Spencer Fluhman Announces Plans to Step Down from the Maxwell Institute

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Spencer Fluhman Announces Plans to Step Down from the Maxwell Institute

Post by Doctor Scratch »

An interesting development:
Spencer Fluhman wrote:After seven years in the position, Hollie and I have decided that I will step down as Maxwell Institute executive director, effective May 1, 2023. We will always treasure our association with so many remarkable scholars, advisory board members, staff, students, university colleagues, and readers. It has been a profound honor to be associated, however indirectly, with the name and legacy of Elder Neal A. Maxwell. Please accept our gratitude for what has been a rich education and fruitful collaboration. We have felt your love and support. We feel blessed to have known and associated with you all and trust you know how much we love you. You have helped us understand, again, what it means to love God and neighbor with all one’s mind and heart.
His term was fairly quiet, though he did deal with a fair amount of criticism from the Mopologists, who kept insisting that the MI has "abandoned" its mission to do hardcore, attack-driven apologetics. It will be interesting to see who Fluhman's replacement will be.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Salvete
CTR A

Re: Spencer Fluhman Announces Plans to Step Down from the Maxwell Institute

Post by Salvete »

Yeah, people retire all the time. Is this really newsworthy?
From the end spring new beginnings.
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Salvete wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:18 am
Yes, it is—in terms of Mopologetics. The Maxwell Institute was always the Mopologists’ proof that the Church supported their worst impulses on an institutional level. So, when they were booted out, it felt like a massive betrayal to them: hence the endless bellyaching, especially from DCP. Ever since that happened, they have been drumming up every excuse imaginable to disparage the Maxwell Institute, accuse the leadership of ignoring the Brethren’s dictates, of caving in to apostate ideas, and so forth. Fluhman’s departure this marks an important transitional moment: will the MI continue to be a serious, legitimately scholarly organization? Or will it revert back to Mopologetics?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

What are they saying over at SeN about this?
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:39 am
Salvete wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:18 am
Yes, it is—in terms of Mopologetics. The Maxwell Institute was always the Mopologists’ proof that the Church supported their worst impulses on an institutional level. So, when they were booted out, it felt like a massive betrayal to them: hence the endless bellyaching, especially from DCP. Ever since that happened, they have been drumming up every excuse imaginable to disparage the Maxwell Institute, accuse the leadership of ignoring the Brethren’s dictates, of caving in to apostate ideas, and so forth. Fluhman’s departure this marks an important transitional moment: will the MI continue to be a serious, legitimately scholarly organization? Or will it revert back to Mopologetics?
Yes. I would add that Dr. Midgley posted up a storm about the "severe Apostolic scolding" that Elder Holland delivered to the Maxwell Institute's executive director (Fluhman) and other employees in November 2018 and the supposed fallout of that scolding. Dr. Fluhman was appointed executive director in 2016 and reappointed in 2021, so it seems that he survived the scolding. But his resignation may signal changes.
Last edited by Tom on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:45 pm
What are they saying over at SeN about this?
The proprietor hasn't read Dr. Scratch's post yet, so nothing thus far.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Will Brother Fluhman get a festschrift?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:41 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:39 am
Yes. I would add that Dr. Midgley posted up a storm about the "severe Apostolic scolding" that Elder Holland delivered to the Maxwell Institute's executive director (Fluhman) and other employees in November 2018 and the supposed fallout of that scolding. Dr. Fluhman was appointed executive director in 2016 and reappointed in 2021, so it seems that he survived the scolding.
Indeed. So who will the new director be? If it’s not somebody who’s friendly to the Mopologists, then you sort of have to see that as a subtle form of rebuke. Even worse than a “scolding,” I daresay, is being utterly ignored and effectively dumped overboard.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Who makes the decision on his replacement?
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:56 am
Who makes the decision on his replacement?
If it were up to me, I'd stuff DCP into the vacancy. They've basically been pulling taffy since 2012.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos