Jesus is the reason baby

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Jesus is the reason baby

Post by dastardly stem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:14 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:17 am

I’d still have to investigate the one book you mention Jesus Remebered, but I haven’t seen anyone openly challenge the claim anywhere. All my best.
The claim that Jesus' historicity is not actual? Are you reading any of the Bible scholars at all? There are umpteen thousands of them who don't find Carrier valid. Why all the sudden Carrier alone carries the day and all New Testament and Bible scholarship sinks due to his book is utterly beyond how that can be believed. All I am saying is the hyperbole is far beyond what the actual scholarship has shown on the Historical Jesus.
Dennis R. MacDonald told me personally he thinks there was a person Jesus, it's just he didn't exist as the New Testament has depicted him, but that doesn't mean his stories, being created, proves he himself is non-existent, it means the stories have to be evaluated, not his actual existence. And MacDonald is an atheist.
Thanks Philo. I’m aware of the situation. Carrier’s not as alone as you think but it’s pretty close. The contention tends to be the historicity position is lacking. This thread was started to point out what I see as a distinction without a difference when those like MacDonald pose a theory about Jesus’ life that is not demonstrable. Ultimately in this thread I’d love to see a solid case for historicity. None has been given, as far as I’m concerned, and I certainly could be wrong. I’d be interested in any. If a good case in Dunn’s book exists I’ll be delightfully surprised. I figure if there was a good case to be made then it’s be easily presentable. What would be the best case for historicity? Id love to see it.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I wanted to add the best case people have given me in the past is that many scholars think he existed. That’s fine. I don’t care too much for peoples assumptions. I want to see logic, data, argument…you know, those things. Not expert opinion sans their reasoning, argument, nor data. I’m aware that many scholars accept Jesus’ historicity. I don’t see why they do other than accepting a number of questionable assumptions, as it seems to me Ehrman does.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:18 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:14 pm

The claim that Jesus' historicity is not actual? Are you reading any of the Bible scholars at all? There are umpteen thousands of them who don't find Carrier valid. Why all the sudden Carrier alone carries the day and all New Testament and Bible scholarship sinks due to his book is utterly beyond how that can be believed. All I am saying is the hyperbole is far beyond what the actual scholarship has shown on the Historical Jesus.
Dennis R. MacDonald told me personally he thinks there was a person Jesus, it's just he didn't exist as the New Testament has depicted him, but that doesn't mean his stories, being created, proves he himself is non-existent, it means the stories have to be evaluated, not his actual existence. And MacDonald is an atheist.
Thanks Philo. I’m aware of the situation. Carrier’s not as alone as you think but it’s pretty close. The contention tends to be the historicity position is lacking. This thread was started to point out what I see as a distinction without a difference when those like MacDonald pose a theory about Jesus’ life that is not demonstrable. Ultimately in this thread I’d love to see a solid case for historicity. None has been given, as far as I’m concerned, and I certainly could be wrong. I’d be interested in any. If a good case in Dunn’s book exists I’ll be delightfully surprised. I figure if there was a good case to be made then it’s be easily presentable. What would be the best case for historicity? Id love to see it.
This would make an absolutely FAN-LUVIN-TASTIC series of episodes on The Mormon Discussion new social media LIVE and RECORDING videos that Kish has brought up as possibly another excellent outlet for our board to continue having fun. It is stuff like this that would make it ROCK man..... I am gonna see what I can do to help Kish if he needs it to get that up and running reality. Yes, it's work, but it's a whole lot of serious FUN to do...
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:39 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:18 pm

This would make an absolutely FAN-LUVIN-TASTIC series of episodes on The Mormon Discussion new social media LIVE and RECORDING videos that Kish has brought up as possibly another excellent outlet for our board to continue having fun. It is stuff like this that would make it ROCK man..... I am gonna see what I can do to help Kish if he needs it to get that up and running reality. Yes, it's work, but it's a whole lot of serious FUN to do...
I’d thInk so. I’d like to see it succeed
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hi Stem,

I always enjoy your threads in which you discuss the historical Jesus issue. The necessary step that leaves me unpersuaded is establishing what evidence we should reasonably expect to see, given the records that were kept at the time and the subset of those records that we have access to today. On that issue, I consider myself unqualified and must rely on historians who have expertise in that area. Absent a credible argument that we should reasonably some kind of evidence that is missing, I find the evidence we have just as consistent with a mythologized real guy Jesus as with a totally made up Jesus. That being the case, I don’t think I have a sufficient basis to arrive at a more probable than not conclusion at all. That might change if I were to become a historian with expertise on the relevant period of history.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:27 pm
Hi Stem,

I always enjoy your threads in which you discuss the historical Jesus issue. The necessary step that leaves me unpersuaded is establishing what evidence we should reasonably expect to see, given the records that were kept at the time and the subset of those records that we have access to today. On that issue, I consider myself unqualified and must rely on historians who have expertise in that area. Absent a credible argument that we should reasonably some kind of evidence that is missing, I find the evidence we have just as consistent with a mythologized real guy Jesus as with a totally made up Jesus. That being the case, I don’t think I have a sufficient basis to arrive at a more probable than not conclusion at all. That might change if I were to become a historian with expertise on the relevant period of history.
Thank, Res Ipsa. I think one could read your post and see it, at least in part, as a bit of summary of my opening posts. So I'd say there is plenty in our perspective views to find agreement with. I'm about 50/50 on it. It seems I come off as advocating as one opposed to historicity because I'm eager to point out the specious arguments used to bolster it. FOr me, pointing out Ehrman's bad arguments and evidence is not meant to do much more than show there is no certainty here as he claims. And I think its worth pushing that there does seem to be a pretty obvious distinction without a difference when it comes to arguing a minimal historicist position vs an ahistoricist take. But I'm just repeating myself again, so good to hear from you.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

dastardly stem wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:48 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:27 pm
Hi Stem,

Thank, Res Ipsa. I think one could read your post and see it, at least in part, as a bit of summary of my opening posts. So I'd say there is plenty in our perspective views to find agreement with. I'm about 50/50 on it. It seems I come off as advocating as one opposed to historicity because I'm eager to point out the specious arguments used to bolster it. FOr me, pointing out Ehrman's bad arguments and evidence is not meant to do much more than show there is no certainty here as he claims. And I think its worth pushing that there does seem to be a pretty obvious distinction without a difference when it comes to arguing a minimal historicist position vs an ahistoricist take. But I'm just repeating myself again, so good to hear from you.
Thanks, Stem.
he/him

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

People are posting their personal summaries.

I think I am quite able to question and doubt. I can see logical doubts about the reality of God and Jesus being raised from the dead. On the other hand I think the evidence of the New Testament and the existence of Jesus followers going back into the first part of the first century is very strong evidence that Jesus existed and was in at least a general form the person presented in the gospels.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:16 pm

I think I am quite able to question and doubt. I can see logical doubts about the reality of God and Jesus being raised from the dead. On the other hand I think the evidence of the New Testament and the existence of Jesus followers going back into the first part of the first century is very strong evidence that Jesus existed and was in at least a general form the person presented in the gospels.
Double thumbs up on this, huckelberry. Thanks for posting a brief summary. This makes a good deal of sense and I have no particular objection. I've been objectionable enough with your views and would like to say you are a delightful person to talk to on these topics.
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:16 pm

Would a fair description be a Jew who preached similar to the descriptions in the New Testament, developed a following, was tried, convicted and crucified for the substance of his teachings? Anything else you would include in a minimal description of the person on which the New Testament was based?
he/him