Lack of free will as an objective disproof of Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Lack of free will as an objective disproof of Mormonism

Post by MG 2.0 »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:58 pm

I was considering what it would mean if I told someone I went on a walk at 3pm yesterday and was asked if I dis such a thing of my own free will. I would think to myself well nobody came and forced me by threat to leave my home. I was not dragged down the street by a bear. It was my decision. I could also think It was a lovely day, one hard to stay inside for. I felt impelled to up and take a walk. In fact it would be hard to resist the desire.
Today is a snow day here in Utah. I made a free will choice to stay in and play around on this board. Did I have to? No. But it’s snowing and cold outside. I just finished a novel I was reading. Today I felt like writing and participating on this board rather than not (as I choose otherwise to do at other times because of good weather and a greater variety of things to do), and it was a conscious choice as far as I can tell.

In this way I suppose free will is deterministic based on factors in the environment and feelings/thoughts resulting therefrom. But it’s still free will as much as I can determine.

Free will is also a part of what leads us to either believe and/or not believe in God. Factors that we deem important pro and con will act as determinants, granted, so in that sense you could also say that determinism is a factor.

But choice is still at play seemingly. It’s not turtles all the way down. But it is a turtle or two along the way as we make what seem to be very real and often nonlinear individual choices.

If we’re mistaken as to whether or not we have free will I’m not sure that we could ever really know. It’s sort of along the line of trying to pinpoint consciousness and its origins.

I guess from the viewpoint of religionists vs. non-religionists it might be a big deal. As for now I think I’m comfortable with the idea that I have free will and that to some extent or another…depending on various factors…I’m accountable for those choices to a creator/God.

Someone else might have reason to exercise their own free will and take a different path.

Regards,
MG
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

See what happens when one indulges naïve understandings based on subjective experience?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:11 am
See what happens when one indulges naïve understandings based on subjective experience?
Yeah, you turn into a retarded cultist.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:05 am
I’m accountable for my choices to a creator/God.
M.G., you're going to be sporting a TK Smoothie for eternity.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:32 am
honorentheos wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:11 am

- Doc
Man, you’re harsh. It would be really difficult to sit down with you and break bread. You’re at a whole different level than one might expect to see in civil society.

I would be almost afraid to meet you on a dark corner or in an alley.

Your language is very provocative. Almost Trump like.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:40 am
Thank God for the ability to repent.

Have you done so recently?

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:32 am
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:40 am
Thank God for the ability to repent.

Have you done so recently?

Regards,
MG
*bump for Wang Chung
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:31 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:32 am

- Doc
Man, you’re harsh. It would be really difficult to sit down with you and break bread. You’re at a whole different level than one might expect to see in civil society.

I would be almost afraid to meet you on a dark corner or in an alley.

Your language is very provocative. Almost Trump like.

Regards,
MG
I would never break bread with you.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:05 am
huckelberry wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:58 pm

I was considering what it would mean if I told someone I went on a walk at 3pm yesterday and was asked if I dis such a thing of my own free will. I would think to myself well nobody came and forced me by threat to leave my home. I was not dragged down the street by a bear. It was my decision. I could also think It was a lovely day, one hard to stay inside for. I felt impelled to up and take a walk. In fact it would be hard to resist the desire.
Today is a snow day here in Utah. I made a free will choice to stay in and play around on this board. Did I have to? No. But it’s snowing and cold outside. I just finished a novel I was reading. Today I felt like writing and participating on this board rather than not (as I choose otherwise to do at other times because of good weather and a greater variety of things to do), and it was a conscious choice as far as I can tell.

In this way I suppose free will is deterministic based on factors in the environment and feelings/thoughts resulting therefrom. But it’s still free will as much as I can determine.

Free will is also a part of what leads us to either believe and/or not believe in God. Factors that we deem important pro and con will act as determinants, granted, so in that sense you could also say that determinism is a factor.

But choice is still at play seemingly. It’s not turtles all the way down. But it is a turtle or two along the way as we make what seem to be very real and often nonlinear individual choices.

If we’re mistaken as to whether or not we have free will I’m not sure that we could ever really know. It’s sort of along the line of trying to pinpoint consciousness and its origins.

I guess from the viewpoint of religionists vs. non-religionists it might be a big deal. As for now I think I’m comfortable with the idea that I have free will and that to some extent or another…depending on various factors…I’m accountable for those choices to a creator/God.

Someone else might have reason to exercise their own free will and take a different path.

Regards,
MG
If free will is real and god is real he is a monster. He knew going in that most people would fail. He put them through this bizarre test knowing that. I wouldn't worship him if he was real.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Rivendale wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:04 pm

If free will is real and god is real he is a monster. He knew going in that most people would fail. He put them through this bizarre test knowing that. I wouldn't worship him if he was real.
It depends on what you think the test is.

It isn’t necessarily whether or not you become a Christian and/or a member of the CofJCofLDS.

What do you think the test is?

How one defines ‘test’ directly has to do on success or failure in this life. You may very well NOT be failing ‘the test’.

I think people, generally speaking, are often too hard on themselves thinking that they are failing God and/or failing in life. However, I don’t think God views any of us as abject failures.

I’m not sure what you mean when you seem to be saying God purposefully sent us to earth to fail. If God is a loving God this just doesn’t make sense.

Neither does a monster god make sense. If you look at God in this way it is going to distort any vision you might have as Him as your Father. Is it not?

Regards,
MG