Prominent critics who have joined the church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Prominent critics who have joined the church

Post by malkie »

On another thread,
2bizE wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:32 am
Is there a list of MoPogists who have left the church?
Below is a list of all of the prominent critics of the church that I know of who have joined the church:

---
Feel free to add to this list.

ETA: to be sure, I'm not knowledgeable on this topic - there could be hundreds, for all I know
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Re: Prominent critics who have joined the church

Post by Fence Sitter »

He does not fit the criteria of being a critic, but Don Bradley left the church and has since rejoined it.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:02 pm
He does not fit the criteria of being a critic, but Don Bradley left the church and has since rejoined it.
I thought, briefly, about Don. I agree that he didn't fit as a critic - nor, for that matter, as an apologist.

In spite of that he's the closest I could think of.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Does Lavina Fielding Anderson count?

Wikipedia wrote:She was excommunicated September 23 for apostasy, allegedly because of her article "The LDS Intellectual Community and Church Leadership: A Contemporary Chronology" in Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. She also wrote chapter 9, "The Grammar of Inequity" in the book Women and Authority: Re-emerging Mormon Feminism (1992).

Anderson continues to attend LDS Church services as a non-member. She writes on Mormon issues, including editing the multi-volume Case Reports of the Mormon Alliance, an ongoing collection of interviews with Mormons who believe they were unfairly disciplined by the church. After her husband's death in 2018, Anderson's bishop approached her about reinstatement, the first ecclesiastical leader in the twenty-four years since she was excommunicated to do so.

The stake high council and regional council recommended to the First Presidency that she be reinstated, but on August 27, 2019, they received a denial without an explanation.

Anderson continues to attend weekly church services and published in 2020 a collection of essays regarding inclusiveness and gender inequality in her book Mercy Without End: Toward a More Inclusive Church.

The first presidency says ABSOLUTELY NOT!
wenglund
Star A

Post by wenglund »

Korihor tried to come back. but couldn't be trusted.

But, you may have a point. Once people leave the light and more fully embrace the darkness, it is unlikely they will comprehend or embrace the light again.

Thanks, Wade Englund
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Nice to see you around, Wade. I’m curious, though: whatever became of your Center for Same-Sex Attraction Disorders project? (That’s what it was called, right?)
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

wenglund wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:03 am
Korihor tried to come back. but couldn't be trusted.

But, you may have a point. Once people leave the light and more fully embrace the darkness, it is unlikely they will comprehend or embrace the light again.

Thanks, Wade Englund
LOL

You're a real Mormon, Wade.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:11 am
Nice to see you around, Wade. I’m curious, though: whatever became of your Center for Same-Sex Attraction Disorders project? (That’s what it was called, right?)
Are you joking?
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:24 am
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:11 am
Are you joking?
He isn't. See:

Center for the Study of Sexual Attraction Disorders

See also the following page for lots of commentary and analysis regarding the above page:

Who is Wade Englund?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:25 am
IHAQ wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:24 am
Are you joking?
He isn't. See:

Center for the Study of Sexual Attraction Disorders

See also the following page for lots of commentary and analysis regarding the above page:

Who is Wade Englund?
Well, that was a blast from the past.

Wade,

Did you ever get in line with God’s will and find a lock for your key?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.