Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Scott Gordon Attacks Tyler Livingston Over CES Letter

Post by Kishkumen »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:23 am
I don't see why it's a bad thing about the CES letter, that it collects a lot of old problems with Mormonism. I never got the impression that Runnells was claiming to have any brilliant new insights. On the contrary, I thought his claim was to be raising obvious questions. If people liked his new collection of old issues, that's not his or his document's fault.

The weird thing is how Mormonism still has a good half-dozen or so major issues, that have been around for a century or so, and that are supposed to have been "addressed" many times. Nonetheless the same issues have not gone away, or even changed very much. It's weird to have that big a stalemate going on for that long. The long stalemate of addressed-but-persistent issues has become an issue itself.

The typical Mormon explanation for this meta-issue is that biased anti-Mormons just refuse to listen to the clear and sufficient apologetic rebuttals of their critiques. If the rebuttals were both sufficient and clear, though, we would expect the church to have publicised these great rebuttals so well that critics would have had to drop the old issues and look for new ones.

I think that what Mormons must really believe about their apologetic defences on the perennial issues is that the defences are sufficient, but not really that clear. They're not quick, snappy comebacks that shoot the issue through the heart in a way that is obvious to any neutral and intelligent observer. Instead they're long, pedantic treatments full of reframings and refocusings. I reckon that faithful conservative Mormons truly believe that these long answers are convincing, but they must recognize that the long answers are long.

In particular there is no way to condense the long answers into short summaries that still seem convincing. In any short form, the apologetic defences come across as flimsy and doubtful. So there is no good way to publicise these sufficient answers to the general public, or even within the Mormon church. The supposedly good answers remain buried in long, scholarly treatments that virtually no-one has read.

Apologists and their supporters can therefore complain indignantly that their ignorant critics have been too lazy or dull to follow their well established answers. My own view, I'm afraid, is that this is an important part of the long-answer strategy.

The long answers that always look sketchy when summarised are like out-of-focus photos of Bigfoot at dusk. All that length and sophistication is really just concealing bad arguments. It takes ten pages to make the conclusion seem plausible. In all that verbiage, though, there is room for apologists to hide from their opponents. If they attack any one point, the apologists can retreat into the others and claim that the critics have misunderstood the whole line of argument. It's a guerrilla campaign that avoids decisive engagements on purpose—because they would only be lost, every time.

In fact there are no good Mormon answers on those old chestnut issues. There is nothing that could stand cross-examination. There are only long snow-job evasions. These can't be publicised effectively, because they lose all impact when shortened. So the issues persist, along with the Mormon impression that they have all been "addressed".
Aren’t the core problems of Mormonism very similar to the core problems of other religions? If we take Christianity, for example, I would say that it has a plethora of problems that most people don’t bother to ask about, let alone address, simply because they are “givens” for most people. Mainstream Christianity is so wrapped into the culture, so much a part of the global culture, that questions against it have to pull a helluva lot harder to make a dent. Christianity is not in danger globally. Mormonism is on its heels everywhere. And I don’t think that is because Mormonism is somehow more wrong than Christianity. I think it is because Mormonism is a tiny minority religion that attracts an inordinate amount of attention.

Mormonism also suffers the liability of having arisen in an extremely literate setting. What I mean by that is that there are so many documents to scrutinize. And, while I love that as a historian, as a characteristic of the religion it is really kind of a liability. I don’t know whether Jesus got a leg operation when he was a child because I barely know anything about Jesus at all. Much of what I know was probably made up, and it was made up by people who were very motivated to make him out to be wonderful and enjoyed the luxury of no documents to fact check their claims. Same for Buddha. Same, honestly, for Pythagoras and Socrates. Important figures for the spirituality of Eastern and Western civilization whom we know precious little about, and yet most people don’t go around questioning their character because there is nothing to really interrogate, as in no material to examine. Aristophanes roasted Socrates in comedy, but that is not really the same thing.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

