Do you have the stones to be a true Mormon?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
High Priest

Do you have the stones to be a true Mormon?

Post by sock puppet »

The use of magical stones by Mormons did not end with Joseph Smith. See page 255 of D Michael Quinn's "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View (Salt Lake City UT, Signature Books, 1998) which refers to a November 19, 1986 written statement by James Wirthlin McConkie II that reads:
"When I was twelve years old [in 1958], my grandfather, who had been a mission president in the 1940s, gave me a small stone. He was a Latter-day Saint who frequently had visions and dreams. Grandfather said that he found this stone while he was pondering the significance of the Prophet Joseph's seer stone. Grandfather held this stone in his right hand as he spoke in Church meetings, and rubbed the stone between his right thumb and index finger. He said that when he rubbed this stone it gave him the spirit of inspiration to speak. Grandfather said he carried it in his pocket all the time, and used it whenever he spoke in Church. He told me to carry it with me, and that it would give me inspiration as I spoke."
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Do you have the stones to be a true Mormon?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Closest I came was a lucky rock that I always took with me to court appearances. I rubbed it as well prior to presenting my argument to a judge. I can't claim that it gave me inspiration, although sometimes a judge reacted to an argument I had just made as if I were dumb as a rock. :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Welp. There you have it. Yet another thing about Mormonism I didn’t know - magic rocks were taken seriously. No wonder my parents thought crystals has a little sumthin sumthin to them. Crazy.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Thank whatever is out there, if any, that the railroad came and brought civilization to Utah and the surrounding areas. I can only imagine how crazy we'd be if still isolated.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Some enterprising Mormon has already seized upon this idea:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1278928132 ... 1278928132
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Might one use egg-shaped pieces of jade?
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

malkie wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:50 pm
I make mine out of unobtanium.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:58 pm
malkie wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:50 pm
I make mine out of unobtanium.
I prefer eludium.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I pick up rocks occasionally because of their visual interest or perhaps shape. This rock friend idea seems kind of pleasant if not taken too seriously.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

In the 1970s, it was a fad for a short time to have a Pet Rock (and there were people selling them, some came in a small box, and had a name and brief background included). My sister got one. I laughed my butt off then; I had no idea then about Joseph Smith's stone, and much less that a church authority had a stone in his pocket that he rubbed for inspiration as late as 1958.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats