New evidence Isaiah 29 - The Sealed Book - is a fake prophecy Invented by Joseph Smith

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

New evidence Isaiah 29 - The Sealed Book - is a fake prophecy Invented by Joseph Smith

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efl3DsnlCRQ

One of the finest analysis of how Joseph Smith invented this so-called biblical prophecy of the Book of Mormon by scholar Colby Townsend talking with the Backyard Professor. You don't want to miss this.
Shulem
God

Re: New evidence Isaiah 29 - The Sealed Book - is a fake prophecy Invented by Joseph Smith

Post by Shulem »

I enjoyed that little podcast! And hearing my name in a shout out with reference to my Celestial thread on the The First Vision was a pleasant surprise. Thank you for that!

Indeed, 1838 was the year in which Smith had to pull out all the stops in order to assert himself and maintain his so-called miraculous and evolving truth claims. He had a bag full of lies that he organized and sorted out to make his so-called restoration of the gospel come together in an official narrative released to the world. And so, here are important dates that work with your "Isaiah 29 is a Fake Prophecy of the Book of Mormon Invented by Joseph Smith" podcast:

• Martin Harris went to New York City with the characters transcript and met professor Charles Anthon in February of 1828.
  • During spring and early summer of 1828, Harris acted as scribe in translating the 116 pages.
  • Harris gets his ass reamed in July of 1828 in D&C 3.
  • 10 years later, Smith relates an embellished account of Harris's encounter with Anthon.

QUESTION: Is it possible that the 116 pages mentioned something about Isaiah 29 and the sealed book?

ANSWER: Yes, it's possible.

:idea:
Shulem
God

Re: New evidence Isaiah 29 - The Sealed Book - is a fake prophecy Invented by Joseph Smith

Post by Shulem »

Church News, 25 Jan 1992 wrote: There are 66 chapters in the Book of Isaiah, containing a total of 1,292 verses in the present King James Version text of Isaiah. Nineteen of the 66 chapters are quoted in their entirety in the Book of Mormon, and two other chapters are quoted in their entirety, except for two verses. The first two verses of one other chapter are quoted in the Book of Mormon, and one verse is quoted from each of two other chapters.

Eight chapters of Isaiah have verses quoted from them more than once, either completely or partially. Not counting these duplications, 425 of the 1,292 verses of Isaiah are quoted in the Book of Mormon. Of these 425 verses, 229 are quoted differently from those in the King James text, while 196 are identical.

Philo,

I think it's very reasonable to assume that portions of Isaiah were also included in the 116 lost pages known as the "Book of Lehi." I also think it's very reasonable to assert that Joseph Smith had preconceived the idea of the so-called "sealed book" before he ever dictated a single word to Martin Harris! Smith had been thinking about the Book of Mormon for years! He probably planted those ideas in Martin's head like seeds of a tree for the story he was about to tell. When Harris went to New York City he was fully charged with ideas placed in his mind by Joseph and the conversation between him and Anthon must have run along those lines. Smith was well versed in the Bible and familiar with the commentaries of his day. I have to think that the "sealed book" was part of the original idea of the gold plates and connections with Lehi and Nephi who quoted Isaiah and attributed his sayings to prophecies of the last days -- namely Joseph Smith the Seer.

So, with that said, Harris went to New York City with the idea of telling scholars about a sealed book written on gold plates. He was doing Joseph's bidding. He was fooled. And, I tend to think the testimony of Martin Harris was derived from the mushroom that Joseph slipped into his drink.

Yeah baby! Yeah Shulem!

:lol:
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:12 pm
So, with that said, Harris went to New York City with the idea of telling scholars about a sealed book written on gold plates. He was doing Joseph's bidding. He was fooled. And, I tend to think the testimony of Martin Harris was derived from the mushroom that Joseph slipped into his drink.

Philo baby,

Martin gave Joseph $50 (worth $1,500 today) to move from Manchester to Harmony and was very interested in Joseph's prophetic abilities. Prior to going to New York City for a confirmation of Smith's ability to translate, Martin Harris had a vision of the Lord and learned of the marvelous works he was about to do. THAT is *when* sneaky Joseph slipped the mushroom into Martin's drink and fully encouraged him to seek the Lord's will about the sealed book prophesied by Isaiah. Harris was fully primed and ready for action.

There. That was easy enough.

Isn't it great having Shulem around?

:lol:
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Prior to the invention and announcement of gold plates, I believe some of Joseph's favorite Old Testament verses which he likened to himself is expressed in Isaiah as a marvelous work and a wonder. He planned to use this supposed prophecy BEFORE he ever dictated a single word to Martin Harris and Oliver Cowdery.

Isaiah 29 wrote: 10 For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.