Did the Ancient Greeks do religion better?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Did the Ancient Greeks do religion better?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Morley wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:25 pm
I think it more likely that the invention of movable type played a bigger role in bringing about the Scientific Revolution than Christianity.

I guess that I don't see the stable, discoverable, cause-and-effect Christian worldview that some of you do. The Medieval Christian god who preceded the Enlightenment was arbitrary, fickle, and malevolent--a deliverer of unpredictable plague, war, and famine. How this is a substantively different god from the deities presented in Homer?

edit: I'm not sure that the case has been made that any religion was necessary--as either scaffolding or foil--for the development of science.
I don’t think that case has been made. I certainly didn’t intend to make it.

My impression may be similar to the just so stories of evo-devo. I was thinking more of Aquinas in terms of rules or laws, but I’ll be the first to admit it may be a bad take.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Morley
God

Re: Did the Ancient Greeks do religion better?

Post by Morley »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:49 pm
People who participated in religious cultures did much for science. Early Greek philosophers must be indispensable entries on such a list.
Absolutely.

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:29 pm
I was thinking more of Aquinas in terms of rules or laws
Thank you. I can certainly appreciate this.