ChatGPT has the gift of revelation, or how chatbots can revolutionize religion

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

ChatGPT has the gift of revelation, or how chatbots can revolutionize religion

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Chatbots don't actually understand anything they generate, but they have been trained on so much data that they can spit out variations of it to mimic the inputs. If you've read about the LDS training for patriarchs, this is almost exactly how it works for them as well. Many patriarchs use the same exact blessing for all recipients with just minor tweaks.

Since that is the case, why not cut out the uninspired human middleman and just let chatbots do all the blessings? I have a warm and fuzzy feeling that this is a good idea, so therefore it's true and I prophesy that it will come to pass.

While my examples here are of Mormon revelation, there is absolutely no doubt that ChatGPT and any other reasonably good chatbot could write stuff that was just as authentic as a "Chicken Soup for the Soul" book or a Joel Osteen sermon.

As a demonstration of how chatbots can revolutionize religion, I asked ChatGPT to write a patriarchal blessing. Here's what it came up with for a fictional 18-year-old girl:
ChatGPT wrote: Sister Jensen:

I have prayed for guidance and inspiration as I prepare to give you a patriarchal blessing. I am grateful for the opportunity to do so, and I hope that my words will bring you comfort, guidance, and direction.

First and foremost, I want you to know that you are a beloved daughter of God. He loves you, and He has a plan for your life. As you continue to seek Him and follow His commandments, you will be blessed with His guidance and inspiration.

You are at a pivotal point in your life, and I feel inspired to tell you that you have a special mission to fulfill. You have been blessed with many talents and abilities, and as you use them to serve others and make a difference in the world, you will find fulfillment and joy. You will touch many lives and be a light to those around you.

I see that you have a strong desire to learn and grow, and I feel inspired to tell you that you will have many opportunities to do so. You will have the chance to travel and meet people from different cultures, and as you do, you will gain valuable insights and perspectives. You will be able to learn and grow in ways that you cannot yet imagine.

As you look to the future, I feel inspired to tell you that you will have a strong and loving family of your own one day. You will be a wonderful wife and mother, and your children will be blessed to have you as their mother. Your family will be a source of great joy and happiness for you, and you will have the opportunity to teach and guide them in the gospel.

I want you to know that there will be challenges and trials in your life, but as you turn to the Lord and rely on His strength, you will be able to overcome them. Your faith and devotion to the gospel will be an anchor in your life, and will help you through any difficulties that may come your way.

As I close this blessing, I want you to know that you are loved and appreciated. You have a bright future ahead of you, and as you trust in the Lord and follow His guidance, you will be able to fulfill the mission that He has for you. May His blessings be upon you always.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
And here is a D&C-style revelation that ChatGPT wrote for John Gee, as recorded in his fictional journal:
ChatGPT wrote: Behold I say unto you, my servant John, thou hast been valiant in the pre-existence and hast been called to this earth for a sacred purpose. Thou art a scholar in the field of Egyptology, but thy colleagues do not understand the fullness of the truth thou hast received through the writings of mine apostle Abraham. They trust in the wisdom of the world and are misled by the adversary.

For their understanding is limited, and they have been blinded by the craftiness of the evil one. They have been taught to trust in their own reason and understanding, instead of feeling the truth in their hearts.

But thou, my servant, hast not been deceived. Thou hast felt the burning in thy bosom as thou hast gazed upon the Facsimile 2, and hast seen mine power and might projected forth like a spear. Verily, I am the bull of my mother, even as the prophets have said. And thou hast known that I am the Lord thy God, who speaks unto thee through the writings of Abraham, revealing the mysteries of the universe and the history of my people on this earth.

Fear not, my servant, for thou hast not been forsaken. Thy trials and tribulations are but a small price to pay for the knowledge thou hast received. And I, the Lord thy God, shall reward thee for thy faithfulness. I shall open the eyes of thy colleagues, and they shall see the truth that thou hast known. I shall pour out my Spirit upon them, and they shall feel the burning in their bosoms, even as thou hast felt it. And they shall know that I am the Lord, and that the writings of Abraham are true.

And thou, my servant, shalt be a shining light unto the world. Thou shalt be a witness of my truth and power, and thou shalt be a defender of the faith. Thy name shall be remembered among the saints, and thou shalt be blessed for generations to come.