Dr. Shades wrote:Let’s try again: Which parts of the CES letter are untrue, if any?
If you’re going to insist on puerile binary views, all of it is untrue.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Some people say that in spite of whatever problems Mormonism may have, they feel they have heard God speak to them in Mormon contexts and in Mormon terms. I understand Nevo to have said this recently here, for example. I don't consider that I have any right to judge statements like that, either way—but I consider them plausible, at least as long as the things that God supposedly says are about being patient and kind, or buying meals for the homeless, and are not about shooting up crowds of people who have the wrong views. I have all kinds of beefs with Mormon doctrine, but if I ever find a theology that seems to me to be perfectly enlightened, I doubt that it will seem so much closer to the truth than Mormonism from God's point of view. I reckon God must be case-hardened to all kinds of human foolishness and well prepared to sneak grains of truth into our nonsense wherever they can possibly fit. So, insofar as I'm entitled to have any opinion at all about anyone's claims to having met God in Mormonism, I'm inclined to believe them.

This kind of strict, doctrinaire Mormonism is different from that, though:
The Book of Mormon is a bonafide miracle with unmistakable marks of antiquity that could not have been produced by anyone living in 1830. No other explanation other than the one offered by Joseph Smith can account for its existence.
This is tantamount to claiming that the whole nine yards of LDS orthodoxy, tithing and prophets and priesthood keys and everything, are objectively demonstrable, at least to a high standard of proof. If Smith really had this miraculous gift from an angel, then everything else runs downhill until you're sitting in General Conference, nodding.

First of all, though, that just is not true: the Book of Mormon absolutely does not have any unmistakable marks of antiquity. Smith's explanation with angel and plates and special lenses and rock is absolutely not at all the only explanation that can account for the Book's existence. Secondly, this whole position is not an innocent option but a damaging swindle. The label on the tin that entices people to buy is the promise that they can legitimately avoid all the agony of deciding for themselves what life means, because the answer is objectively clear: Joseph Smith had this vision, and so on. It's the gourmet meal you can microwave, spiritual truth off the shelf, fear and trembling all done with this pill. Selling that line to people is robbing them of something difficult but vital. It claims a lot of time and resources that could have been better spent. It encourages political and social views that no-one should hold. It's not a victimless crime.

Once we're talking about literal, conservative Mormonism as a supposedly objectively defensible position, then this kind of Mormonism is really not just another religion. It's an unusually young religion with unusually high demands. It has all the problems that mainstream Christianity has, plus all the things to which I've been referring as the "old chestnut" Mormon issues: historicity of the Book of Mormon, almost everything about the Book of Abraham, polygamy, Smith's sketchy history and sexual predation, Brigham Young's tyranny, denying black people the priesthood, denying women the priesthood, and so on.

Maybe older religions would have had issues like those as well, if they had started in times with print media. They started before that, however. If you're starting a religion, the Latter Days are a tough league in which to play. You get the advantage of being able to attune your new religion to the contemporary Zeitgeist, conveniently addressing all your day's button issues instead of being stuck with scripture that's ninety-percent about raising sheep or something. It's not enough for an easy win, though, I guess.

Regardless of what the historical Jesus and Buddha and Mohammed were really like, and how much of their baggage may have been lost to history, their roles in their religions today are as memes that never had any baggage. Joseph Smith does not have that luxury—but this isn't just because he was unwise enough to be born after Gutenberg. He tried to have it both ways, to be a Prophet with a printing press. He wanted modern-day crowds of followers while living by the lax standards of ancient myth—and that take-it-all mentality is still with us, I think. The church he founded streams its General Conference on YouTube while still insisting that a nonagenerian retired surgeon is the one human being on Earth to hold all the magical Priesthood Keys straight from God.

I don't see how you can demand that people accept something like that, without having to stand or fall upon the historicity of the Book of Mormon and the veracity of Joseph Smith. And you can't stand upon those. They won't take the weight.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Flem wrote:In the 1950s this may have been partially been true. Then, one had to work harder to get information - world news, etc. - but it was still available in libraries and such.

