John Gee and the length of the Book of Abraham etc

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Re: John Gee and the length of the Book of Abraham etc

Post by Fence Sitter »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:52 pm

One would think that the Church would have commissioned Egyptologist John Gee to produce a replica on actual papyrus using the hieratic script as a prop at the Visitor Center in Salt Lake City. What better way to exhibit the Book of Abraham than to produce a like copy of the original. A copy of a copy written by his own hand!

But the Church doesn't seem interested in doing this because it will raise far too many questions about the authenticity of the Book of Abraham. The Church knows it would be shooting itself in the foot.

I'm really looking forward to the Backyard Professor's response on Gee's apologetic tired drivel.

Hurry, hurry!!!!

:lol:
It's worse than that for Gee. The Church, along with many respected faithful scholars, are moving away from him and his apologetic work. He has been booted from the MI and put into a department where he is unwelcome. Recent publications by people like Givins, Skousen, Hauglid, Grey and others have shown that Gee's long scroll theory and Book of Abraham translation timeline are wrong. The Joseph Smith Papers Project, a Church owned publication, has issued its own work on the Book of Abraham without including him or his pet theories in more than just a footnote, while referencing people like Vogel, Ritner, Smith & Cook.
His life's work is being rejected by the very institution he thinks he is defending.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Do we know for a fact that Gee is unwelcome in his department? I don't recall ever hearing that. That's pretty brutal, but then academia is brutal.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:25 pm
Do we know for a fact that Gee is unwelcome in his department? I don't recall ever hearing that. That's pretty brutal, but then academia is brutal.
I can only speak for myself and based on conversations I have had with a member in Gee's department I believe he is seen as a problem. Usually, professors who try and get other professors fired are seen that way.