BYP Responds to Elder Bednar - It is Inappropriate to Ask Questions on the Sabbath After the Sacrament

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: BYP Responds to Elder Bednar - It is Inappropriate to Ask Questions on the Sabbath After the Sacrament

Post by dastardly stem »

wenglund wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:04 pm

It should be noted that quite a few scientific and medical advancements were originally considered as crackpot or fantasies, and were mocked and ridiculed, including, Copernican revolution, Darwin's theory of evolution, Newton's celestial mechanics, antiseptic handwashing, Einstein's general relativity, plate tectonics, bone marrow transplants, etc.

Of interest is the number of modern inventions that were inspired by science fiction and fantasy: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 128080674/

Not a few of the technologies which are commonplace today would have been considered absurd or fantastical in times past.

What differentiated the mockers and scoffers from scientists who went on to innovate, is that the pride and dogmatism of the mockers prevented them from thinking beyond the narrow confines of their world view at the time, whereas the humility and open-mindedness of the innovators allowed them to be visionary and creative.

Does this sound familiar? ;)

Thanks, wade Englund-
IT should probably also be noted that by far most crackpot ideas or fanstsies proved to be nothing more than crackpot ideas and fantasies. So...there's hardly any reason to think the next crackpot idea will, or any one in particular, will turn into some great breakthrough.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Marcus
God

Re: BYP Responds to Elder Bednar - It is Inappropriate to Ask Questions on the Sabbath After the Sacrament

Post by Marcus »

wenglund wrote:

…Does this sound familiar? …
Let’s see… the clarion call of the Flat Earth Society?
wenglund
Star A

Post by wenglund »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:10 pm
wenglund wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:56 pm
These days I tend not to get involved in the kinds of discussions on the Book of Abraham you linked to because they tend to lean heavily, if not exclusively, on the puny arms of flesh, and as such they completely ignore and even distract from the spiritual purpose for which the Book of Abraham was revealed as well as the rightful means by which the spiritual purpose can be achieved.
Of course you're aware that the apostles of Mormonism NEVER engage in any kind of discussion about the Book of Abraham with anyone in a public setting. Why? Because they are afraid. They fear the unknown and that their supposed power will fail them in time of need whereby they are QUESTIONED on the spot by someone who knows their stuff.
To my knowledge, apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints NEVER engage in debates in public forums on any topic, let alone on topics not relevant to their mission of bringing people to Christ and enabling them to become like him.

Of course, critics who are full of themselves may imagine this is because of fear. But, reasonable people understand that apostles don't engage in such things because it does fit their apostolic purpose, and may even detract from their apostolic purpose.
I do not have a puny arm. I am powerful. I have great understanding. I recognize fraud when I see it and understand how religionists over-spiritualize things in order to make sense of things that make no sense.
Yes, you are a legend in your own mind. No doubt you graduated from the Stuart Smalley school of Self-Affirmation.

Thanks, Wade Englund
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:27 pm
wenglund wrote:

Well, he just compared his self-loathing pet theory (so, himself) to Copernicus, Darwin, and Newton.

-_-

Once again, a Mormon man thinks himself as far, far more than what he is. It’s the hubris thing. Hey, Wade Englund. When are you going to OBEY your god and prophets, and take an LDS woman through the temple? You know that’s the only way to get into Super VIP heaven, right? You’re not just responsible for your own salvation, but that of a goodly sister, too.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

wenglund wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:28 pm
To my knowledge, apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints NEVER engage in debates in public forums on any topic, let alone on topics not relevant to their mission of bringing people to Christ and enabling them to become like him.

I need not be like Christ. For one thing, I don't even like him or what he stands for. Jesus creeps me out, man. Look, I emulate values based on being a good person. Religion and paying tithes to the Corporation is not my style. You don't need religion to be a good person. You do need religion, however, to follow their rules and do what they say, for example: Don't touch thy privates inappropriately :shock: or you'll need to confess to the bishop that you did it.

Look, I think Christ should be more like me. I tell the truth! So, I'm setting an example for him!

wenglund wrote:
Of course, critics who are full of themselves may imagine this is because of fear. But, reasonable people understand that apostles don't engage in such things because it does fit their apostolic purpose, and may even detract from their apostolic purpose.

The apostles fear being challenged and having to answer for things they cannot explain. Mormon apostles are conditioned to think a certain way and are so utterly brainwashed. They are beyond redemption and totally immersed in lying for the Lord. I think of them as sons of perdition. They are utterly lost.

wenglund wrote:
Yes, you are a legend in your own mind. No doubt you graduated from the Stuart Smalley school of Self-Affirmation.

Thanks, Wade Englund

I like that!

Thanks.
wenglund
Star A

Post by wenglund »

dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:23 pm
IT should probably also be noted that by far most crackpot ideas or fanstsies proved to be nothing more than crackpot ideas and fantasies. So...there's hardly any reason to think the next crackpot idea will, or any one in particular, will turn into some great breakthrough.
Your statement could very well be the mockers motto. Their instinct isn't to thoughtfully consider and explore, but immediately reject and scoff whatever ideas falls outside the narrow confines of their dogmatic world view, and this because some, though not all of those ideas have proved to be crackpot and fantasy.

Innovators, on the other hand...

Thanks, Wade Englund-
wenglund
Star A

Post by wenglund »

Marcus wrote:
wenglund wrote:

They are hardly inside-the-box-only thinkers I had in mind.

Thanks, -Wade Englund
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

wenglund wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:53 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
Your statement could very well be the mockers motto. Their instinct isn't to thoughtfully consider and explore, but immediately reject and scoff whatever ideas falls outside the narrow confines of their dogmatic world view, and this because some, though not all of those ideas have proved to be crackpot and fantasy.

Thanks, Wade Englund-
Every accusation is a confession. Wade is a celibate, single, Mormon male and outright defiant heretic. Why he thinks he can lecture others is a mystery. Perhaps it’s the hubris LDS males are taught to have as ‘gods in embryo’. -_-

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
wenglund wrote:

wenglund wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:59 pm
They are hardly inside-the-box-only thinkers I had in mind…
Of course not. That’s because your thinking is illogical and you don’t realize that what you sound like to others is nothing like the image you apparently have built up in your mind. That’s why getting an education and continuing to learn is so important.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

wenglund wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:53 pm
dastardly stem wrote:

Thanks, Wade Englund-
It's not mocking to point out the mundane. most crackpot ideas aren't ingenious innovative ideas mocked until some start to recognize the value of them. They simply most often turn out to be nothing more than crackpot ideas. If that's mocking crackpot ideas, so be it. I see it more as using accurate descriptions. All my best.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos