Mormon Unorthodoxy at SeN

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Mormon Unorthodoxy at SeN

Post by Kishkumen »

Yeah, that is a smart choice—to bolster Brigham Young’s weak claim to be Smith’s successor. On the practical ground of successful outcomes the otherwise weak claim works well enough for those who need or want to buy it. DCP is doing exactly what you would expect him to do in this situation.

I remember Nibley was a big fan of Brother Brigham. Brigham Young accomplished bringing the Mormons west and establishing them in their new desert homeland. He deserves a lot of credit for that. He is not, however, Smith’s successor. He is a pale substitute as that. He was the leader of the traveling council of missionaries that persuaded many Mormons to follow them to the Salt Lake Valley. That group became the LDS Church. It is one branch of the Restoration. It is not the same church that Joseph founded, and it became less like the church Joseph founded over time. In fact, by Brigham’s own standards it is no longer fully organized as it lacks a Smith patriarch over the church.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Salvete
CTR A

Post by Salvete »

I hereby shout:

Decevied
From the end spring new beginnings.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Salvete wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:20 am
I hereby shout:

Decevied
:lol:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:01 pm
Yeah, that is a smart choice—to bolster Brigham Young’s weak claim to be Smith’s successor. On the practical ground of successful outcomes the otherwise weak claim works well enough for those who need or want to buy it. DCP is doing exactly what you would expect him to do in this situation.

I remember Nibley was a big fan of Brother Brigham. Brigham Young accomplished bringing the Mormons west and establishing them in their new desert homeland. He deserves a lot of credit for that. He is not, however, Smith’s successor. He is a pale substitute as that. He was the leader of the traveling council of missionaries that persuaded many Mormons to follow them to the Salt Lake Valley. That group became the LDS Church. It is one branch of the Restoration. It is not the same church that Joseph founded, and it became less like the church Joseph founded over time. In fact, by Brigham’s own standards it is no longer fully organized as it lacks a Smith patriarch over the church.
Brother Brigham did manage to establish a Kingdom based on polygamy and the Saints yearn to reestablish an even stronger Kingdom based on polygamy.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:39 am
. . . there is no solid evidence that I have seen showing BY had Joseph Smith killed.
Did you watch the video?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:27 am
Did you watch the video?
Can we really trust verifiable forensic evidence over burning in the bosom testimony and easily disproved accounts written decades after?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:27 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:39 am
. . . there is no solid evidence that I have seen showing BY had Joseph Smith killed.
Did you watch the video?
I’m also curious. Has anyone here watched the whole video?

Seems like everyone is dismissing it without even a view.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:22 pm
I watched it. The trick of watching it is to disregard any unworkable links and Google it yourself. It is on Vimeo, but you can watch it for free. This will be the topic of a Mormonism Live podcast in two weeks, so you can read the relevant facts if anyone bothers to post them. RFM and Bill will have a lot to say. Let's hope Kishkumen calls in and that the Backyard Professor and Shulem are in the posting audience.

by the way, the video would be great for crime scene aficionados like Jersey Girl.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:32 pm
drumdude wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:22 pm
I watched it. The trick of watching it is to disregard any unworkable links and Google it yourself. It is on Vimeo, but you can watch it for free. This will be the topic of a Mormonism Live podcast in two weeks, so you can read the relevant facts if anyone bothers to post them. RFM and Bill will have a lot to say. Let's hope Kishkumen calls in and that the Backyard Professor and Shulem are in the posting audience.

by the way, the video would be great for crime scene aficionados like Jersey Girl.
Excellent! And I agree, it is very interesting in a true crime kind of fashion.

This could be Mormonism’s Davinci Code :lol:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:11 pm
This could be Mormonism’s Davinci Code :lol:
That sounds more fanciful, like learning that a young Lou Midgley lept onto the stage at Ford's Theater the night of Lincoln's assassination. I mean, sure he was a crack shot in the army typing corp, but his alibi would place him at getting a waiver for his coursework at Brown.