Russell Nelson Is Not Popular Among Many Members

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Russell Nelson Is Not Popular Among Many Members

Post by KevinSim »

dastardly stem wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 pm
Nah...God doesn't know.
Stem, why do you think God doesn't know?
dastardly stem wrote:And he can't get us messages we can rely on anyway. He tells one person one thing like this one religion is right and tells another person another thing.
I read a post by someone a long time ago that referred to a study that involved asking a large sample of people from many different religious persuasions to ask God if their particular church was true. Each person said the answer s/he got from God was that her/his church was true. The person making the post guessed this was happening because of confirmation bias. When I first asked God if the Book of Mormon was true and got what I thought was a yes answer, I realized that I had wanted a yes answer, and I knew in my heart that I couldn't count on God answering my question until I was as prepared for a no answer as I was for a yes answer. I didn't call my problem confirmation bias at the time, but that was what it was. So it doesn't bug me that different people get different answers allegedly from God than I get. The only person that knows whether s/he has jumped over all the hurdles s/he needs to to guarantee that God will respond to her/his question is that person herself/himself. All I can know is whether or not I have overcome my own personal confirmation bias.
dastardly stem wrote:Also in the passage of time, he says one thing, and some time later he contradicts himself.
I think people who are put off by supposed contradictions are kind of naïve. What even is a contradiction in a natural language anyway? Can you apply formal logical laws to English? I saw a pair of signs together on a highway two or three years ago, the first of which said, "Keep right except to pass," and the second of which said, "Do not pass." Applying logic to that, one gets, "Keep right period," but that's not what the pair of signs really meant. So when I hear people complaining about a contradiction, I wonder if maybe they just don't understand what the other person means by the terms s/he is using.
dastardly stem wrote:Or maybe there's no God at all.
Perhaps this is the real issue. I personally don't see much point in doubting the existence of God.
Last edited by KevinSim on Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:06 pm
I read a post by someone a long time ago that referred to a study that involved asking a large sample of people from many different religious persuasions to ask God if their particular church was true. Each person said the answer s/he got from God was that her/his church was true. The person making the post guessed this was happening because of confirmation bias. When I first asked God if the Book of Mormon was true and got what I thought was a yes answer, I realized that I had wanted a yes answer, and I knew in my heart that I couldn't count on God answering my question until I was as prepared for a no answer as I was for a yes answer. I didn't call my problem confirmation bias at the time, but that was what it was. So it doesn't bug me that different people get different answers allegedly from God than I get. The only person that knows whether s/he has jumped over all the hurdles s/he needs to to guarantee that God will respond to her/his question is that person herself/himself. All I can know is whether or not I have overcome my own personal confirmation bias.
So… you know that all those people getting answers about their particular beliefs being true are experiencing confirmation bias, but YOU are not experiencing confirmation bias, because you, and only you, can know whether you are experiencing confirmation bias. And you have concluded you are not, because you have done what needs to be done to get your version of god to respond in the affirmative. And only YOU know what needs to be done to get your version of god to do that.

Have I stated your argument correctly?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:40 pm
Since when did every opinion tossed out by the 12 become infallible? I do not remember such being taught.
Huckelberry, was that directed at me? If so, I never said every opinion tossed out became infallible. I just believe God wants me to accept it.
MetaProf
Nursery

Post by MetaProf »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:06 pm
All I can know is whether or not I have overcome my own personal confirmation bias.
The Dunning-Kruger test, but for perceived abilities to overcome personal confirmation bias.

Perfect. A conjunction of fallacies.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:52 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:40 pm
Since when did every opinion tossed out by the 12 become infallible? I do not remember such being taught.
Huckelberry, was that directed at me? If so, I never said every opinion tossed out became infallible. I just believe God wants me to accept it.
Kevin, Not particularly directed at you but you might relate to it. I do not think that if President Nelson does not believe in evolution that it requires you to stop believing. I do not think such a requirement is Mormon doctrine. I do not think it is a good idea whether doctrine or not. I do not think it is clear what he thinks about evolution. He may not believe it but the comments might be more political aimed at saying God is responsible and not aimed at a final view of how God did it.

You are probably stuck making your own decision as to what you believe.
PseudoPaul
Star B

Post by PseudoPaul »

LDS Freedom forum seems like a sweaty hive of mentally ill incels.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

PseudoPaul wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:22 am
LDS Freedom forum seems like a sweaty hive of mentally ill incels.
It's a weird place.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.