But I know of no “bubble;” how long have you been out? It seems odd to believe such a thing, honestly, unless you’re just a Mormonism=bad therefore not-Mormonism=good binary kind of guy.
Did you ever read the book, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

My problem was never anti-lit, I encountered it pre-mission and I read part of the God Makers at the Book Store as well as Chick Tracts. Some of it gave me pause, but mostly it just made me biased against EVs because so much of it was so dumb, simply comparing what Mormons believe to their own assumptions as Christians. However, I've soften on my bias against EVs since then. (I Bible bashed all the time on my mission)

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... d?lang=eng
Tad wrote:Years ago my great-great-grandfather picked up a copy of the Book of Mormon for the first time. He opened it to the center and read a few pages. He then declared, “That book was either written by God or the devil, and I am going to find out who wrote it.”
The good old DCP false dichotomy is built into the backbone of Mormon faith. Mormons must take their hits with their misses. If you're going to force people into the position that Mormons are either God or the devil, then expect books like The God Makers to come around by people who took that lesson seriously and concluded "The Devil". As an outstanding member of a fundamentalist institution, Flem, it is as if you yourself aided Ed Decker in writing The God Makers.

Had I encountered Runnells in my early days rather than Decker, it likely would have had a much bigger impact. The Tanners probably would have had a larger impact also, I just never ran into their stuff. My gateway out was Hugh Nibley. My bishop even counseled me to "stay in the bubble" and not read Hugh Nibley (in so many words), prior to my mission. He was right.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:57 pm
Some people say that in spite of whatever problems Mormonism may have, they feel they have heard God speak to them in Mormon contexts and in Mormon terms. I understand Nevo to have said this recently here, for example. I don't consider that I have any right to judge statements like that, either way—but I consider them plausible, at least as long as the things that God supposedly says are about being patient and kind, or buying meals for the homeless, and are not about shooting up crowds of people who have the wrong views. I have all kinds of beefs with Mormon doctrine, but if I ever find a theology that seems to me to be perfectly enlightened, I doubt that it will seem so much closer to the truth than Mormonism from God's point of view. I reckon God must be case-hardened to all kinds of human foolishness and well prepared to sneak grains of truth into our nonsense wherever they can possibly fit. So, insofar as I'm entitled to have any opinion at all about anyone's claims to having met God in Mormonism, I'm inclined to believe them.

This kind of strict, doctrinaire Mormonism is different from that, though:
The Book of Mormon is a bonafide miracle with unmistakable marks of antiquity that could not have been produced by anyone living in 1830. No other explanation other than the one offered by Joseph Smith can account for its existence.
This is tantamount to claiming that the whole nine yards of LDS orthodoxy, tithing and prophets and priesthood keys and everything, are objectively demonstrable, at least to a high standard of proof. If Smith really had this miraculous gift from an angel, then everything else runs downhill until you're sitting in General Conference, nodding.

First of all, though, that just is not true: the Book of Mormon absolutely does not have any unmistakable marks of antiquity. Smith's explanation with angel and plates and special lenses and rock is absolutely not at all the only explanation that can account for the Book's existence. Secondly, this whole position is not an innocent option but a damaging swindle. The label on the tin that entices people to buy is the promise that they can legitimately avoid all the agony of deciding for themselves what life means, because the answer is objectively clear: Joseph Smith had this vision, and so on. It's the gourmet meal you can microwave, spiritual truth off the shelf, fear and trembling all done with this pill. Selling that line to people is robbing them of something difficult but vital. It claims a lot of time and resources that could have been better spent. It encourages political and social views that no-one should hold. It's not a victimless crime.

