Church comments on SEC settlement

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: Church comments on SEC settlement

Post by malkie »

I wonder if Cook & Ballard were called as special witnesses to the names of the “business managers”.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:19 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:27 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A++
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

malkie wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:42 pm
I wonder if Cook & Ballard were called as special witnesses to the names of the “business managers”.
"Cook & Ballard" sounds like a firm of dodgy hedge fund managers...oh...wait...
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“DCP” wrote: My general attitude toward the issue is that it doesn’t involve deliberate fraud but, rather, a disagreement about proper reporting of financial data. Not substantive but procedural.
He’s too busy opining about quantum mechanics and the origin of the universe to know anything about the infinitely more complex mechanics of hiding money.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Is the emergent apologetic that somehow a disagreement about the law means the church can violate the law? That’s pretty weak. And a slippery slope if ever there was one.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Looks to me like willful ignorance is the order of the day for Mormons.
“SeN comments” wrote: A glorified paperwork issue has caused much ado about nothing. Amusing that the failing SLTrib is giddy with excitement but the story is rapidly losing steam. Critics rejoice at the Church getting any bad PR (even if said PR is inaccurate) and also fury at the SEC for such a small fine. In the eyes of our progressive secular critics they demand the Church must pay tithes to their god of government.

——————

The church donated five million dollars to charity in order to help the victims of an earthquake. And now it has to pay a five million dollar fine to a government agency for plucking corn on the Sabbath.

Oh the irony.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I count 4 things wrong or strawman in that comment. Whatever. Sadly, the brethren have instilled a culture in which “truthful” believers can never question their leaders or hold them to account against any objective standard.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:56 pm
“DCP” wrote: My general attitude toward the issue is that it doesn’t involve deliberate fraud but, rather, a disagreement about proper reporting of financial data. Not substantive but procedural.
He’s too busy opining about quantum mechanics and the origin of the universe to know anything about the infinitely more complex mechanics of hiding money.
DCP posted a lot of links on the topic about which he claims to not be that interested in. It’s worth noting the one thing he didn’t link to is the official statement about this issued by the SEC. Maybe it’s worth posting it’s wording in the relevant comments section on SIC et NON to see if it’s allowed to stand, or gets deleted…
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

IHAQ wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:43 am
drumdude wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:56 pm
DCP posted a lot of links on the topic about which he claims to not be that interested in. It’s worth noting the one thing he didn’t link to is the official statement about this issued by the SEC. Maybe it’s worth posting it’s wording in the relevant comments section on SIC et NON to see if it’s allowed to stand, or gets deleted…
I don’t think anyone cares enough to post anything critical on his blog anymore. We just say it here. More people read this than read his blog comments.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Just to set DCP’s lying straight - from r/exmo:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.