Question for Mo Experts

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Question for Mo Experts

Post by dastardly stem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:20 pm
Morley wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:37 pm

Yeah, I'm under the impression that God has an obligation to not let his prophets lead the Church into dark places. Imputing that Blacks are under a curse because of their actions in the pre-existence, or that they are descended from Cain, are both pretty dark. Denying a people blessings because of their race is a pretty dark place to go.
You know the history behind the priesthood ban on those of African decent. It’s not as simple as you portray it. Or DO you know the history? And the people/culture that influenced the views of those that said what they said.

What do the current views that are held…including the “we don’t know” comments…tell you? They may tell you something different than what others hear/interpret. This would be due to competing influences, knowledge, and experiences that you have had vs. what others have had.

That’s the rub. And that’s where disagreements lie.

Regards,
MG
MG,

Does the church not support the James passage wherein it says “if any of you lack wisdom let him ask of God…and it shall be given him”.

Ya have to wonder what happens when God endorses the notion he’ll answer questions freely but then it is excused by believers afterward saying he hasn’t answered questions asked of him and allowed his church to teach ugly things like “less valiant” and “cursed” based on race.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Stem - perhaps it's one of the parts that was not translated properly.

If so, that could explain a lot ... :)
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

malkie wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:33 pm

Yeah maybe Joseph was sent one of those strong delusions as evidenced by that passage of scripture entering Joseph’s soul and having such a big impact on him. I’m sure MG is right and Joseph was simply deceived.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:35 pm
malkie wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:33 pm

Yeah maybe Joseph was sent one of those strong delusions as evidenced by that passage of scripture entering Joseph’s soul and having such a big impact on him. I’m sure MG is right and Joseph was simply deceived.
This scripture made an impression on him as he heard preachers give sermons. He was convicted in his heart. He felt that his eternal soul and those of his family were at risk unless he followed the injunction/scripture quoted and then reinforced by those ‘in the know’.

James 1:5 was the trigger that led him to ask for forgiveness from his sins in order to ‘get right’ with his maker.

If Joseph had asked God something that God was not willing to divulge or let him have knowledge of at that time I doubt that he would have received it.

Think about it. Joseph’s main purpose in going to the Lord was of a VERY personal nature. It makes SENSE that God would respond.

But that doesn’t in turn mean that it is a logical step forward to then say God is forced/obligated to ask any and all questions that are placed before him as per the two quick examples I placed before malkie.

Regards,
MG
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:35 pm
Are you under the impression that God is somehow under obligation to answer every and all questions posed to Him?
Morley wrote:
Yeah, I'm under the impression that God has an obligation to not let his prophets lead the Church into dark places. Imputing that Blacks are under a curse because of their actions in the pre-existence, or that they are descended from Cain, are both pretty dark. Denying a people blessings because of their race is a pretty dark place to go.
MG 2.0 wrote:
You know the history behind the priesthood ban on those of African decent. It’s not as simple as you portray it. Or DO you know the history? And the people/culture that influenced the views of those that said what they said.

What do the current views that are held…including the “we don’t know” comments…tell you? They may tell you something different than what others hear/interpret. This would be due to competing influences, knowledge, and experiences that you have had vs. what others have had.

What does any of this have to do with whether or not God had an obligation to respond to prophetic questions about the priesthood ban?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

dastardly stem wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:30 pm
Does the church not support the James passage wherein it says “if any of you lack wisdom let him ask of God…and it shall be given him”.
Knowing that you are an unbeliever in any literal interpretation of scripture it is interesting that you are taking a hard fundamentalist/literal viewpoint of James 1:5.

Regards,
MG
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

I'll say this again: Yeah, I'm under the impression that God has an obligation to not let his prophets lead the Church into dark places. Imputing that Blacks are under a curse because of their actions in the pre-existence, or that they are descended from Cain, are both pretty dark. Denying a people blessings because of their race is a pretty dark place to go.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:50 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:35 pm
Are you under the impression that God is somehow under obligation to answer every and all questions posed to Him?
Morley wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:

What does any of this have to do with whether or not God had an obligation to respond to prophetic questions about the priesthood ban?
That He is under no obligation to do so. Read between the lines of the other comments I’ve made on this thread.

We cannot force God to reveal anything. But if He DOES, the scriptures are clear that He will do so through His prophets. If it’s something that has application to His church/kingdom.

Regards,
MG
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Morley wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:50 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:57 pm
That He is under no obligation to do so. Read between the lines of the other comments I’ve made on this thread.

We cannot force God to reveal anything. But if He DOES, the scriptures are clear that He will do so through His prophets. If it’s something that has application to His church/kingdom.
Please point out where what you said below refers to either God's obligation or his lack there of.
MG 2.0 wrote:

malkie
God

Post by malkie »

malkie wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:29 pm
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
So, apparently all we need to do is to ask god - who knew?
Quoting scripture does not imply agreement with said scripture. Sometimes it is done to point out inconsistencies, or attempts by believers to dodge and weave.

OTOH, perhaps what James meant was that if some selected person(s) lack wisdom they should ask god. Depending on god's mood at the time, or on other hidden conditions, god may or may not respond. If god does respond, the response may be "Nope, not going to tell you that. So sue me."
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!