Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:36 am

Thanks for trying to be helpful.

Fail.

Your intuition is less than stellar.
I'm just thankful that your spelling is stellar.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:56 am
…the church teaches we are supposed to strive for an impossible goal and anything less is a sin.
This may be a reason some people leave. They don’t feel they can live according the teachings/commandments/standards of the gospel. They think that working towards perfection is a fool’s errand.

Repentance is anathema. Not saying this is true for you, but I’m saying that the whole idea of reaching towards perfection through continual and sincere repentance is just not a ‘thing’ for many people.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:43 am

...They stay because this gives them opportunity to satisfy their evil designs....
Well. My goodness. Yes, i agree "it gives them opportunity" when they stay in an institution where those opportunities exist.

That is exactly the issue that many people have pointed out repeatedly.
And it’s important to remember that even with institutional controls there are going to be some bad apples.

Sad but true.

It’s the nature of large institutions. Perfection is a goal, but it’s an ongoing challenge.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:43 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:36 am

Thanks for trying to be helpful.

Fail.

Your intuition is less than stellar.
I'm just thankful that your spelling is stellar.
If I’m moving along a bit too fast relying on spell check I will sometimes find that spell check actually changes correct spelling to wrong spelling. I will sometimes miss that.

Again, thanks for really trying to be helpful. You are making progress. 🙂

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:10 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:07 am

Yeah, well, I don't like it. I think this needs to be changed. It isn't cool to single out posters in such a way.

I'm sure it will get corrected right away as soon as a mod hears about it.

I agree. It was a bit of a cheap shot but maybe it's some kind of test to find out what will happen as a result?
Nothing yet.

Regards,
MG
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

MG 2.0 wrote:

This may be a reason some people leave. They don’t feel they can live according the teachings/commandments/standards of the gospel. They think that working towards perfection is a fool’s errand.
People usually leave because they don't see any miracles, don't feel the spirit, and aren't happy in the church. Some people did leave because of the CES letter.

The vast majority of people join the church just to be part of a community, there's nothing special about the church.

The church is what we should expect it to be if there's no God.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MG 2.0 wrote:
drumdude wrote:
…the church teaches we are supposed to strive for an impossible goal and anything less is a sin.

Repentance is anathema. Not saying this is true for you, but I’m saying that the whole idea of reaching towards perfection through continual and sincere repentance is just not a ‘thing’ for many people.

Regards,
MG
Not how Mormonism with its idiotic public shaming to be sure. The focus on daily repenting and always confessing sins and meeting with bishops and stake presidents for weeks and prolonged months is overboard and focuses on the wrong thing entirely. That's what keeps you in bondage to the church as sinners. And that gives the church control over the people. Punishment for repentance?! What they need to be doing is taking more of the sacrament, not being kept away from it... The whole set up is very unJesus like.
Don't want to keep up with the standards? :lol: That's rich!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Repentance is anathema.
MG detests repentance. Huh. He’s really had some revelatory posts today.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:45 am
Marcus wrote:

Well. My goodness. Yes, i agree "it gives them opportunity" when they stay in an institution where those opportunities exist.

That is exactly the issue that many people have pointed out repeatedly.
And it’s important to remember that even with institutional controls there are going to be some bad apples.

Sad but true.

It’s the nature of large institutions. Perfection is a goal, but it’s an ongoing challenge.

Regards,
MG
“Institutional controls.”

Does this guy ever think about what he posts? Because Mormon “institutional controls” literally provided cover for Mormon men who **** kids. Like, from the get go, the “institutional controls” were literally designed to aid and abet men ****ing kids. The secrecy, the lies, the uncooperative relationship with ‘secular powers’, etc. Mormon men passed kids around as currency; just look at the genealogical record. It’s right there. And worse, any time Mormon men confessed to ****ing kids, whether it was their own kids or someone else’s s kids they hid it. It wasn’t just a few “bad apples.” It was “institutional controls” designed by Mormon men to keep Mormon men out of jail. Sick and disgusting.

And here’s MG defending it. ****ing gross.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:53 am
Nothing yet.

Patience, patience. It will come. It has to. What could be more reliable and informative than Discuss Mormonism?

One of the mods is a little guilty of a small indiscretion and you'll simply have to forgive him/her.

Simple as that. It is REQUIRED of you as written in your scripture to forgive all men their trespasses.