Why DCP’s Proposed Beatitudes Book is Problematic

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Why DCP’s Proposed Beatitudes Book is Problematic

Post by Marcus »

You could get a decently-sized book out of collecting all the pieces from which he has plagiarized. It would have to have 40 or 50 co-authors, though.
Abaddon
Nursery

Post by Abaddon »

With his commission still being to stop uncontested slam dunks, there is no room for apologies.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

There are many ways to do such a book, and I will enjoy seeing what he does with the topic.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

In physics almost no-one writes books, because the quantum of publication is smaller. A brass-ring article in a top journal has to fit in four pages. I have plenty of unfinished papers sitting in folders on hard drives.

Coaching academics to write is a whole small industry. It doesn't take a curse to explain not finishing books.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Sounds like as good as fit as any to me. DCP ain't bad. He's just a religious dude...like the Jesus character. Of course according to Jesus teaching Jesus will be much more mean to many more people than DCP ever could. The sermon filled with beattitudes is cute. By the end it seems to me Jesus basically undid all he said in that sermon. He tells us a good many believers he intends to put on ignore as they plead for his watchful eye or helpful hand during their lives while in the end of it all He intends to tell these terrible seekers the bad news of their eternal fate, with coldness and bruteness. Dr Peterson can only dream of having that much power to be that mean.

But like the Reverend, I'd be interested to see what Dr Peterson would come up with. Of course I'm not holding my breath on it.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:06 am
List of known upcoming books by the author Daniel C Peterson:

Yet to be titled book arguing for the Resurrection of Jesus
Yet to be titled book on the “fine-tuning” arguments for the existence of God
Yet to be titled book on the Beatutudes
Yet to be titled book on the compatibility of science and religion
Yet to be titled book on near death experiences
Yet to be titled book on irreducible complexity/intelligent design
Yet to be titled essay on Joseph Smith's connection between lightning and volcanoes
Yet to be titled book attacking the New Atheists circa 2010

Did I miss any?
Ten Muslim Classics
Annotated translation of, and introduction to, the Qur’an
Book on Christian approaches to Islam
Book on The Guide of the Perplexed, by Moses Maimonides

I'd also like to see a multivolume work titled The History of the Decline and Fall of the Maxwell Institute.

I've heard that retirement can be the busiest time of your life. It's understandably difficult to find time to write books when your time is filled with a hundred other worthy endeavors. My suggestion is to put Six Days in August on the backburner for a few years and steadily work with several motivated and prolific co-authors. Dr. Bradshaw comes to mind. He knows how to write and publish a book in a matter of months. Perhaps a former BYU colleague (e.g., Dr. Toronto) could get the revision and expansion of Abraham Divided restarted and help move it to the finish line.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Dan doesn't really have any expertise or credibility on Mormon history and his views are not in line with present scholarship, so I think writing a book about how he feels about the Beatitudes would be better suited to his expertise. I guess he's not interested in Islam or Arabic anymore, seems like those would be better focus areas.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

Why doesn't he write a book entitled, Adventures with My Divining Rod?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It’s very strange to see him put some notes about particle physics on his blog, and have his followers call him a “polymath.”

If copying some notes from a book like a high schooler makes you a polymath, I’m the next Issac Newton!
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

sock puppet wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:07 pm
Why doesn't he write a book entitled, Adventures with My Divining Rod?
Why doesn’t he finish writing a single book, any book?