Aging reversed in mice. Implications for religion if aging is solved for humans?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Aging reversed in mice. Implications for religion if aging is solved for humans?

Post by drumdude »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/12/health/r ... index.html
In Boston labs, old, blind mice have regained their eyesight, developed smarter, younger brains and built healthier muscle and kidney tissue. On the flip side, young mice have prematurely aged, with devastating results to nearly every tissue in their bodies.

The experiments show aging is a reversible process, capable of being driven “forwards and backwards at will,” said anti-aging expert David Sinclair, a professor of genetics in the Blavatnik Institute at Harvard Medical School and codirector of the Paul F. Glenn Center for Biology of Aging Research.

Our bodies hold a backup copy of our youth that can be triggered to regenerate, said Sinclair, the senior author of a new paper showcasing the work of his lab and international scientists.

The combined experiments, published for the first time Thursday in the journal Cell, challenge the scientific belief aging is the result of genetic mutations that undermine our DNA, creating a junkyard of damaged cellular tissue that can lead to deterioration, disease and death.

“It’s not junk, it’s not damage that causes us to get old,” said Sinclair, who described the work last year at Life Itself, a health and wellness event presented in partnership with CNN.

“We believe it’s a loss of information — a loss in the cell’s ability to read its original DNA so it forgets how to function — in much the same way an old computer may develop corrupted software. I call it the information theory of aging.”

Jae-Hyun Yang, a genetics research fellow in the Sinclair Lab who coauthored the paper, said he expects the findings “will transform the way we view the process of aging and the way we approach the treatment of diseases associated with aging.”
How would the plan of happiness work sans death?
Moksha
God

Re: Aging reversed in mice. Implications for religion if aging is solved for humans?

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:41 am
This has the potential of diverting much-needed tithing revenues.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Aging reversed in mice. Implications for religion if aging is solved for humans?

Post by doubtingthomas »

drumdude wrote:

A lot of people become religious after the age of 40. If science can significantly slow down aging, it would be a big blow to religion.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

This is very intresting.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:26 pm
drumdude wrote:
A lot of people become religious after the age of 40. If science can significantly slow down aging, it would be a big blow to religion.
Not necessarily. Think of all of the extra tithing dollars that the Church can extract from devout members, if we can keep them around for 200+ years.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:04 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:26 pm

Not necessarily. Think of all of the extra tithing dollars that the Church can extract from devout members, if we can keep them around for 200+ years.
And the membership stats. Instead of removing members after 110 years, the church would never have to remove a member from its rolls absent excommunication, resignation, or a known death. All those who quietly fade away from activity will remain members in perpetuity.
PseudoPaul
Star B

Post by PseudoPaul »

If age related death were eliminated, everyone would still eventually just die of cancer or accident or something else.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

It looks like we now know why a few of the Book of Mormon Prophets such as Amos and Ammaron lived very long lives. Link
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:04 am
Dr. Shades just said,
We all live and learn, bud.
It's funny that most people begin to take religion seriously when they get older. The median age in Utah is 31 (as of 2021) and Utah has the nation's highest birth rate. However, the large majority of LDS members are over 31 and only 22% of members are between the ages of 18 to 29.

In comparison, 35% of nones are between the ages of 18 to 29.