If you stopped being a TBM after age 60, why? Pick 2

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

I discovered the actual history of Mormon beginnings (1820-1847)
25%
I lost confidence in the LDS Church because of the false narratives about its founding
50%
The current leaders are just clinging to an increasingly archaic institution
13%
I have matured into more of a 'live and let live' attitude of tolerance of others, such as LGBQT people
13%
I need all my $$ to live on and the LDS Church makes me feel guilty for not giving it 10%
No votes
Church meetings are repetitive and boring, and leave me feeling empty
No votes
As I get older, I am getting more and more tired of living, and don't want to live forever
No votes
Coffee (LDS: the devil's brew) helps me get through the day and/or my cardiologist recommends it
No votes
I want to "sin" and not feel guilty about it
No votes
I want to spend my Sundays in more relaxing or enjoyable ways, such as with family
No votes

Total votes: 8

sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

If you were a church-going, tithe paying member at least until age 60 but are no longer, click the two of these options that best encapsulate the reasons you stopped.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Re: If you stopped being a TBM after age 60, why? Pick 2

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Why restrict based on age?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I am surprised by no concern about the Book of Mormon, Book of Abraham, changes Doctrine Covenants, polygamy, position of blacks in history. Perhaps if a person makes it to age sixty inside the church they have made some form of peace with those problems.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:52 pm
I am surprised by no concern about the Book of Mormon, Book of Abraham, changes Doctrine Covenants, polygamy, position of blacks in history. Perhaps if a person makes it to age sixty inside the church they have made some form of peace with those problems.
Well, if you can only choose two. . . .
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:50 pm
huckelberry wrote:

I'm afraid that this survey within this forum is pretty much DOA. I don' think it will yield much results...
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:50 pm
huckelberry wrote:
But my suggestions were not listed as possible choices. Neither was exaggerated pursuit of overly conservative political and social views. None of my concerns were proposed as choices, but. I was young. well there was some lure of exploration of forbidden realms.
slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

I left because I finally learned that I am an inherently good person. Then I learned that religions thrive on teaching us the exact opposite.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

I’d be interested first to know how many left it as late as 60 to cut and run. I’d imagine not many. Most members seem to leave either as soon as they reach adulthood and can make their own choices, or else it’s by the time they’re 30 and whilst their kids are still young enough to be saved from it.

Once a member reaches 60, it’s pretty much their whole social community. No point in leaving at that point unless something drastic happened.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

slskipper wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:16 am
I left because I finally learned that I am an inherently good person. Then I learned that religions thrive on teaching us the exact opposite.
P-O-W-E-R-F-U-L - the very point of my new response to Elder Jeffrey Holland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iraMKiHGJNw&t=429s
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:57 am
P-O-W-E-R-F-U-L - the very point of my new response to Elder Jeffrey Holland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iraMKiHGJNw&t=429s

Your latest video has been presented up in the Celestial Forum and is an excellent example to show how the Church continuously makes its members feel inadequate as they are continuously admonished to fear God and the Church.

Backyard Professor expounds on how the Church guilts the members

Excellent video.