Making Covenants

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: Making Covenants

Post by IHAQ »

I’ve received notification from the moderation team that MG 2.0’s problematic behaviour is not going to be dealt with. That’s their prerogative. I’m done.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:47 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:32 pm
Oh, I almost forgot. Steven Pinker and his blank slate theory. That came along and…wow.
Wanna know how I know MG is lying about having read Pinker’s book the blank slate?

wOw! uWu!

:roll:

- Doc
You are correct sir. I did not read Pinker’s book, “Blank State”. I haven’t read any of his writings since I was going to BYU and studying the development of language in a children’s linguistics class of some sort. Around forty five years ago or so. Later on I knew that he was involved in controversies regarding blank state theories of mind. But I didn’t pay much attention to them. And I am confusing blank slate theory to him.

What I remember was that he was considered to be, and still is I think (not sure), an ultra Darwinist. A champion of evolution. The thing is, at the time I was kind of a fan of Pinker and had read some of his writings here and there. To know that someone who I admired and had read some of his stuff and thought it to make sense, etc., was an atheist and was a hard proponent of evolution put me in a situation of cognitive dissonance.

Years….years…have gone by and I am wrong in calling him a Blank Slate proponent. The thing is, I still admire the man for all the good that he’s done along the way. If I wasn’t a religionist I would be one of his stalwart admirers/fans.

So Doc, you are correct. I didn’t read this particular book. I didn’t say that I did, by the way.

At the time I was at an impressionable age I did look to him as an authority figure and because he was an atheist/evolutionist, this troubled me at the time.

Sorry I got him mixed up with ‘blank slate theory’ as a proponent.

Doc, if I have misspoken at any time I try to clear it up. But the truth is, I don’t have to do so very often because I try to speak the truth according to recollections I have. And I don’t mind being corrected.

I’m sure you try and do the same.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:26 pm
I’ve received notification from the moderation team that MG 2.0’s problematic behaviour is not going to be dealt with. That’s their prerogative. I’m done.
Good to hear.

Regards,
MG
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:56 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Wanna know how I know MG is lying about having read Pinker’s book the blank slate?

wOw! uWu!

- Doc
You are correct sir. I did not read Pinker’s book, “Blank State”. I haven’t read any of his writings since I was going to BYU and studying the development of language in a children’s linguistics class of some sort. Around forty five years ago or so. Later on I knew that he was involved in controversies regarding blank state theories of mind. But I didn’t pay much attention to them. And I am confusing blank slate theory to him.

What I remember was that he was considered to be, and still is I think (not sure), an ultra Darwinist. A champion of evolution. The thing is, at the time I was kind of a fan of Pinker and had read some of his writings here and there. To know that someone who I admired and had read some of his stuff and thought it to make sense, etc., was an atheist and was a hard proponent of evolution put me in a situation of cognitive dissonance.

Years….years…have gone by and I am wrong in calling him a Blank Slate proponent. The thing is, I still admire the man for all the good that he’s done along the way. If I wasn’t a religionist I would be one of his stalwart admirers/fans.

So Doc, you are correct. I didn’t read this particular book. I didn’t say that I did, by the way.

At the time I was at an impressionable age I did look to him as an authority figure and because he was an atheist/evolutionist, this troubled me at the time.

Doc, if I have misspoken at any time I try to clear it up. But the truth is, I don’t have to do so very often because I try to speak the truth according to recollections I have. And I don’t mind being corrected.

Regards,
MG
I have read most of Pinker's work. Including the blank slate. A thread on that would be cool. ETA...Leviathan cool.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

wOw! uWu!

- Doc

Regards,
MG
typical mg. imply something, get caght, fall back on a technicality. your methods are well established, as is your reputation for these games.
Last edited by Marcus on Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:26 pm
no surprise. all we can do is ignore, or continue to point it out.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MG 2.0 wrote:
I haven’t read any of his writings since I was going to BYU …
Oh? What writings of his did you read when you were attending BYU?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:40 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

- Doc
i'd be interested also. 45 years ago would be around 1978. What Pinker writings were you reading in 1978, mentalgymnast?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

MG 2.0 wrote:
I haven’t read any of his writings since I was going to BYU and studying the development of language in a children’s linguistics class of some sort. Around forty five years ago or so.
Regards,
MG
It's interesting that M.G. 2.0 read Steven Pinker in 1978 (45 years ago) at BYU. According to Wikipedia, Pinkers very first book was published at the end of 1984.

Um, M.G.?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:40 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

- Doc
Man, you’ve got me going back forty five years plus or minus. My guess is that my dad, he graduated from UCLA way back when in neuroscience with a PhD., had stuff laying around and I picked it up and read it when the family moved up to Utah while I was at…or before(?)…BYU. Or I ran across stuff as I was taking my linguistics class. I really don’t know. I just remember becoming familiar with him and admiring him. It could have been in Psychology Today magazine. We subscribed to it back at some time or another.

Articles written in other magazines? I don’t know.

It’s hard to say.

Sorry to be a bit wishy washy. That was a long time ago. Longer than the age of a lot of folks on this board if I was to hazard a guess.

But I’m still standing! 🙂

Regards,
MG