Relatives of Utah family mass shooting release statement

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Relatives of Utah family mass shooting release statement

Post by drumdude »

As we try to make sense of this unthinkable tragedy we wish to express our gratitude for the outpouring of prayers, love, kindness and support. It is during times like these that our thoughts are drawn towards a loving and all knowing God who created a beautiful plan of salvation that extends far beyond the mortal loss of those most precious to us. The hurt and humility felt through these experiences only serves to draw us closer to Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and to express our overwhelming gratitude for his infinite, beautiful and powerful atonement. We invite all to seek the peace that can only be found through Him.

We wish to express our sincere appreciation for law enforcement, first responders, medical examiners, ecclesiastical leaders and all who have participated in this process. We hope the honor of your service is reciprocated. Thank you, we love you for the difficult service you render to communities.

We recognize heartbreak extends beyond our family and friends and is shared by neighbors, classmates and community. We express our love and appreciation to the people of Enoch for their warmth and love towards this beautiful family. We know that some may struggle with this insensible loss. It is our hope that any who need support, find the strength to reach out for appropriate help.

We would caution media outlets and the public at large about using our family's story for any advocacy of political agendas. Protective arms were purposely removed from the home prior to the incident because all adults were properly trained to protect human life. This is the type of loss that will continue to occur in families, communities and this nation when protective arms are no longer accessible. It is our desire that the media turn their attention to the weightier matters surrounding this event. In place of political advocacy, we would encourage reporting about the value of all human life, the great works of God that can render a forgiving heart, how religion can heal and enlarge our capacity for love, and a return to foundational principles of peace within our nation. The reality is this tragedy serves as a call to the memory of God, religion, freedom, peace, and family and the efforts that are required to maintain those freedoms.

Details of funeral plans will be released as they are finalized. We ask for patience, understanding and respect of privacy. A GoFundMe account has been started for those who wish to assist with funeral arrangements and restoration efforts."

ExMormon Reddit is discussing this statement, it does seem a bit odd, almost as if it was written with consultation from the LDS church’s PR team.

Or is it simply their very strong 2nd amendment beliefs shining through? Is this the new normal for mass shootings? “Please don’t use this shooting to steal my guns. Send thoughts and prayers. In lieu of flowers please donate to the Trump campaign.”
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Relatives of Utah family mass shooting release statement

Post by Res Ipsa »

I'm not sure I understand this part:
Protective arms were purposely removed from the home prior to the incident because all adults were properly trained to protect human life. This is the type of loss that will continue to occur in families, communities and this nation when protective arms are no longer accessible.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:20 pm
Protective arms were purposely removed from the home prior to the incident because all adults were properly trained to protect human life. This is the type of loss that will continue to occur in families, communities and this nation when protective arms are no longer accessible.
Protective arms = euphemism for guns

They’re saying that guns were removed from the house before the shooting. And they’re asserting (without evidence) that gun controls won’t make any difference in the mass shootings epidemic. Or maybe the evidence they’re offering is the death of their own family, which just highlights how morbid and selfish their political statement is.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Res Ipsa wrote:
What first came to my mind was perhaps a mental health professional recommended firearms be removed from the home and a safety plan discussed. Just a guess though.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Alas
Nursery

Post by Alas »

msnobody wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:33 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

What first came to my mind was perhaps a mental health professional recommended firearms be removed from the home and a safety plan discussed. Just a guess though.
Please do not use this for political purposes, because we want to use it for our own political purposes.
Alas
Nursery

Post by Alas »

Alas wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:55 pm
msnobody wrote:

Please do not use this for political purposes, because we want to use it for our own political purposes.
Me banging my head against the wall. The guy is a violent creep and if all the guns really had been taken away, then he couldn’t have killed his whole family, because knives are too slow. I am all for taking out all the second amendment people and putting them in a gunny sack and tossing them in the ocean, in a shark infested area, then add some hamburger as chum.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Alas wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:55 pm
msnobody wrote:

I’m just speaking from a mental health perspective, nothing more, nothing less. I’m sure I should learn more about this tragic event before posting.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

The only thing that made sense to me is that the husband, the perpetrator, removed all the guns from the house before returning to do the deed because "all adults had been properly trained" to defend themselves against him, should they have had access.

Assuming this is right, then it just goes to show you how little guns do to protect people. Aside from proper training, you have to really have a lot of luck on your side to set the scene up in such a way that the guns become useful.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:53 pm
The only thing that made sense to me is that the husband, the perpetrator, removed all the guns from the house before returning to do the deed because "all adults had been properly trained" to defend themselves against him, should they have had access.

Assuming this is right, then it just goes to show you how little guns do to protect people. Aside from proper training, you have to really have a lot of luck on your side to set the scene up in such a way that the guns become useful.
That is the case.
A Utah man who fatally shot his five children, mother-in-law and wife and then killed himself removed guns from the home just days before the murder-suicide, leaving the family 'vulnerable,' a relative said on Friday.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rable.html

The underlying suggestion, that more guns in the home = increased safety, is very troubling (but it will please the gun lobby). If there were no guns in the house, and nobody was trained in gun handling, perhaps this family would still be alive.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

IHAQ wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:06 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:53 pm

That is the case.
A Utah man who fatally shot his five children, mother-in-law and wife and then killed himself removed guns from the home just days before the murder-suicide, leaving the family 'vulnerable,' a relative said on Friday.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rable.html

The underlying suggestion, that more guns in the home = increased safety, is very troubling (but it will please the gun lobby). If there were no guns in the house, and nobody was trained in gun handling, perhaps this family would still be alive.
Thanks, IHAQ. That explains it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.