Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

Post by MG 2.0 »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:26 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:06 am
I would think that whoever did it left a digital footprint of some kind. They should be given 50 lashings at the whipping post. :lol:
50 seems a bit harsh, but I agree with you in principle. (This is not one of the signs of the apocalypse. I looked it up.)
OK then. I’d think a day or two in stocks would suffice. Maybe I was a bit too harsh. Maybe the guilty party will come forth now knowing that their punishment would not be impossible to bear.

I would reserve the option of throwing tomatoes or raw oysters at them.

Regards,
MG
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:06 am
I think consig did it. Just kidding. I would think that whoever did it left a digital footprint of some kind. They should be given 50 lashings at the whipping post. :lol:
I'm sure it was done in the spirit of jest. Nothing malicious. I thought it was hilarious for several different reasons.

In fact, I have a $100 Olive Garden gift certificate if the person responsible PM's me. Thanks for the laugh, whoever did this.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:31 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:20 am
There may be those that are uncomfortable with the changing social dynamics that they see as diminishing their position of unearned privilege and comfort. There are positions of disagreement with this social shift that lead some folks to seek out conservatively vestigial social organizations, clinging onto what the church teaches in respect to what it considers to be other sinful behaviors and/or practices that people chose to maintain define the social changes for validation.

Rather than engaging in self-reflection and personal growth, they embed deeper in the church that tells them what others call bigotry is virtuous because "creator god", trying to ‘cover up their biases and bigotry’ since folks like this find it easier to crawl in a hole with other like-minded folks than consider their position is not particularly grounded in ethics.

When we live in a society and don’t fit in with the norms, we look for ways to either fit in or we look for other options.
Honor,

This was too wordy and smart. Would you be good enough to pare it down to ~two sentences that a faithful Mormon could skim over and somehow have it penetrate their aluminum skull?

- Doc
Sometimes the most direct means of criticism is parody. :)
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:18 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:31 pm
Honor,

This was too wordy and smart. Would you be good enough to pare it down to ~two sentences that a faithful Mormon could skim over and somehow have it penetrate their aluminum skull?

- Doc
Omg. That link. Too much.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:44 am
Say, I don't suppose you have considered trying your hand at being a professional Prophet?
Actually, yes.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:02 am
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:18 am
We’re in quite the pickle. How does one take a good and thoughtful post, reduce it to a nice bechamel sauce, and then pour it over a bite of instant rice? Quite the quandary …

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:36 am
Marcus wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:02 am

We’re in quite the pickle. How does one take a good and thoughtful post, reduce it to a nice bechamel sauce, and then pour it over a bite of instant rice? Quite the quandary …

- Doc
Ok, I'll give it go.

For MG:

Where you see people leaving the church in order to feel comfortable engaging in practices the church calls sinful could just as likely be you finding comfort in an organization that has planted it's flag on the conservative side of the American political culture war. You're not defending a higher call to faith. You're resisting a challenging call for self-reflection and personnal accountability.

How's that?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Or, maybe leaving Mormonism isn't so much about being uncomfortable with God's laws as it is being uncomfortable with bigots citing God to defend the indefensible?
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

It's ironic how the actions Mormonism label as sin are no longer considered sins once one moves past belief.

To paraphrase Kish's tag line:

"Mormonism, providing relief to problems it creates."
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:45 pm
Or, maybe leaving Mormonism isn't so much about being uncomfortable with God's laws as it is being uncomfortable with bigots citing God to defend the indefensible?
Not too shabby. Imma do a mashup and a tweak:

Because you see people leaving the church who engage in practices the church calls sinful, you find comfort in an organization that planted it's flag on the conservative side of the American political culture war. Leaving Mormonism isn't so much about being uncomfortable with God's laws; it’s being uncomfortable with bigots citing God to defend the indefensible.

Let’s see how that flies.

-Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.