An apostle’s homophobia revisited one year later

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

An apostle’s homophobia revisited one year later

Post by drumdude »

“Gong’s gay son blog post Jan 2022” wrote: The first time I brought a partner home to meet my parents, we all went out to dinner together. I picked a restaurant I knew my parents liked, but would be a neutral space for them to meet him. Introductions went well and we all rode in one car to the restaurant. Dinner was everything I’d hoped for: conversation was easy enough, everyone was polite. With all the pep talks I’d given myself about how to “break emotional glass in case of emergency,” I was overjoyed it was going so well. I got caught up in the moment and pulled out my phone to snap a selfie with everyone at the table. Dinner concluded without a hitch and we headed back to the house.

Just as we’re pulling into the driveway Elder Gong spoke up,
“Please don’t post that photo anywhere.”

Unsure what he was referring to, I asked for clarification.
“Please don’t post the photo from dinner.We wouldn’t want people to get the wrong idea.”

My giddiness turned bitter. I pushed back, anger flaring in my chest.

“What’s the wrong idea? That you had dinner with your son?”
“Please don’t post the photo. We wouldn’t want people to get the wrong idea.”

Elder Gong will be polite and cordial, but if there’s even a chance that his actions could have public ramifications… It’s better that he and a potential future son-in-law never co-exist in the public eye. For anyone looking for someone to pin your hopes on that the Church will change, it’s not him.
https://medium.com/@thatonegaygong/stat ... 0d278e8d01

I often see Mormon apologists like DCP make frequent reference to “Elder” Gong when it is pointed out just how white and geriatric the Mormon top leadership is.

It makes you wonder what the thought process of church leadership was in bringing him aboard. Obviously having some token diversity was a major factor. But could this rampant homophobia also have been a necessary, and perhaps sufficient trait in a new apostle?

The best part is the Mormon church claims it is perfectly acceptable to be a gay Mormon. Presumably that includes going out to eat with family.

So why did Mr. Gong have such a problem with his son posting a photo of them together at dinner? Do the Mormon leaders preach false doctrine with regards to homosexuality?
16DD61DF-0642-4DF3-9347-41E406F5CB91.jpeg
16DD61DF-0642-4DF3-9347-41E406F5CB91.jpeg (133.67 KiB) Viewed 352 times
The infamous unspeakably horrible photo.
huckelberry
God

Re: An apostle’s homophobia revisited one year later

Post by huckelberry »

well it is a bad photo in the sense that you could not recognize anybody in it. Or perhaps we see a bad reproduction.

I thought the LDS church was clear they believe it is ok to be gay but not ok to act on it such has have samesex relationships, marriages etc.

I am just observing that I would not expect much different from the church.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The Church distinguishes between same-sex attraction and homosexual behavior. People who experience same-sex attraction or identify as gay, lesbian, or bisexual can make and keep covenants with God and fully and worthily participate in the Church. Identifying as gay, lesbian, or bisexual or experiencing same-sex attraction is not a sin and does not prohibit one from participating in the Church, holding callings, or attending the temple.

Sexual purity is an essential part of God’s plan for our happiness. Sexual relations are reserved for a man and woman who are married and promise complete loyalty to each other. Sexual relations between a man and woman who are not married, or between people of the same sex, violate one of our Father in Heaven’s most important laws and get in the way of our eternal progress. People of any sexual orientation who violate the law of chastity can be reconciled with God through repentance. As followers of Christ, we resist immoral behavior and strive to become like Him. We seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the help of the Savior, who knows how to succor us when we are tempted (see 1 Corinthians 10:13; Doctrine and Covenants 62:1). If we give in to sexual temptations and violate the law of chastity, we can repent, be forgiven, and participate in full fellowship in the Church.
Nowhere does it say a gay Mormon can’t have a relationship with a man. It only prohibits sexual activity in that relationship.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng

Yet Gong can’t bear to have his son be seen with a partner. This is the kind of Mormon doublespeak that has become a hallmark of the religion.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:06 pm
I thought the LDS church was clear they believe it is ok to be gay but not ok to act on it such has have samesex relationships, marriages etc.
So, it's okay to be gay as long as you don't act gay. Got it.

Just one more area where the leadership is at odds with the membership. The majority of Mormons (at least in the U.S.) now support gay marriage.

Is it any wonder why the leadership is so out of touch and so confused and frustrated by its shrinking membership?

ETA: Dang! That food looks delicious. Dr. Shades, if you read this post, send me a text and let's grab lunch again soon.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:42 pm
The Church distinguishes between same-sex attraction and homosexual behavior. People who experience same-sex attraction or identify as gay, lesbian, or bisexual can make and keep covenants with God and fully and worthily participate in the Church. Identifying as gay, lesbian, or bisexual or experiencing same-sex attraction is not a sin and does not prohibit one from participating in the Church, holding callings, or attending the temple.

Sexual purity is an essential part of God’s plan for our happiness. Sexual relations are reserved for a man and woman who are married and promise complete loyalty to each other. Sexual relations between a man and woman who are not married, or between people of the same sex, violate one of our Father in Heaven’s most important laws and get in the way of our eternal progress. People of any sexual orientation who violate the law of chastity can be reconciled with God through repentance. As followers of Christ, we resist immoral behavior and strive to become like Him. We seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the help of the Savior, who knows how to succor us when we are tempted (see 1 Corinthians 10:13; Doctrine and Covenants 62:1). If we give in to sexual temptations and violate the law of chastity, we can repent, be forgiven, and participate in full fellowship in the Church.
Nowhere does it say a gay Mormon can’t have a relationship with a man. It only prohibits sexual activity in that relationship.

Yet Gong can’t bear to have his son be seen with a partner. This is the kind of Mormon doublespeak that has become a hallmark of the religion.
drumdude,I have three thoughts,
1 yes I see your point.
2 is the son actually claiming a non sexual relationship?
3 no matter what the answer to 2 is the decent thing is for the father to be open about son and not hide it. hiding it smacks of phony piety.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:58 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:42 pm

drumdude,I have three thoughts,
1 yes I see your point.
2 is the son actually claiming a non sexual relationship?
3 no matter what the answer to 2 is the decent thing is for the father to be open about son and not hide it. hiding it smacks of phony piety.
Agreed. No clue about 2 but the dinner alone certainly doesn’t imply a sexual relationship. At least in my mind.