What would real apostles on the earth look like?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

What would real apostles on the earth look like?

Post by drumdude »

I think most of the world is very unimpressed at a bunch of elderly white men flying around the world to do carefully planned PR events in between the daily managing of the hedge funds and legal issues.

It seems most members have these folk stories about meeting a specific apostle. The apostle, in private, did something that was magic or immensely meaningful for the individual member. Maybe it was a priesthood blessing for a dying relative who went into remission. Or some business advice which magically turned the business around.

Is that, within Christianity, sufficient evidence that these men are actual real apostles? With real, tangible, meaningful keys to the priesthood and the powers that come with it?

It seems to be anyone could act the way the “apostles” do. Many evangelical mega church preachers do. How are we to decide for ourselves if these men are for real? Just pray about it and get those warm fuzzies?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: What would real apostles on the earth look like?

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

There are apostles among us if you have ears to listen.

Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Real apostles would ascribe all the glory to God.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

msnobody wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:20 am
Please explain why a supreme creator needs glory. Is it some kind of ego thing or is there an unwritten unknown law that gods can't be gods unless they have god followers?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Rivendale wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:23 am
msnobody wrote:
Please explain why a supreme creator needs glory. Is it some kind of ego thing or is there an unwritten unknown law that gods can't be gods unless they have god followers?
Rivendale, I am pretty sure that God has no need for glory to be ascribed to him. God is not lacking but ascribing glory to him is a buffer against people claiming glory to themselves to lord it over other people. We need the transaction not God.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Rivendale wrote:
msnobody wrote:
Neither. He is wholly other from creation. Whether we ascribe glory to him or not, He is still who He is; I Am.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:47 am
Rivendale wrote:
Rivendale, I am pretty sure that God has no need for glory to be ascribed to him. God is not lacking but ascribing glory to him is a buffer against people claiming glory to themselves to lord it over other people. We need the transaction not God.
I need more clarification. What do you mean "We need the transaction?"
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Real apostles would have resolved the questions members have clear back in the 1830's and would be leading the charge in missionary work. They'd also not worry about building a Fund like the catholic church has and follow the fictional apostles in the temple movie and only have sufficient for their needs. They'd be out healing all the sick during the pandemic and would solve hunger.

This is all fantasy, though, as there aren't real apostles with any type of authority from a god. We have imposters that act as parasites, taking 10% of the poor's income each year.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Rivendale wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:51 am
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:47 am
I need more clarification. What do you mean "We need the transaction?"
Rivendale, I mean we need fewer people being egotistical a holes. And people need to turn away from being that.

I thought that was pretty simple and was puzzled by your question.Then I realized you may be doubting effectiveness. Does a person proclaiming, "I give all the glory to God" mean a lot? I think it is possible it means very little in fact. To my ears claims of that sort sound completely phony. If a person actually is giving the glory to God they are quiet about it and refrain from placing them selves above others.
slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

They would look a lot like Albert Schweitzer.