Mormon Missionary Sex Offender?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
consiglieri
Prophet

Mormon Missionary Sex Offender?

Post by consiglieri »

It appears an LDS missionary may have confessed on camera to soliciting nude pics from a person he believed to be an 11-year old girl.

https://youtu.be/_QFgc1PWaek

This is a hard watch. Consider yourselves warned.
drumdude
God

Re: Mormon Missionary Sex Offender?

Post by drumdude »

I'm hopeful there will be a time in the near future when people won't believe that a trillion dollar corporation was allowed to send out tens of thousands of teenagers to do door-to-door sales for two years without adequate training or screening and zero pay...
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Wow!! That was tough to watch.

I wonder if the church should completely rethink its missionary program at this point. It doesn't appear to be making a dent in church growth.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It's amazing how the other missionary's kneejerk reaction is to protect his own, no matter the situation. He will make a wonderful Mormon leader, putting the needs of the Mormon church to avoid embarrassment and accountability above everything else, including the safety of children. He's got "Stake President material" written all over him.
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

I feel bad that my first reaction was: "Boy, am I glad that everyone didn't have a portable camera when I was a missionary".

Missionaries have such a position of trust. Looking back 25+ years, there were all kinds of inappropriate shenanigans (by today's standards) going on in my mission, and seemingly sanctioned by parents and leaders.
latterdaytemplar
Sunbeam

Post by latterdaytemplar »

At the time that I was serving my mission, we missionaries could not use social media; that generally started to happen among missionaries once COVID-19 hit. Prior to that time, however, each missionary had complete access to their shared phone's call history, text history, etc. On P-days when we emailed home, a missionary and the computer that he used were always to be in sight of his companion.

I would assume that each mission president institutes similar rules for his respective jurisdiction; if not, then that is a failure on the mission president's part. And, if such rules are instituted, then it would be not only the offending missionary's fault, but also his assigned companion for not reporting such offenses to his mission president (unless the messages were sent outside of his companion's view, for example, at night when his companion was sleeping and if such messages were deleted before the companion could see them).

Hopefully, the mission president was informed of this by his companion shortly afterward and sent home. Hopefully law enforcement (local to his assigned area or to his home, wherever he is now) was informed in case of future occurrences.
"… Behold, we will end the conflict."
—Captain Moroni (Alma 44:10)

Whatever conflicts that you come across in life, they can be beaten. Adopt Captain Moroni's attitude: be of the disposition to end the conflict, and then act on that disposition.
latterdaytemplar
Sunbeam

Post by latterdaytemplar »

Just finishing the video and seeing that law enforcement was called. So disregard my last line since law enforcement already knows.
"… Behold, we will end the conflict."
—Captain Moroni (Alma 44:10)

Whatever conflicts that you come across in life, they can be beaten. Adopt Captain Moroni's attitude: be of the disposition to end the conflict, and then act on that disposition.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:08 pm
It appears an LDS missionary may have confessed on camera to soliciting nude pics from a person he believed to be an 11-year old girl.

https://youtu.be/_QFgc1PWaek

This is a hard watch. Consider yourselves warned.
It’s worth remembering that this guy was assigned to a mission, through the divine inspiration of the spirit of discernment, by an Apostle.