Once we're talking about literal, conservative Mormonism as a supposedly objectively defensible position, then this kind of Mormonism is really not just another religion. It's an unusually young religion with unusually high demands. It has all the problems that mainstream Christianity has, plus all the things to which I've been referring as the "old chestnut" Mormon issues: historicity of the Book of Mormon, almost everything about the Book of Abraham, polygamy, Smith's sketchy history and sexual predation, Brigham Young's tyranny, denying black people the priesthood, denying women the priesthood, and so on.

Maybe older religions would have had issues like those as well, if they had started in times with print media. They started before that, however. If you're starting a religion, the Latter Days are a tough league in which to play. You get the advantage of being able to attune your new religion to the contemporary Zeitgeist, conveniently addressing all your day's button issues instead of being stuck with scripture that's ninety-percent about raising sheep or something. It's not enough for an easy win, though, I guess.

Regardless of what the historical Jesus and Buddha and Mohammed were really like, and how much of their baggage may have been lost to history, their roles in their religions today are as memes that never had any baggage. Joseph Smith does not have that luxury—but this isn't just because he was unwise enough to be born after Gutenberg. He tried to have it both ways, to be a Prophet with a printing press. He wanted modern-day crowds of followers while living by the lax standards of ancient myth—and that take-it-all mentality is still with us, I think. The church he founded streams its General Conference on YouTube while still insisting that a nonagenerian retired surgeon is the one human being on Earth to hold all the magical Priesthood Keys straight from God.

I don't see how you can demand that people accept something like that, without having to stand or fall upon the historicity of the Book of Mormon and the veracity of Joseph Smith. And you can't stand upon those. They won't take the weight.
Thank your for your observations, PG. In your opinion, if Mormonism were ‘true’, what would it look like theologically and practically as a matter of organization and execution?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

It's too hard for me to imagine orthodox, conservative Mormonism being true. Million-man Nephite battles, God demanding polygamy, mortals turning into Gods after death if they avoid drinking coffee.

A rationalized kind of Mormonism that tosses really objectionable things, maintains others as cherished but human traditions, and identifies a few things as important insights—that doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I can't complain if someone else wants to do it. Believing in the whole-hog deal with historical Nephites and revelation to Smith, though: for me that's almost like believing we're all in a Donald Duck comic. Maybe I could get my head into that space, but if I'm going to make that much effort in suspending disbelief, I'd rather get a short story out of it, or something.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:05 pm
It's too hard for me to imagine orthodox, conservative Mormonism being true. Million-man Nephite battles, God demanding polygamy, mortals turning into Gods after death if they avoid drinking coffee.

A rationalized kind of Mormonism that tosses really objectionable things, maintains others as cherished but human traditions, and identifies a few things as important insights—that doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I can't complain if someone else wants to do it. Believing in the whole-hog deal with historical Nephites and revelation to Smith, though: for me that's almost like believing we're all in a Donald Duck comic. Maybe I could get my head into that space, but if I'm going to make that much effort in suspending disbelief, I'd rather get a short story out of it, or something.
I’m in the same space. There’s just nothing salvageable out of Mormonism for me. When I lived in Utah I really, really tried to maintain relationships (on my wife’s side), and view living in Utah through a secular lens as a positive thing, but I couldn’t sustain it. It felt unnatural to try so hard to see things around me as normal when it wasn’t. I dunno. A cult has a hard grip on that state. It is what it is.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

The way I see it, Mormonism is a branch of Christianity. The main advantage it has, if it could get out of its own way, is the role of the multi-generational family in salvation. Heaven is a big family. That’s not ridiculous. It is a hopeful idea. All of the ancillaries matter very little. Early Mormons were very experimental, and that is fascinating, but Brigham Young’s Mormonism moved from experimentation into tyrannical conformism over time. I don’t think Mormonism is LDSism, so I am not of a mind to defend LDSism’s bad ideas as though that’s all there is to Mormonism.

