How The LDS Population Has Changed In Utah During The Last 10 Years

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

How The LDS Population Has Changed In Utah During The Last 10 Years

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

In 17 of Utah's 29 counties there’s been a decrease in the reported number of Latter-day Saints between 2010 and 2020. This, despite enormous population growth during the last 10 years.

I'm shocked. 10 years ago there were more LDS in 17 of Utah's 29 counties? That doesn't bode well for the church.

Only three counties saw an increase in the percentage of their residents who were reported as Latter-day Saints: Box Elder, Garfield and Rich.

From the SL Trib:

Utah’s five most-populated counties all show downturns in the percentage of residents whom the church considers adherents in the past decade. In Salt Lake County or Summit County, that decrease has been part of a longer, decades long trend; in Utah County, that dip is more recent.

Here’s one that surprised me: In 17 of Utah’s 29 counties, there’s been a decrease in even the reported absolute number of Latter-day Saints between 2010 and 2020. Meanwhile, in 27 counties, the non-Latter-day Saint population has grown.

Only three counties have seen an increase in the percentage of their residents who were reported as Latter-day Saints: Box Elder, Garfield and Rich.

Again, I’m a little surprised that this is happening despite high (though falling) birthrates among Latter-day Saints generally. With all the factors involved, I don’t dare speculate on the reasons for these trends, other than to note that the data shows declining U.S. religiosity overall.

Andy Larsen is a data columnist for The Salt Lake Tribune. You can reach him at alarsen@sltrib.com.

author
alarsen@sltrib.com
Follow @andyblarsen

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/12 ... opulation/

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Wonhyo
CTR A

Re: How The LDS Population Has Changed In Utah During The Last 10 Years

Post by Wonhyo »

It's potentially a demographic disaster for the church.
Last edited by Wonhyo on Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Wonhyo wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:05 am
Yes, it is an unmitigated disaster.

I don't know how you can find any positive news from this if you are the church.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

The numbers on religious adherents come 2030 are going to be real interesting. A lot of Boomer and Silent family matriarchs and patriarchs that are one of the main reasons keeping their Gen X and Millennial offspring active about to pass onward. The LDS Church is probably going to have a softer landing than many churches due to it's more rigid hierarchy and wealth. A lot of small independent churches are just going to cease to be the next 20 years in America.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Bond wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:16 am
The numbers on religious adherents come 2030 are going to be real interesting. A lot of Boomer and Silent family matriarchs and patriarchs that are one of the main reasons keeping their Gen X and Millennial offspring active about to pass onward. The LDS Church is probably going to have a softer landing than many churches due to it's more rigid hierarchy and wealth. A lot of small independent churches are just going to cease to be the next 20 years in America.
Indeed. I saw one graph (I'll try to track it down) that showed if the trends in Utah continue, by 2030 there will be 30% less Mormons in Utah than right now. This, despite Utah being one of the fastest growing States.

Let that sink in.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:10 am
Wonhyo wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:05 am
Yes, it is an unmitigated disaster.

I don't know how you can find any positive news from this if you are the church.
They just hem and haw and say, “well all the other religions are declining too. This one study says we might be declining slightly slower than them, so everything is fine.”
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

The Church is currently constructing 7 additional Temples in Utah, at great expense, for a declining member population. Is someone laundering money?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/tem ... t?lang=eng
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:09 pm
The Church is currently constructing 7 additional Temples in Utah, at great expense, for a declining member population. Is someone laundering money?

Yup. I guarantee you that if a thorough investigation was conducted into the whole City Creek Center complex project that there would be indictments for money-laundering all over the place and who knows what else. And I wish people would stop calling this a 'church', it's anything but. :lol:
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:21 pm

And I wish people would stop calling this a 'church', it's anything but. :lol:
I wish the same thing.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

IHAQ wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:09 pm

How many of the contractors have personal ties to wealthy LDS families?