"If This Mission Were A Horse, I'd Shoot It." -- Jeffrey R. Holland

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

"If This Mission Were A Horse, I'd Shoot It." -- Jeffrey R. Holland

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Holland sure loves to use images of gun violence in his speeches. Recently, he tried to blame the mission and missionaries for the shrinking membership in England and told them if their mission was a horse, he would shoot it.

I'm sure the shrinking membership in England has nothing to do with the product the missionaries have been given to sell.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ntent=PSR1
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Wonhyo
CTR A

Re: "If This Mission Were A Horse, I'd Shoot It." -- Jeffrey R. Holland

Post by Wonhyo »

Good grief, Jeff...

Paying for the privilege of being a full-time missionary, subject to the ecclesiastical abuses that it all entails, becomes less and less attractive every time Holland visits a mission and opens his mouth.
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Yeah, yell at the 18 year old kids just out of high school Jeff. All the church’s problems are their fault, not the 80 year olds who have been running things for half a century.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

After years of gathering data and analyzing it, I feel safe in concluding that the LDS Church’s methodology is, to a large extent, assholery. It’s not that these LDS leaders are necessarily assholes by nature, but it is pretty clear that becoming an LDS leader often turns a person into an insufferable, self-righteous asshole when he acts in the role of an LDS leader. Elder Bednar may come by it more naturally. I think Holland honestly had to work at it, but boy did he perfect his assholery in his leadership role.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Absolutely ridiculous beyond description. Grow the F*Celestial Kingdom UP JEFF.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:06 am
After years of gathering data and analyzing it, I feel safe in concluding that the LDS Church’s methodology is, to a large extent, assholery. It’s not that these LDS leaders are necessarily assholes by nature, but it is pretty clear that becoming an LDS leader often turns a person into an insufferable, self-righteous asshole when he acts in the role of an LDS leader. Elder Bednar may come by it more naturally. I think Holland honestly had to work at it, but boy did he perfect his assholery in his leadership role.
The same thing has been known to happen to lawyers who become judges for the record.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:57 am
The same thing has been known to happen to lawyers who become judges for the record.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
tapirrider
Sunbeam

Post by tapirrider »

Question for Jeff - A horse or a tapir?
Wonhyo
CTR A

Post by Wonhyo »

The church has felt comfortable in its a**holery towards members, and especially missionaries, for the past however many decades because members and missionaries have consistently viewed and treated leaders like Holland as God's literal mouthpieces on earth. The sense of power, of influence, of being venerated as prophets must be intoxicating. It's very much a form of corporate nobility and the members are simply subjects of the crown, in a sense.

Giving someone near absolute ecclesiastical power over you is cultish, and it's exactly what Mormons have done since the beginning. Arguably, it happens in other churches, too, but the extent to which that spiritual control washes over Mormons is really remarkable.

I grew up out in the Morridor in a household that had bookshelves filled with materials written by strident leaders such as Harold Lee, Boyd Packer, Spencer Kimball, Mark Petersen, Joseph Fielding Smith, Bruce McConkie, and others in their theological corner. General Conferences were broadcast throughout the house on each television and radio at high volume. Mormon leaders were, to people like us at that time, expositors of absolute truth and their words were take-it-to-the-bank scripture. And I don't think our home was much different than any other Mormon household. In fact, compared to my friends' families, we were notably more liberal.

Imagine then, the kind of havoc that a leader who spouts a bunch of horse crap can wreak on members who are totally "in". They'll take almost any level of abuse and keep coming back to ask for more if it means pleasing God and earning their way to Mormon heaven.

Until more members vote with their feet and empty the eyeball-splitting florescent lighting of the average Mormons chapel on Sunday, the church leadership is unlikely to change how they view or treat the members and missionaries.
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:34 am
consiglieri wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:57 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: