Making Covenants

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: Making Covenants

Post by IHAQ »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 pm
[inaccurate paraphrase deleted - please do not include anything within a quote that doesn’t accurately represent the quoted person’s words. RI]

Message received.

Thanks,
MG
This was yesterday on this very thread. “Message Received” clearly has a different meaning for MG 2.0 than the traditional way it’s usually meant…
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:23 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 pm
[inaccurate paraphrase deleted - please do not include anything within a quote that doesn’t accurately represent the quoted person’s words. RI]

Message received.

Thanks,
MG
This was yesterday on this very thread. “Message Received” clearly has a different meaning for MG 2.0 than the traditional way it’s usually meant…
So this is why mg inaccurately paraphrased me multiple times after that, but was very careful to not put it in the quote of me when he did it. Wow. Sneaky.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:18 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:08 pm
Your last sentence captures perfectly the technique under discussion. Properly (or even improperly) truncating a quote to focus on a specific element is a far cry from intentionally misrepresenting someone repeatedly. Mg's completely untruthful misuse of my comment in several recent posts (as I detailed above) is also another very specific example of this, on top of his misrepresentation of you. It's a disingenuous technique.
A moderator pulled him about this very thing very recently. The moderator removed the altered and truncated “quote” and told MG2.0 to stop doing that. I think MG’s response was “My Bad”. Clearly that warning wasn’t sufficient to amend his behaviour. I’ll be very discouraged if he isn’t banned for a period over this repeated bad behaviour.
This recent bellyache isn’t the same as the situation with Doc. I used brackets and plugged in words that were a LOT softer than the language he was using. All I did was use ellipsis in this current hoopla and leave part of the sentence out. This has been done MANY times over the years by various posters with little or no fanfare. Marcus uses ellipses and leaves words out quite often to where it actually changes meaning. Canpakes also apparently uses ellipses. Oh my! There are simply some folks that have some kind of a chip on their shoulder and/or vendetta.

Much being made out of very little. I think some people want my thoughts/viewpoints squelched. Cancelled.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

huckelberry wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:20 pm
MG, why would a person not think their role in covenant making was complete when partaking the sacrament?
Good question. I’ve been gone this after noon to the temple and other things away from home. I’m helping out with a service project this evening. I’ll pop back in when I can and make some remarks on your question.

Regards,
MG
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:21 am
huckelberry wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:20 pm
MG, why would a person not think their role in covenant making was complete when partaking the sacrament?
Good question. I’ve been gone this after noon to the temple and other things away from home. I’m helping out with a service project this evening. I’ll pop back in when I can and make some remarks on your question.

Regards,
MG
Wow. You forgot to mention how you might go by the hospital after the service project to give blessings ...

Seriously, you really need to stop with the self-righteousness and perhaps you will get a different reaction from people here. It might take a minute because people will find it hard to believe the humble superiority changed, but, give it time and people will come around.

Really, no need to preach.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:30 pm
In I Nephi Chapter 19:23-24 Nephi is teaching his brothers and he asks them to liken the scriptures unto themselves. What he was really saying is that the scriptures that they had access to were describing the covenant people of the Lord and their relationship to Him through the Abrahamic Covenant. Thus the scriptures were directly applicable to them as they were also of the House of Israel. We can then make that same application to our own lives as covenant people of the Lord. We also can seek the promised blessings of Abraham. I hadn’t directly considered that this may have been what Nephi was referring to when he asked his brothers (and us) to liken the scriptures unto ourselves.

These are my own thoughts and extrapolations from my reading, not a direct quote this time around.
umm, no. You’ve been lulled into complacency by Peterson’s plagiarism. What you’ve stated above is not your own thoughts and extrapolations, but rather what Peterson would describe pompously as “paraphrastic notes.” Defined by the rest of the world, including byu, as mosaic plagiarism.

Here’s Muhlestein’s original:
…In 1 Nephi 19:23, Nephi tells us that he tried to help his brothers by likening the scriptures to themselves…. in the preceding verses Nephi had been talking about the promises to Israel. In the following verse he shares what he did to entreat them to liken the scriptures to themselves, explaining, “I spake unto them, saying: Hear ye the words of the prophet, ye who are a remnant of the house of Israel, …and liken them unto yourselves” (1 Nephi 19:24).

Thus we can see that what Nephi was really saying was that the scriptures were about the covenant people; Laman and Lemuel were covenant people, therefore they should have directly applied scriptures about the covenant and covenant people to themselves. This is as true for us as it was for them. When we recognize the covenantal references and realize that we are part of that same covenant, then the scriptures speak to our lives and situations in a much more direct and powerful way….
there’s nothing wrong with quoting someone’s work, and it’s much preferable to paraphrastic-Peterson-plagiarism. Just stick with normal quoting, and give credit where credit is due!

But, please, keep going. There is 20% more of the free sample left after this section.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

These are my own thoughts and extrapolations from my reading, not a direct quote this time around.
There’s something so perfect about a man paraphrasing another man and then declaring those are his own thoughts.

Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:18 am
This recent bellyache isn’t the same as the situation with Doc. I used brackets and plugged in words that were a LOT softer than the language he was using. All I did was use ellipsis in this current hoopla and leave part of the sentence out. This has been done MANY times over the years by various posters with little or no fanfare. Marcus uses ellipses and leaves words out quite often to where it actually changes meaning. Canpakes also apparently uses ellipses. Oh my! There are simply some folks that have some kind of a chip on their shoulder and/or vendetta.

Much being made out of very little. I think some people want my thoughts/viewpoints squelched. Cancelled.

Regards,
MG
Let's be clear, this is about you manipulating the quotes of others and making it seem like they said something they didn't. It's exactly the same situation as with Doc and with Marcus and with Canpakes and with multiple other posters time and time and time again. This despite it being pointed out to you time and time and time again. You're not listening. You're not amending your behaviour despite you acknowledging the problem time and time and time again.

Enough.

You've demonstrated time and time and time again that you won't change willingly. I'll be very discouraged if the moderating team allow you to get away with it yet again.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:49 am
MG 2.0 wrote:

Regards,
MG
Let's be clear, this is about you manipulating the quotes of others and making it seem like they said something they didn't. It's exactly the same situation as with Doc and with Marcus and with Canpakes and with multiple other posters time and time and time again. This despite it being pointed out to you time and time and time again. You're not listening. You're not amending your behaviour despite you acknowledging the problem time and time and time again.

Enough.

You've demonstrated time and time and time again that you won't change willingly. I'll be very discouraged if the moderating team allow you to get away with it yet again.
“Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid.” V. Legasov, Chernobyl
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

MG 2.0 wrote:

MG2.0: Would you consider me to be discussing in good faith if I did the following?

Wow, MG, I went back and read between the lines and realized what you're saying.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:10 pm
...it is not necessary for me or any other member of the church to keep the covenants we have made with God.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:15 am
...don’t believe in or have a confidence that there is or even could be a creator God. It’s a nonstarter.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:28 am
Truthfully I’m ... somewhat fuzzy and evasive.