We Do Not Support John Dehlin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

This is something I just learned in the past few days, and I got to admit that I'm upset that it's not taken more seriously, especially here on this board. There are 19 Mormon/Exmormon women who have signed a letter accusing John Dehlin of inappropriate actions against them. I just learned this information. On the other hand, RFM is permitted to speak negatively about jenn Kamp by stating that he is relieved that he was never in the same room with her while they were both alone. 19 women have come forward to accuse John of acting inappropriately toward them, which is a significant number of women. In fact, all it took was one woman to accuse a judge of inappropriate behavior for the government to spend millions of dollars and thousands of hours investigating the allegation that he was inappropriate towards one woman. There are 19 women who have accused John of acting inappropriately toward them while he was interacting with them. Why does it appear that no one on this board is interested in what these women have to say? On this board, Rosebud and Jenn are both made fun of and viciously attacked, but no one appears to care about either of them. Can someone please explain why a message board in which men make up the majority of the posters is allowing this grotesque behavior to continue toward women who are attempting to have their voices heard?

Here's a video I watched yesterday, never knew so many Mormon/Exmormon women are accusing John of being such a major A-hole! Would love to know what other board members think. 19 Mormon/Exmormon Women!
https://www.youtube.com/live/mnliFWAPxuE?feature=share

Here's the letter

John Dehlin has long used Mormon and x-Mormon women to mask his bad behavior.

He has used our talents, time, movements and reputation to bolster his brand and enrich himself. He takes advantage of vulnerable people in crisis, who are in legitimate need of help and community. When women come forward with critiques of his behavior or allegations of wrongdoing he retaliates by lashing out at them and attempting to publicly discredit them.

We aren’t people who protect the Mormon Church, and we also don’t protect men who put the community at risk— whether they are Mormon or not.

We have had enough.

Many of us have worked with him in the past, and want to make clear that we no longer do and don’t encourage any other women to do so. It’s not safe. We refuse to be used as a mask for abuse.

We think it’s a better use of everyone’s time and investment to support other folks building community and providing resources for exiting Mormonism. If you need therapy, you should seek out a professional who is actually licensed by the state to provide those services. If you need community (as we all do), you should seek out people who don’t regularly tear down women who disagree with them. It’s time we reconsider giving so much energy and support to someone who has the potential to do so much harm.

John Dehlin often attempts to paint criticism as an “attack” and is an expert at making himself the victim.

This is not an attack. It’s a clarification of values. Our values are to support and believe women.

We invite you to do the same.

Kate Kelly, founder of Ordain Women

Jenn Kamp, former co-host of Mormon Stories Podcast and Director of Operations for Open Stories Foundation (Open Stories Foundation)
Joanna Smith, Ordain Women founding Board Member
Amy Grubbs, former Director of Operations for Open Stories Foundation (Open Stories Foundation)
Sharon Price, former Events Coordinator for Open Stories Foundation (Open Stories Foundation)
Dr. Kristy Money
Dr. Amber Choruby Whiteley
Dr. Mica McGriggs
Marisa McPeck-Stringham, MSW, CSW
April Carlson, LCSW
Aimee Evans Hickman, former editor-in-chief of Exponent II
Emily Clyde Curtis
Chelsi Barnard Archibald
Tresa Brown Edmunds
Hannah Wheelwright
“Rosebud,” representing herself and the many women John Dehlin has intimidated into silence
Jaynee Talbot
Leanne Sawyer
Raina Kimball

Will the moderators move this thread to the telestial forum and silence the voices of 19 Mormon/Exmormon women?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: We Do Not Support John Dehlin

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Would love to know what other board members think
Use the search feature, bing bong.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Lowrance wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:12 pm
Would love to know what other board members think.

In the past, I've made fun and poked names at Rosebud because of the drama she has brought to the board which in my view doesn't belong here. But with that, I've not made any statement to the affect of whether John is guilty of impropriety with woman. I don't know and neither do I want to know. I don't consider it my personal business to be in the know regarding these matters. My interest in this board involves Mormonism on a doctrinal basis and I avoid the personal dramas.

I feel the Rosebud drama threads belong in another forum and they detract from what this board is about. It's not what I'm looking for here at Discuss Mormonism. That is my answer and I hope you understand.

PS. Sorry, I did not click the link and investigate. I'm simply not interested in this kind of bad news.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Lowrance wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:12 pm
Here's a video I watched yesterday, never knew so many Mormon/Exmormon women are accusing John of being such a major A-hole! Would love to know what other board members think.
I can't speak for the whole board, but I think he should stop being a major A-hole.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Failed Prophecy
Sunbeam

Post by Failed Prophecy »

How do you know the majority of posters here are men?
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

As mentioned search the board and find out. Love that Kate Kelly keeps inserting herself in this. She doxxed Rosebud long after Rosebud tried to protect her identity via tweet that was available for over a year. KK is how Kwaku found out Rosebud’s name, not John Dehlin. It was quite humorous to see Rosebud blaming John Dehlin for doxxing her when he didn’t, it was Kate Kelly and Kwaku.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Number of John Dehlin podcasts I’ve listened to: 0
Number of John Dehlin Podcasts I plan on listening to: 0
Amount of money donated to John Dehlin: 0
Amount of money I plan on donating to John Dehlin: 0
Amount of time I’ve known how to accurately pronounce his last name: Less than a year.
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The irony is that all of this drives more traffic and money to Mormon Stories.

John is laughing all the way to the bank.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:21 pm
Number of John Dehlin podcasts I’ve listened to: 0
Number of John Dehlin Podcasts I plan on listening to: 0
Amount of money donated to John Dehlin: 0
Amount of money I plan on donating to John Dehlin: 0
Amount of time I’ve known how to accurate pronounce his last name: Less than a year.
I'm totally different, in that I'm still not completely sure how to pronounce "Dehlin". :)
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Dwight wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:10 pm
As mentioned search the board and find out. Love that Kate Kelly keeps inserting herself in this. She doxxed Rosebud long after Rosebud tried to protect her identity via tweet that was available for over a year. KK is how Kwaku found out Rosebud’s name, not John Dehlin. It was quite humorous to see Rosebud blaming John Dehlin for doxxing her when he didn’t, it was Kate Kelly and Kwaku.
If one goes back further in time, to the prior iteration of this board, Rosebud provided her own personal information.

She had shared her professional webpage, which had her name, biographical/family information, educational and professional experience, etc. It was posters here that convinced her that having her personal identity permanently linked to her posting history as “Rosebud” was unwise. I know of two instances where this happened, and we were able to convince her to go back and delete the link. Not sure if there were instances where she didn’t go back.

Basically, many on this board put more effort into protecting her than her so-called advocates.