormon literalism collapsed in the late 90s.

Additionally, the housing of "Mormon studies" inside of formal universities meant that its practioners had to accept the obvious fact that Mormonism was just one of many charismatic Protestant movements started in 19th century frontier America.

As the overseers of BYU, the general authorities, at least some of them, have had to come into contact with these two societal realities. It's why DCP and his neo-fundamentalist friends had to be kicked out at BYU. They were an embarrassment to serious scholars with their absurd literalism. And deep down, even Dan and friends probably realize this. It's why they are so constantly angry.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Yep. Just look at John Gee’s face in any video. It’s like he became a Michelin star chef and then had to go work for Trump flipping McDonalds double cheeseburgers for the rest of his life.

He’s really putting those Egyptology skills to good use!
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:38 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:

Yes: good points. I suppose I was responding primarily to Dr. Moore's remark about the "loyalty box." The Mopologists, I think it's fair to say, have a complicated relationship with the GAs. Back during the MI heydays, they used to invite Oaks and others from the Twelve to talk at the annual FARMS dinner around the holidays, and they certainly had a "cozy" relationship with some of the Brethren. Meanwhile, they were engaged in what can legitimately be called full-blown insubordination in regards to other of the Brethren--e.g., Midgley's remark that they were waiting for Elder Mark E. Petersen *to die* so that they could publish on the LGT. And then there is Skousen's project, and the fact that he thumbed his nose at the Brethren when they told him to ditch his critical text project--and the Mopologists have supported him all along. So "loyalty" is not quite the right word, though it's not wrong, either.

I imagine that the Mopologists' relationship with the GAs has a certain level of Game of Thrones-esque political intrigue, backstabbing, gossip, and so on. If you caught the recent season of House of the Dragon, there was a scene towards the end (without giving too much away) where Rhaenyra dispatches envoys to make sure that certain houses are "loyal to the cause," and I imagine that it's sort of like that. But there are other "causes," too. Sure: the Interpreter crowd managed to get Elder Gay to come talk at their yearly celebration, but the Heartlanders have had GAs on their side, too. (And Midgley got in the face of one of these guys, as I recall.) I guess, then, that I wouldn't say that the Mopologists get a "free pass" on account of loyalty, but, instead, that they aren't brought to heel because enough of the Brethren consider them to be "useful," even if they are causing damage in various ways.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:19 pm
…And then there is Skousen's project, and the fact that he thumbed his nose at the Brethren when they told him to ditch his critical text project--and the Mopologists have supported him all along….
This is really interesting to me. The 15 officially don’t seem to even recognize Skousen, and it seemed the Interpreter was forced to or chose to pick up payment for the project when the lds church through MI wouldn’t. Maybe I’ll start a different thread because it seems like there is still a lot going on behind the scenes here.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Yes: good points. I suppose I was responding primarily to Dr. Moore's remark about the "loyalty box." The Mopologists, I think it's fair to say, have a complicated relationship with the GAs. Back during the MI heydays, they used to invite Oaks and others from the Twelve to talk at the annual FARMS dinner around the holidays, and they certainly had a "cozy" relationship with some of the Brethren. Meanwhile, they were engaged in what can legitimately be called full-blown insubordination in regards to other of the Brethren--e.g., Midgley's remark that they were waiting for Elder Mark E. Petersen *to die* so that they could publish on the LGT. And then there is Skousen's project, and the fact that he thumbed his nose at the Brethren when they told him to ditch his critical text project--and the Mopologists have supported him all along. So "loyalty" is not quite the right word, though it's not wrong, either.

I imagine that the Mopologists' relationship with the GAs has a certain level of Game of Thrones-esque political intrigue, backstabbing, gossip, and so on. If you caught the recent season of House of the Dragon, there was a scene towards the end (without giving too much away) where Rhaenyra dispatches envoys to make sure that certain houses are "loyal to the cause," and I imagine that it's sort of like that. But there are other "causes," too. Sure: the Interpreter crowd managed to get Elder Gay to come talk at their yearly celebration, but the Heartlanders have had GAs on their side, too. (And Midgley got in the face of one of these guys, as I recall.) I guess, then, that I wouldn't say that the Mopologists get a "free pass" on account of loyalty, but, instead, that they aren't brought to heel because enough of the Brethren consider them to be "useful," even if they are causing damage in various ways.
Agreed. I think the key point is *useful.* With few half-literate people willing to put their necks on the line to defend every gaffe, boner, and downright harmful thing the Brethren have done, the Mopologists show themselves to be the unwaveringly loyal in their attacks on the critics, even when on occasion they grumble about anonymous or long-dead leaders, and that makes them *useful* to the Brethren. Have PhD, will troll critics? Welcome to the club, until, that is, you cease being *useful.*
Last edited by Kishkumen on Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:50 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:

Agreed. I think the key point is *useful.* With few half-literate people willing to put their necks on the line to defend very gaffe, boner, and downright harmful thing the Brethren have done, the Mopologists show themselves to be the unwaveringly loyal in their attacks on the critics, even when on occasion they grumble about anonymous or long-dead leaders, and that makes them *useful* to the Brethren. Have PhD, will troll critics? Welcome to the club, until, that is, you cease being *useful.*
As BKP might put it: "Some apologists aren't very useful"?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:38 pm
As BKP might put it: "Some apologists aren't very useful"?
As Dr. Peterson would remind Packer:
You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at weekly briefings, you want us on that wall -- you need us on that wall. When it comes time to slither through that mud behind enemy lines, no other group does it better. Not those "scholars" at the Maxwell and certainly not those Heartlanders.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace