BYP Responds to Elder Bednar - It is Inappropriate to Ask Questions on the Sabbath After the Sacrament

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
wenglund
Star A

Re: BYP Responds to Elder Bednar - It is Inappropriate to Ask Questions on the Sabbath After the Sacrament

Post by wenglund »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:25 am
wenglund wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:04 am

straw_man.jpg

Thanks, Wade Englund
You are welcome to come up to the Celestial Forum and have a discussion on the Book of Abraham, if you care, and show me the strawman.

Historical Predynastic Egypt vs. Book of Abraham False Narrative
Anubis in Facsimile No. 3 and Mormon Deception
“King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head”

Bring John Gee and all of FAIR. I will take them all on with one hand tied behind my back.

I WILL KICK THEIR ASSES!

And, I will kick yours too, you little worm.
My straw man meme was in response to your "target" meme ON THIS THREAD. You should have been able to realize this by how I cited your meme when posting mine, both of which were solely ON THIS THREAD. Please try and stay focused.

These days I tend not to get involved in the kinds of discussions on the Book of Abraham you linked to because they tend to lean heavily, if not exclusively, on the puny arms of flesh, and as such they completely ignore and even distract from the spiritual purpose for which the Book of Abraham was revealed as well as the rightful means by which the spiritual purpose can be achieved.

From what I have seen over the years, such discussions have consumed enormous amounts of time and energy, with little or no positive return on the investment, Granted, they have resulted in large amounts of counterproductive ranker and contention, while producing miniscule, if any. progress in the field Egyptology or Egyptian history, let alone the far more important growth in faith.

To me, this is not the best record on which to rest bragging rights or give cause to inflate one's chest and ego about what one imagines one will do to opponents. But, to each their own.

Now, on the other hand, if their are any discussions you can point me to in which the Book of Abraham is discussed in terms of the spiritual purpose for which it was revealed, and how it may best be used in achieving that purpose, then please let me know.

Thanks, Wade Englund

Now, if there is a Book of Abraham discussion you can point me to, where the discussion is focused on the spiritual purpose.

Thanks, Wade Englund
Shulem
God

Re: BYP Responds to Elder Bednar - It is Inappropriate to Ask Questions on the Sabbath After the Sacrament

Post by Shulem »

wenglund wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:56 pm
My straw man meme was in response to your "target" meme ON THIS THREAD. You should have been able to realize this by how I cited your meme when posting mine, both of which were solely ON THIS THREAD. Please try and stay focused.

Okay, Wade. I will try and do better.

I really don't spend much time down here in the Terrestrial Forum and prefer to ramble on and on up in Celestial, mostly with myself. ;)

You have a good day.

PS. I'm sorry that I can't point to a Book of Abraham thread that will meet your needs.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

wenglund wrote:
Shulem wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:25 am

You are welcome to come up to the Celestial Forum and have a discussion on the Book of Abraham, if you care, and show me the strawman.

Historical Predynastic Egypt vs. Book of Abraham False Narrative
Anubis in Facsimile No. 3 and Mormon Deception
“King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head”

Bring John Gee and all of FAIR. I will take them all on with one hand tied behind my back.

I WILL KICK THEIR ASSES!

And, I will kick yours too, you little worm.

The call to focus needs to be directed inwardly. Drumdude posted a very apt “circling the outcome after the shot” meme, and Shulem did respond to several of your comments that were on this thread, which you ignored.
These days I tend not to get involved in the kinds of discussions on the Book of Abraham you linked to because they tend to lean heavily, if not exclusively, on the puny arms of flesh, and as such they completely ignore and even distract from the spiritual purpose for which the Book of Abraham was revealed as well as the rightful means by which the spiritual purpose can be achieved.
lol. Well, a faked religious writing doesn’t inspire the reverence you hope for, unfortunately.
From what I have seen over the years, such discussions have consumed enormous amounts of time and energy, with little or no positive return on the investment, Granted, they have resulted in large amounts of counterproductive ranker and contention, while producing miniscule, if any. progress in the field Egyptology or Egyptian history, let alone the far more important growth in faith.

To me, this is not the best record on which to rest bragging rights or give cause to inflate one's chest and ego about what one imagines one will do to opponents. But, to each their own.

Now, on the other hand, if their are any discussions you can point me to in which the Book of Abraham is discussed in terms of the spiritual purpose for which it was revealed, and how it may best be used in achieving that purpose, then please let me know.
That is a LOT of argument trying to support a fraudulent document. I find Shulem’s arguments far more convincing. Of course, he is being accurate and consistent in his analysis and is using facts. That matters a lot, in the end.
wenglund
Star A

Post by wenglund »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:34 pm
wenglund wrote:
Okay, Wade. I will try and do better.

I really don't spend much time down here in the Terrestrial Forum and prefer to ramble on and on up in Celestial, mostly with myself. ;)

You have a good day.

PS. I'm sorry that I can't point to a Book of Abraham thread that will meet your needs.
I appreciate the kind response and I will wish you all the best in return. I hope you derive as much joy and enlightenment from the threads that meet your needs as those that meet mine.

Thanks, Wade Englund
wenglund
Star A

Post by wenglund »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:45 pm
That is a LOT of argument trying to support a fraudulent document. I find Shulem’s arguments far more convincing. Of course, he is being accurate and consistent in his analysis and is using facts. That matters a lot, in the end.
I wasn't presuming to support the Book of Abraham or any book of scripture, etc.. That is the role of the Holy Spirit. At best, I will try and provide room for faith to those so inclined.

On the other hand, it is reasonable to expect that those of the world would be more persuaded, and even only persuaded by others of the world. As Paul said, "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Cor. 2:14)

Thanks, Wade Englund
Last edited by wenglund on Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

wenglund wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:05 am
Marcus wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:45 pm
I wasn't presuming to support the Book of Abraham or any book of scripture, etc.. That is the role of the Holy Spirit. At best, I will try and provide room for faith to those so inclined.

On the other hand, it is reasonable to expect that those of the world would be more pursued, and even only persuaded by others of the world. As Paul said, "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Cor. 2:14)…
Oh brother. I’ll sprain my eyes if I let them roll as much as they want to over this post. Good grief. What educated adult talks like this? Especially about a conman who faked a book, pretending he could read hieroglyphs. What nonsense. But, as you point out, you can’t support the Book of Abraham in any real way, so I suppose invoking the imaginary is the most dramatic hand-waving you can do to try to draw attention away from the nonsense behind the curtain.
wenglund
Star A

Post by wenglund »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:39 am
Oh brother. I’ll sprain my eyes if I let them roll as much as they want to over this post. Good grief. What educated adult talks like this? Especially about a conman who faked a book, pretending he could read hieroglyphs. What nonsense. But, as you point out, you can’t support the Book of Abraham in any real way, so I suppose invoking the imaginary is the most dramatic hand-waving you can do to draw attention away from the nonsense behind the curtain.
This is a variation on the Great and Spacious Building party line. It all boils down to: the things of God are foolish to the natural man. If it works for you to pridefully limit the horizons of your understanding to temporal mortality, then so be it. It doesn't at all work for me. To each their own.

Thanks, -Wade Englund
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Marcus wrote:
But, as you point out, you can’t support the Book of Abraham in any real way, so I suppose invoking the imaginary is the most dramatic hand-waving you can do to draw attention away from the nonsense behind the curtain.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:47 am
Marcus wrote:
But, as you point out, you can’t support the Book of Abraham in any real way, so I suppose invoking the imaginary is the most dramatic hand-waving you can do to draw attention away from the nonsense behind the curtain.
:lol: What cuties!!!

I seem to recall DrW explaining that believing in imaginary things was a way of self-soothing, like a pacifier for adults.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Now, if there is a Book of Abraham discussion you can point me to, where the discussion is focused on the spiritual purpose.

Thanks, Wade Englund
That says everything about the validity of the Book Of Abraham as anything other than a product of Joseph Smith’s imagination. The study of the Book Of Abraham has turned Gee into a laughing stock amongst Egyptology circles - outside of Mormon apologetics nobody takes his work on it seriously.

When was the last time the Book Of Abraham was quoted by an Apostle at General Conference?