Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:06 pm
It looks like FAIR has taken down Tyler's bio, but they still have Tyler's articles on their site. Strange.

Does anyone know what Tyler is doing now?
There are still apologists who are using my old Book of Abraham facsimiles articles as defense against critics....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:05 am
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:06 pm
It looks like FAIR has taken down Tyler's bio, but they still have Tyler's articles on their site. Strange.

Does anyone know what Tyler is doing now?
There are still apologists who are using my old Book of Abraham facsimiles articles as defense against critics....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, Michael Ash is still using your research:
"Michael Ashole" wrote:Kerry Shirts has shown that some of the restorations of Facsimile 2 appear to be correct from an Egyptian standpoint [Kerry A. Shirts, “On Anubis, Masks, and Uniqueness of Facsimile #1 in the Book of Abraham"] and for the last decade and a half the late Dr. Hugh Nibley was working on his magnum opus, “One Eternal Round” which deals in part directly with Facsimile 2 and hopefully someday we’ll se that published by FARMS and I’m sure we’ll have additional insights to add to our list.
https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/con ... ogy#enloc9
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I thought One Eternal Round was released years ago. How recent are these Ash comments?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:05 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:05 am

Yes, Michael Ash is still using your research:
"Michael Ashole" wrote:Kerry Shirts has shown that some of the restorations of Facsimile 2 appear to be correct from an Egyptian standpoint [Kerry A. Shirts, “On Anubis, Masks, and Uniqueness of Facsimile #1 in the Book of Abraham"] and for the last decade and a half the late Dr. Hugh Nibley was working on his magnum opus, “One Eternal Round” which deals in part directly with Facsimile 2 and hopefully someday we’ll se that published by FARMS and I’m sure we’ll have additional insights to add to our list.
https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/con ... ogy#enloc9
Yeah that was his 2006 presentation. I was told that Jeff Lindsey still has my stuff up also, and every now and again shows it to folks he's talking to. Gadzooks I hope he's not. Oh well.
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:40 am
I was sent this tidbit by an anonymous informant:
“Scott Gordon” wrote:Really Tyler? There are reasons that people might want to leave the church, but I would hope that the CES letter is not one of them. There's a little problem with being factually inaccurate. If 1 of my students wrote that they would get an F for their research. It's like claiming a Dan Brown novel is actually true.
A couple of thoughts here. First, Gordon implies that there are *better* reasons for leaving the Church than the CES Letter. This is a stunning admission. What are these “reasons,” one wonders? Second: “claiming that a Dan Brown novel is actually true” is no different that claiming that the Book of Mormon is “real history.” Gordon, in any case, comes across as a weasel. Livingston, however, isn’t having any of it:
“Tyler Livingston” wrote:Hi Scott, this is a point we’ll have to disagree on.
Meanwhile, Stephen Smoot and DCP continue their war with their fellow Latter-day Saints: Jonathan Neville and the Heartlanders.
I would hope that none of his business students at a California community college would write that. Can't imagine a context where that would be relevant.