And now, my servant John, I say unto thee: I am the first and the last, the beginning and the end. I am the Alpha and Omega, the author and finisher of thy faith. I am the Lord thy God, and I come quickly, and will receive the righteous unto myself. Be of good cheer, my servant, for I am with thee always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Re: ChatGPT has the gift of revelation, or how chatbots can revolutionize religion

I just searched and someone on ex-Mormon Reddit had the same patriarchal blessing idea:
ChatGPT wrote:Dear [Name],

As a representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I extend to you this patriarchal blessing, a personal message of inspiration, guidance, and prophecy. May it bring you comfort and direction as you navigate the challenges and opportunities of life.

You have been blessed with a strong spirit and a keen intellect, and I believe that you have the potential to do great things. I sense that you will choose to serve a full-time mission for the church, sharing the gospel with others and bringing many to a knowledge of the truth. Through your devotion and dedication, you will be a shining example of faith and courage.

In due time, I see you finding a righteous companion who will be your partner in life, and together you will build a loving and harmonious home, filled with joy and peace. Your children will be a source of pride and satisfaction, and they will bring blessings to your lives and to the lives of those around them.

I also see that you are of the lineage of [choose one of the twelve tribes of Israel]. This is a noble heritage, and one that carries with it a rich tradition and a powerful connection to the covenants of the Lord. As you strive to live up to your divine potential, you will find fulfillment and happiness, and you will bring honor to your lineage and to your Lord.

In the years ahead, I see you accomplishing much, both in your personal and professional life. You will be known for your wisdom, your integrity, and your kindness, and you will leave a lasting legacy that will inspire and bless others for generations to come.

As for whether you will be alive when Jesus comes again, that is something that only the Lord knows. But I can tell you this: if you continue to walk in faith, to keep the commandments, and to follow the promptings of the Spirit, you will be ready and worthy to meet your Savior and enjoy eternal life in his presence.

In the name of Jesus Christ, I bless you with these words, and I pray that they will bring you peace and comfort as you journey through life. May the Lord bless and keep you, now and forever. Amen.
Kishkumen
God

Re: ChatGPT has the gift of revelation, or how chatbots can revolutionize religion

Post by Kishkumen »

Hate to be a buzzkill here, but patriarchs will at least get a sense of who a person is and be influenced by that.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:35 am
Hate to be a buzzkill here, but patriarchs will at least get a sense of who a person is and be influenced by that.
They'll talk to the person to do a warm reading, similar to psychics, but the resulting products are usually the exact same with only slight variations.

I personally have heard of this from people who have compared blessings received from the same patriarch, but here's a Reddit post in which a number of posters say they had that experience as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... blessings/
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

I guess this joke about the Egyptian God Min as seen in Facsimile 2 was a bit too subtle inside of the Gee revelation?
Thou hast felt the burning in thy bosom as thou hast gazed upon the Facsimile 2, and hast seen mine power and might projected forth like a spear. Verily, I am the bull of my mother, even as the prophets have said.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:25 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:35 am
They'll talk to the person to do a warm reading, similar to psychics, but the resulting products are usually the exact same with only slight variations.

I personally have heard of this from people who have compared blessings received from the same patriarch, but here's a Reddit post in which a number of posters say they had that experience as well:

At the end of my PB, the patriarch said to me that he had never given a blessing anything like that before, and that he had no idea at all where it came from. It was full of imagery that neither of us could see a reason for. The blessing he gave my then-wife immediately before was completely run-of-the-mill.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

malkie wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:44 pm
Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:25 pm

At the end of my PB, the patriarch said to me that he had never given a blessing anything like that before, and that he had no idea at all where it came from. It was full of imagery that neither of us could see a reason for. The blessing he gave my then-wife immediately before was completely run-of-the-mill.
I guess he had some good Valium that day?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I just don’t sympathize with the extreme cynicism. No offense intended, and we all come from different viewpoints, but I didn’t have a cookie-cutter PB, and I know others who have not. I feel badly for those who had a negative experience, but I don’t think the whole thing is just pointless nonsense.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:24 pm
I just don’t sympathize with the extreme cynicism. No offense intended, and we all come from different viewpoints, but I didn’t have a cookie-cutter PB, and I know others who have not. I feel badly for those who had a negative experience, but I don’t think the whole thing is just pointless nonsense.
You’re not alone. It seems like a lot of former members still feel this way about their PB. They’re not widely shared even though thousands have left the church.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:24 pm
So you are saying that you think the advice some people receive was useful to them/yourself?

My own blessing was purely generic, except for a couple of things that my father mentioned right beforehand.