Utah State Board of Education member attacks 'blasphemous' BYU presentation

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Utah State Board of Education member attacks 'blasphemous' BYU presentation

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Natalie Cline, an apparently LDS member of the Utah State Board of Education, attacked a BYU professor on Facebook for allegedly committing the thoughtcrime of teaching students about gender identity and doing so in a religious framework that was not fundamentalist Mormon.

https://www.Facebook.com/photo?fbid=211 ... 6519779459
[Not official USBE Board position]

Student texted the following picture to her mom during her Human Development class at BYU Provo just THIS MORNING along with this key takeaway from the teacher “not masculine, not feminine, Christlike. Androgyny is the key”"

This is blasphemous and goes completely against gospel doctrine. These teachings are not endorsed by the Church or BYU, but by wolves in sheep's clothing that wish to devour the flock.
Meanwhile, last year, Cline was claiming to be the "target" of a "mob" of people trying to "cancel" her. In reality, she is the censor. She is the one trying to block other people from having a voice. Obviously, she is trying to get this BYU professor fired.

Here is the allegedly Satanic graphic discussing obviously scientific concepts like gender identity and the fact that intersex people exist:
IHAQ
God

Re: Utah State Board of Education member attacks 'blasphemous' BYU presentation

Post by IHAQ »

I think the teacher and other pupils have a reasonable expectation of privacy when in the classroom setting. The child who took the photo and sent it to Cline might have broken the law. Perhaps someone familiar with Utah law might chime in.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

She is an advocate for homeschooling, but it's not enough for her to control what she teaches her children at home, her mission is that the entire public school system MUST adhere to her whacky beliefs. You'll notice that she starts just about everything with something like "[not official school board position]" cause she was censured by the board for her bombastic social media posts and they made it clear that she needs to make it clear that she doesn't represent the board or their views. Half the time I am surprised that she and her types haven't apostatized on the other side since the church hasn't gotten weak and soft.

I also think it is funny how many people talk about BYU problems of "parents need to be aware." As though BYU students are adults and still need their parents watching over every little aspect of their life.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Nice diagram!
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

This should intensify the LDS musket fire at BYU. Elder Holland should urge the BYU administration to only allow sugar cookies served with pure wholesome milk.

No suggestive thoughts of a liberal nature should be placed into the heads of BYU students prior to their weekend soakings.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Dwight wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:06 am
She is an advocate for homeschooling, but it's not enough for her to control what she teaches her children at home, her mission is that the entire public school system MUST adhere to her whacky beliefs.
This is a great point. Fundamentalists have convinced themselves that they cannot have "religious freedom" unless they are in power over the people who disagree.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

malkie wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:46 pm
Nice diagram!
Agreed. I'm going to steal it (with property attribution) to use in online discussions about sex, gender, and sexual orientation.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:51 pm
malkie wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:46 pm
Nice diagram!
Agreed. I'm going to steal it (with property attribution) to use in online discussions about sex, gender, and sexual orientation.
There are some variations at https://www.itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/ that emphasize different aspects of sexuality.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:20 am
I think the teacher and other pupils have a reasonable expectation of privacy when in the classroom setting. The child who took the photo and sent it to Cline might have broken the law. Perhaps someone familiar with Utah law might chime in.
The term "reasonable expectation of privacy" is a little tricky because it is used in two different contexts: (1) the fourth amendment (protection against unreasonable search and seizure by the government); and (2) invasion of privacy by non-government actors. It's relatively to find the answer to your question: most state codes are online and searchable by keywords. Utah is no exception.

But that won't answer your question about whether the adult (odds are overwhelming that the student was not a child) who took the picture violated the Utah privacy statute. Reasonable expectation of privacy is more than saying something like "I didn't expect that someone would take my picture in a classroom. It's all very context specific but, in general, the more people who have the information, the less privacy a person a reasonable person can expect. If you attend a course at a university, everyone in the class knows you are there, as well as the teacher and any number of people connected with the university itself. In that setting, it's hard to argue that the fact that you are taking the class is entitled to privacy protections. On the other hand, if the university planted hidden microphones in the classroom that intercepted conversations between you and a friend that were clearly intended to be private (i.e., you made sure no one else was around, you used quiet voices, you told the friend that she needed to keep the conversation confidential) it is much more likely that a court would agree that you had a reasonable expectation of privacy because of the precautions you took.

Now, the university itself, or even the teacher, could create a reasonable expectation of privacy by having rules or policies prohibiting use of cameras during class. Or divulging the content of lectures outside of class. But it would certainly be odd to prohibit student from discussing what they learned in a class outside of the classroom. It would be kind of antithetical to the project of educating students.

So, I doubt that taking the photo or texting it to her mother violates any law. However, if the teacher is harmed by the Facebook posting, the teacher may have a cause of action against the mother under a privacy related tort known as "false light." It may be literally true that the instructor used the words and phrases "“not masculine," "not feminine," "Christlike," and "Androgyny is the key,”" but I'd bet good money that the way the tweet combined them misrepresents what the instructor actually said in away that makes her appear as contradicting church doctrine. False light applies to statements that are literally true, but are incomplete or taken out of context in a way that creates a false impression. That could be determined by an audio recording of the lecture.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Some of the students in the picture may be identifiable.

In the college where I worked we had strict rules about photos of students, identifying students, telling outsiders if students were on campus, etc.

In principle, I suspect that at the very least a photo like that may need to be cropped before the college, never mind a third party, could publish it.

IANAL :)