Making Covenants

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Making Covenants

Post by MG 2.0 »

I’ve been reading a book by Kerry Muhlestein whom many of you are probably familiar with. In this book he lays out the importance of making covenants with God.
The foremost reason we should learn about the covenant is because of the bond that forges between us and God. Covenants have always been about creating relationships. In ancient times, they delineated the relationship between countries or people. The covenant path is really about our relationship with God; it is a path to a perfect relationship of full unity. Throughout history, people have either been in a covenant relationship with God, which defines them as His people, or they have not, which means they are not His people. Clearly, everyone is a child of God, but the choice to be part of a covenant enhances and changes that relationship. Even for those in the covenant, the relationship is defined by whether or not they keep the covenant. Yet there is a difference between those who have made a covenant and are not keeping it, and those who have not made the covenant, even if people in those two categories are behaving in the same way.
pg.9
President Nelson has been emphasizing covenants for many years now. As prophet he is emphasizing it even more. If you haven’t read this book, I’d recommend it. I’m learning a lot about covenants and covenant keeping that I haven’t ever really thought about before.

https://www.amazon.com/God-Will-Prevail ... 478&sr=8-1

In essence, the gospel is all about covenant keeping with God.

It’s easy to lose sight of that.

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Making Covenants

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:04 am
i regret i never saw the original with him in it. What an event that must have been.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

The church just confessed to breaking implied covenants to follow and sustain the law and M.G. talks about making covenants to an invisible being he collectively invents along with his SEC violating masters. No thanks. How about the church leaders come down off the mountain and join society? Narcissism is overrated. They no longer need to pretend they speak for "god."

Regards,

Dr. Exiled
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:40 am

Yes, it's easy to lose sight of that when the church spends all of it's time and money covering up sex abuse scandals, dealing with SEC fines, hoarding 150 billion dollars, class action lawsuits, excluding gays, etc.

I always thought the gospel was about repentance, loving thy neighbors, praying for those that persecute you and salvation through Christ's Atonement. Who knew it was "all about covenant keeping with God?' Thanks MG!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Making covenants with God is something every human being can do, whatever their definition of God. Mormonism demands covenants be made with and through the church. And that’s where all the trouble begins.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:39 am
The church just confessed to breaking implied covenants to follow and sustain the law…
Oversimplified.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:48 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:40 am

Yes, it's easy to lose sight of that when the church spends all of it's time and money covering up sex abuse scandals, dealing with SEC fines, hoarding 150 billion dollars, class action lawsuits, excluding gays, etc.

I always thought the gospel was about repentance, loving thy neighbors, praying for those that persecute you and salvation through Christ's Atonement. Who knew it was "all about covenant keeping with God?' Thanks MG!
Also, oversimplification.

Regards,
MG
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:34 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:39 am
The church just confessed to breaking implied covenants to follow and sustain the law…
Oversimplified.

Regards,
MG
We know, we have tried to tell the church FOR YEARS, and they ignore it, no surprise. :roll:
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:16 am
Making covenants with God is something every human being can do, whatever their definition of God. Mormonism demands covenants be made with and through the church. And that’s where all the trouble begins.
Read the quote I posted from the book.

Covenants made as a member of the church are different than those made by others.

Again, another oversimplification.

Regards,
MG