BYP Hosts Dr. Charlie Harrell - Does Scripture Teach a Great Apostasy?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

BYP Hosts Dr. Charlie Harrell - Does Scripture Teach a Great Apostasy?

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz7qmHr4fV4

Tomorrow night live, Dr. Harrell will join me and we shall do an examination of the texts Mormons use to justify interpreting history as a Great Apostasy from Jesus' time to 1830. Dr. Harrell's very scholarly and useful book "This is My Doctrine" Chapter 2 is where we will be getting our materials, and discussing them in depth. You are all cordially invited to attend, look forward to seeing you there.

We will be having a Q & A afterwards, so please do come with your thoughtful question and comments.
huckelberry
God

Re: BYP Hosts Dr. Charlie Harrell - Does Scripture Teach a Great Apostasy?

Post by huckelberry »

As a matter of preview, what sort of texts are to be considered here? scripture fragments?

Is a stronger case not to be made looking at, 4th century religious violence (repeated in later centuries) Christian disunity so bad that no resistance could be put together against Islamic expansion except by creating crusades, violent oppression of divergent groups,(reformation related wars) witch hunts and executions, brutalization of indigenous peoples in the new world, expansion of slavery, anti Semitic violence ..... Oppression of black people.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Given the path that the current church is on, they may not want to continue teaching too much about the great apostasy.

Because all the justifications for labeling the Catholic Church as in apostasy are there in spades with the LDS church.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:26 pm
Given the path that the current church is on, they may not want to continue teaching too much about the great apostasy.

Because all the justifications for labeling the Catholic Church as in apostasy are there in spades with the LDS church.
One of the points we will be bringing up I suspect.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:20 pm
As a matter of preview, what sort of texts are to be considered here? scripture fragments?

Is a stronger case not to be made looking at, 4th century religious violence (repeated in later centuries) Christian disunity so bad that no resistance could be put together against Islamic expansion except by creating crusades , violent oppression of divergent groups,(reformation related wars) witch hunts and executions, brutalization of indigenous peoples in the new world, expansion of slavery, anti Semitic violence ..... Oppression of black people.
For this particular live session we will be looking at how Mormons - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Sainters (sheesh! the idiot things people do to keep the church happy) have interpreted the Bible texts to show an apostasy was foretold and prophesied so that Joseph Smith's restoration is scriptural. The missionary proof texts, etc.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:44 pm
For this particular live session we will be looking at how Mormons - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Sainters (sheesh! the idiot things people do to keep the church happy) have interpreted the Bible texts to show an apostasy was foretold and prophesied so that Joseph Smith's restoration is scriptural. The missionary proof texts, etc.
I am afraid those have gotten lost from my memory banks.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:11 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:

Standard Mormon missionary BS:

Acts 3:21
2 Thes 2:3
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:11 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
We will be happily refreshing them for everyone... and analyzing them in detail as well.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

Years ago I asked Wesley P Walters to review a paper the journal Church History by Nibley "The Passing of the Primitive Church."

This was fyi his response:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zg1 ... Pm-UY/edit
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

hauslern wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:32 am
Years ago I asked Wesley P Walters to review a paper the journal Church History by Nibley "The Passing of the Primitive Church."

This was fyi his response:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zg1 ... Pm-UY/edit
V-E-R-Y interesting! Thank you for sharing that Noel...