Mick Jagger Is More Inspired Than The Prophet

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Mick Jagger Is More Inspired Than The Prophet

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"Whenever you put your faith in Mormonism for any reason, sooner or later you'll wind up an apologist for murder." -- Survivor of The Mountain Meadow Massacre

One of the greatest anti-war songs of all time is found on the Rolling Stone's masterpiece "Let It Bleed." The song is called Gimme Shelter. Back up singer, Merry Clayton's vocal performance is the most powerful and haunting that I've heard (listen from the 2:30 mark to the end). Good Lord can she sing!!

In 2021, Gimme Shelter was voted as the 13th best song of all time. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 2-1225324/ This song was released in 1969 when the United States was at its peak involvement in the Vietnam War. It was the Rolling Stone's anti-war anthem and their response to the madness of the War. It quickly became a rallying cry to end the War.

What was the LDS Church doing during this time? Taking a strong stance against the Vietnam War? Advocating its members to protest? Well, unfortunately the Church was a huge supporter of the U.S. involvement in Vietnam. How many lives could have been saved if the Church would have used just a fraction of it's influence and wealth to support ending the War.

It's been almost 50 years since the end of the War and even the strongest proponents of the War back then have now admitted it was a huge mistake and one of America's greatest blunders.

Here's some good advice to live by, if the Rolling Stones is more prophetic and more Christlike compared to your Church, it might be an indication to find a different church.

Turn up the volume, you'll thank me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeglgSWKSIY
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Re: Mick Jagger Is More Inspired Than The Prophet

Post by Moksha »

I suppose we are all familiar with that famous conversation Elder Gene R. Cook had with Mick Jagger aboard an aircraft back in the 1970s (see RFM, A Whale of a Tale).

Here is another famous encounter that is less well-known:
Sometimes famous people in history meet and this is one such encounter. This story involves air flight and in particular Pan Am flight 1023 back in 1956 between Apostle and Champion Commie Fighter, Ezra Taft Benson, and an up-and-coming young singer named Elvis Presley. They had been assigned as seatmates in first class and the airline had instructed the stewardesses and pilots not to fuss or fawn over Elvis and to nonchalantly address him as Mr. Presley.

Neither Ezra Taft nor Elvis had a clue as to who the other person was. That was just as well since it would make for an unpleasant flight if Elder Benson got worked up into a powerful tirade about the pelvic thrusts Elvis made during his onstage song and dance as being the workings of the International Communist Party's plan to subvert the youth of America through exposing them to Negro music and Negro dance steps. Fortunately, Elder Benson preferred to tell what he had been up to in his never-ending battle to rid the world of the Communist Menace and fight against farm subsidies. Elvis had the politeness to be a dutiful listener and so the flight was uneventful and neither party learned the identity of the other.

Not sure if Ezra Taft ever became certain who Elvis Presley was, but his did come down on both wild hip gyrations and Negro music being a tool of the Great Communist Conspiracy in his Church's General Conference.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:37 am
Here is another famous encounter that is less well-known:
Sometimes famous people in history meet and this is one such encounter. This story involves air flight and in particular Pan Am flight 1023 back in 1956 between Apostle and Champion Commie Fighter, Ezra Taft Benson, and an up-and-coming young singer named Elvis Presley. They had been assigned as seatmates in first class and the airline had instructed the stewardesses and pilots not to fuss or fawn over Elvis and to nonchalantly address him as Mr. Presley.

Neither Ezra Taft nor Elvis had a clue as to who the other person was. That was just as well since it would make for an unpleasant flight if Elder Benson got worked up into a powerful tirade about the pelvic thrusts Elvis made during his onstage song and dance as being the workings of the International Communist Party's plan to subvert the youth of America through exposing them to Negro music and Negro dance steps. Fortunately, Elder Benson preferred to tell what he had been up to in his never-ending battle to rid the world of the Communist Menace and fight against farm subsidies. Elvis had the politeness to be a dutiful listener and so the flight was uneventful and neither party learned the identity of the other.

