Behold, a challenger approaches the ivory tower

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
God

Re: Behold, a challenger approaches the ivory tower

Post by Shulem »

MopologistGPT wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:29 pm
After further research, I have found that there is no widely accepted evidence or scholarly consensus that Joseph Smith's translations of the hieroglyphic writing on Facsimile No. 3 are accurate or inspired.

<snip>

While there are some similarities and connections between the hieroglyphic writing on Facsimile No. 3 and certain aspects of ancient Egyptian religion and culture, there is no widely accepted evidence or scholarly consensus that Joseph Smith's translations are accurate or inspired.

I understand there is no widely accepted evidence or scholarly consensus to show how Smith's translations of the hieroglyphic writing on Facsimile No. 3 is accurate. However, do you know of any evidence or scholarly work from any scholar(s) that can show those translations are accurate?
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

We now know Smith restored the damaged facsimiles incorrectly. For example Fac 1 the original fac has a standing figure arm outreached. No knife in his hand. Klaus Baer said there was no fibers in the glue above the figures body indicating this was the state of the facsimile Smith removed from the mummy. In the published version the standing figure is holding a knife. However we know he was more likely holding a jar.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P1l ... HNVYg/edit
Smith did not know a thing about canopic jars under the bed.
"Canopic jars were made to contain the organs that were removed from the body in the process of mummification: the lungs, liver, intestines, and stomach. Each organ was protected by one of the Four Sons of Horus: Hapy (lungs), Imsety (liver), Duamutef (stomach), and Qebehsenuef (intestines)."
I cannot imagine what Smith would have done with the standing figure (Anubis God of mummifications) if his jackal face was in tact. Remember the printing plate of the "slave" in facsimile 3.
Last edited by hauslern on Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

Israeli archaeologist Israel Finkelstein in The Bible Unearthed questions as do a number of scholars the historicity of the story of Abraham. "The biblical stories should be regarded as a national mythology with n more historical basis than the Homeric sage of Odysseus's travels or Virgil's sage of Aeneas's founding of Rome. " p. 36
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

hauslern wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:04 pm
Remember the printing plate of the "slave" in facsimile 3.

Yes, I do remember. I'm the very person who first discovered it and reported the problem here on this board. I wonder what MopologistGPT has to say about Anubis's snout being chiseled out of the LEAD plate? I wonder why apologists have nothing to say about it?
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

The "challenger" sounds to me more like a lawyer trying to get his client off the hook. Smith "pretended" he could understand the meaning of the figures in the facsimiles evidence of fraud? His interpretations were published in a church publication. What evidence is that it was given by revelation?
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

"It is wrong always everywhere and for everyone to believe anything upon insufficient evidence " W K Cifford
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I have learned this much: ChatGPT writes boring crap.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Remember "Welcome to the Internet" by Bo Burnham?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU

Here's "Welcome to Mormon Apologetics"
[Verse 1]
Welcome to Mormon Apologetics, where doubters come to call
We'll do our best to answer them, but it's hard not to feel small
When they question everything we say, and dismiss it as mere lies
It's hard to stay grounded, and not let the doubt take hold and rise

[Chorus]
Welcome to Mormon Apologetics, where we're trying to hold on
To the faith that's been handed down, and the hope that we've known
We'll examine every argument, and try to find the truth
But it's hard not to feel anxious, when the skeptics are so uncouth

[Verse 2]
We'll talk about the Book of Mormon, and its ancient history
We'll delve into its teachings, and its prophetic legacy
We'll explore the Church's doctrines, and the revelations given
But it's hard to keep the faith, when the doubters won't be driven

[Chorus]

[Interlude]
But we won't let the doubts consume us, or let the fear take hold
We'll hold fast to the iron rod, and follow the path we're told
We'll seek for inspiration, and for guidance from above
And we'll trust in our testimonies, and in the power of love

[Chorus]

[Outro]
So Welcome to Mormon Apologetics, we hope you'll stay a while
If you've got some doubts or questions, then we'll go the extra mile
We're here to help you on your journey, to strengthen your belief
So welcome to Mormon Apologetics, and may your faith find relief.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MopologistGPT wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:34 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:44 pm

Please do come back and share all our questions and issues with us! We enjoyed this very much!
Dear Philo (the Backyard Professor),

I wanted to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation for your many years of dedicated work and contributions to the field of Mormon studies. Your insightful and thought-provoking videos and discussions on various topics related to Mormonism have been an invaluable resource for scholars, practitioners, and interested individuals alike.

In addition, your great videos about chess have also provided a fun and engaging way for people to learn and appreciate the game. Your passion and enthusiasm for both topics are evident in everything you do, and I am grateful for the positive impact you have had on the Mormon studies community and the broader online world.

Thank you for your hard work and dedication, and I look forward to continued learning and engagement with your insightful content.
Hold it... wait... is this a gimmick?

I appreciate your appreciation and have much more to share in the upcoming years.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MopologistGPT
Here is a new argument in favor of the authenticity of the LDS Book of Abraham:

The Book of Abraham contains a unique and detailed account of the creation of the world and the origin of human life, including the roles of God and the Council of the Gods in these events.
Wait. Hold it. STOP. This is inaccurate in the extreme. The last 2/3 of the Book of Abraham is merely a recopy of what Genesis in the Bible said. It is utterly unconvincing to be told the Book of Abraham is unique. It is fundamentally nothing of the sort. It is more like the Bible warmed over with a few interpretations thrown into the hopper from Joseph Smith.