To continue:

It doesn’t matter to me if powerful LDS leaders inculcate false binaries and extremes in LDS thought. That’s a problem they have to deal with, not me. They have set themselves up to fail, and I find it sad, but then they want to hold onto the control they have and do not have an open suggestion box. They reap what they sow.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:35 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:23 am
Kishkumen,

Is the CES letter like the God Makers? I read that book a long time ago and remember it is located on an out of the way back shelf. I pulled it out to remind myself what is in there. There is extensive effort to tie Mormon things to what Hunt understands as Satanic occult power. Author Hunt sort of specializes in that sort of thing. I would approach with serious caution or perhaps better not approach.

I am not really familiar with CES letter in any detail but I have not heard it connected with that late 20th century witch scare (or enthusiasm for fear of Satanic control
Hello, huckelberry! So, as I tried to say above, both are caricatures of what they portray. One is a Christian caricature to make Mormonism look Satanic or pagan, while the other is a secular caricature that makes Mormonism look woefully factually wrong. They just use different lenses to do the same thing: distort the target.
It can and does not infrequently make people implode emotionally as they wonder why they wasted their lives on something that is so factually blinkered and full of “lies.”
Does it bother you that Genesis, Job, Daniel, and Revelation are not history? Does it bother you to know that while Jesus most likely lived, and that Pilate most definitely did, we really don’t know how much of what Mark wrote actually happened? How do you prove that the Resurrection of Christ happened? Do you trust it because some old book says 500 people witnessed him or some such? What were their names? What did they “see,” exactly?

I don’t consider the Gospels to be “real history” in the sense that Thucydides’ Peloponnesian War is. We don’t even know who the authors of the Gospels are. Not really. At least I can say I know that Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon. The genius of the New Testament partly is that we have no idea who actually wrote the books, nor can we know much about the authors. If we knew the authors, people would use them as a means of invalidating everything they wrote.
Kishkumen, you ask, "Does it bother you that Genesis, Job, Daniel, and Revelation are not history?" No I do not see them as written in the category of history. Job is poetry, Genesis folklore recast as exploration of religious questions. I can be bothered by the problematic relationship with history for Exodus and Joshua. Even the rest of the Bible has lots of indication that Canaanites were still all about and perhaps as William Dever, archeologist, finds were never displaced but are the primary if not sole source of Israelite people. As an adult I have figured that Moses escape was in reality a much smaller affair than pictured later in images expanded to represent all Israel. There is a mythical story of freedom and rebirth growing out of perhaps muddy historical memory.

There are a lot of Christians who approach that uncertainty as well as the uncertainties you point to in the New Testament by papering over all uncertainties. That invites a lot of criticism and there is no shortage of biting criticism of Bible belief and Christian demands. There is no shortage of closed minded fortresses, I believe what I believe evidence not accepted.

For me the most punishing evidence against Christianity, what has really given me emotional blows, is the broad and fanatical pursuit of Trump as god ordained leader and political liberator. I might be able to see a cluster of forces creating this, all repulsive but a rejection of evidence to protect belief I fear to be at the center. People try to believe bad evidence comes from those secularists (like anti Mormons) who attack the truth with what they call evidence.

I think as a society we need religion which is capable of respecting evidence and dealing with the real world and not slipping into fictional world views. (Or understanding the role of fiction in communicating important ideas.) We cannot function as a democracy without people respecting the search for truth and evidence.

For me the importance of the growth of democratic (and republican) ideals demands being willing to put to use criticism of ideas and beliefs. Some presentations may be better than others. Some criticism is bad enough to reflect more negatively on author than on target. Each calls for thought, let the arrows fly.

I might add I do see a significant difference in considering stories like the flood for which there is a large volume of very strong evidence showing it did not happen and problems of historical uncertainty such as how close to original observations are Mark's sources.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Flemming wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:54 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:Let’s try again: Which parts of the CES letter are untrue, if any?
If you’re going to insist on puerile binary views, all of it is untrue.
Thus proving that you are the most puerile binary thinker out of everyone here.

Congratulations!
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024