Why DCP’s Proposed Beatitudes Book is Problematic

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Why DCP’s Proposed Beatitudes Book is Problematic

Post by drumdude »

He has written a novel’s worth of text at Gemli lately.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:46 am
drumdude wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:15 am
I’m looking forward to reading this book somewhere around the year 2048.
DCP is a compulsive liar. If DCP writes 6,000 words a week, he will have over 312,000 words by the end of the year. Keep in mind, the Book of Mormon is only 269,000 words (531 pages).

So, DCP is writing more than a Book of Mormon every single year, but hasn't managed to get anything published? What....A....Freaking.....Liar....
Well, I think he includes the articles put out via Interpreter as part of this writing regimen. Technically he's "published" some stuff - albeit via a non peer reviewed (in the true meaning of that phrase), non academic hobbyist outlet.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“DP” wrote: STW: "Daniel when do you think some of these works in progress will be published?"

Oh, alas, that's a painful topic with me: I've set some goals for this year and, so far, am exceeding my targets.
On some of the biggest projects, they keep growing -- and, thus, their completion keeps receding. I'm thinking very seriously right now about how to manage that problem
Another area where this forum so wrongly mischaracterizes and maligns DP. It’s not that he’s lazy, it’s that he tries too hard guys!
abc: "I've looked up Mz. Henderson's article of that name. The quoted line is from Mz. Henderson, the reporter, not from the researchers themselves. That is a misattribution of the quote and, probably more importantly, a misrepresentation of the contents of the publication in question."

I appreciate your effort on this. In what I eventually publish, there will be no benefit to me if a source is misrepresented.
As I say, I would eventually have tracked down the original publication if I had chosen to build anything substantial upon it. And that's a daunting challenge. For some of the projects that I have underway, I have thousands of sources. I've actually thought of hiring a source-checker. But I no longer have university funding for such a hire, and that gives me pause. (Despite my millions in ill-gotten apologetic gains, I'm not actually wealthy.
It’s a shame BYU couldn’t wait another 30 years for the book(s?) he promised them. Why can’t they just fund his book project in perpetuity?