Not sure if Ezra Taft ever became certain who Elvis Presley was, but his did come down on both wild hip gyrations and Negro music being a tool of the Great Communist Conspiracy in his Church's General Conference.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

What have you heard the church say about Ukraine? Or Covid? Or the economy?

“Stop criticizing us and pay your tithing.”

And they have the gall to say “we see around corners.” They can barely form an opinion on crises that have been going on for years.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Moksha wrote:
This story involves air flight and in particular Pan Am flight 1023 back in 1956 between Apostle and Champion Commie Fighter, Ezra Taft Benson, and an up-and-coming young singer named Elvis Presley. . . Neither Ezra Taft nor Elvis had a clue as to who the other person was. . . Fortunately, Elder Benson preferred to tell what he had been up to in his never-ending battle to rid the world of the Communist Menace and fight against farm subsidies.
I don't buy this. If neither of them recognized the other, then neither of them would've known to tell the tale. And no one besides Ezra would've known what he talked about, which he would've forgotten had he been unaware of to whom he was speaking.

The encounter never took place.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:55 am
Moksha wrote:
This story involves air flight and in particular Pan Am flight 1023 back in 1956 between Apostle and Champion Commie Fighter, Ezra Taft Benson, and an up-and-coming young singer named Elvis Presley. . . Neither Ezra Taft nor Elvis had a clue as to who the other person was. . . Fortunately, Elder Benson preferred to tell what he had been up to in his never-ending battle to rid the world of the Communist Menace and fight against farm subsidies.
I don't buy this. If neither of them recognized the other, then neither of them would've known to tell the tale. And no one besides Ezra would've known what he talked about, which he would've forgotten had he been unaware of to whom he was speaking.

The HG has the power to act like a TV camera, recording events, and then giving the Alma 32 infused believer hero a view of the spiritual video so that events like these can be told at conference or special sacrament meetings.

Checkmate.

Thanks. Dr Exiled
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:58 am
"Whenever you put your faith in Mormonism for any reason, sooner or later you'll wind up an apologist for murder." -- Survivor of The Mountain Meadow Massacre

One of the greatest anti-war songs of all time is found on the Rolling Stone's masterpiece "Let It Bleed." The song is called Gimme Shelter. Back up singer, Merry Clayton's vocal performance is the most powerful and haunting that I've heard (listen from the 2:30 mark to the end). Good Lord can she sing!!

In 2021, Gimme Shelter was voted as the 13th best song of all time. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 2-1225324/ This song was released in 1969 when the United States was at its peak involvement in the Vietnam War. It was the Rolling Stone's anti-war anthem and their response to the madness of the War. It quickly became a rallying cry to end the War.

What was the LDS Church doing during this time? Taking a strong stance against the Vietnam War? Advocating its members to protest? Well, unfortunately the Church was a huge supporter of the U.S. involvement in Vietnam. How many lives could have been saved if the Church would have used just a fraction of it's influence and wealth to support ending the War.

It's been almost 50 years since the end of the War and even the strongest proponents of the War back then have now admitted it was a huge mistake and one of America's greatest blunders.

Here's some good advice to live by, if the Rolling Stones is more prophetic and more Christlike compared to your Church, it might be an indication to find a different church.

Turn up the volume, you'll thank me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeglgSWKSIY
When touring, the Stones always have a backup singer who sings Clayton's part on Gimme Shelter. For 20+ years, Lisa Fisher, was that Stones female vocalist. She did a great, great job handling Clayton's part.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:55 am

Not sure if you noticed this, but many tales regarding the Church never happened. Let's assign it to Creative Mormon Mythology. It may have been divined years later by someone with a fondness for such mythologies. A Latter-day mythologist.

ByTW, I think you followed a false clue. The story was not contingent upon Elvis knowing anything about Benson other than what his ramblings revealed. My guess is that he listened as part of the politeness of a young man from the 1950s who was raised in the south and was taught to respect his elders (the old kind, not young Mormon missionaries).
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace