Missionary called me

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Missionary called me

Post by msnobody »

One of the missionaries that I got to know so well back in 2002-2004 just called me. We may talk more this weekend as he mentioned maybe calling me this again this weekend. Plans are to tell him what a huge impact they had on my life and what has transpired after he/they left to go home from his mission. In other words, the past 20 +/- years with my online family (ZLMB and here). I get to tell him about my beloved family (all of you). Not a day has gone by that I have not thought of them. Time for some quiet contemplation on my part.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Missionary called me

Post by Dr. Shades »

Did you tell him why you didn't join? If so, what was his response?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Would love to hear more of the story of his or her impact on you and also it would be interesting to know if the missionary still holds the same views on the church or how the past 20 years might of changed their view.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:15 pm
Did you tell him why you didn't join? If so, what was his response?
I’m pretty sure back then I probably told them that all I need is Jesus. On the day the four came to ask me to be baptized into the church and I told them I couldn’t, the AP told me that they couldn’t teach me any longer, it was a waste of time. Then they gathered and stood around me while I was seated, pulled out their missionary hymn books, and sang Called to Serve, and then left out single file. This took place in our Southern Baptist church library. It was pretty much guided by the AP. The others and I still kept in touch, however.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

msnobody wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:37 pm
Then they gathered and stood around me while I was seated, pulled out their missionary hymn books, and sang Called to Serve, and then left out single file.
That's shockingly cultish. But you already know that.
This took place in our Southern Baptist church library.
I'm surprised they agreed to meet you there rather than in your house or in their own church.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:33 pm
One of the missionaries that I got to know so well back in 2002-2004 just called me. We may talk more this weekend as he mentioned maybe calling me this again this weekend. Plans are to tell him what a huge impact they had on my life and what has transpired after he/they left to go home from his mission. In other words, the past 20 +/- years with my online family (ZLMB and here). I get to tell him about my beloved family (all of you). Not a day has gone by that I have not thought of them. Time for some quiet contemplation on my part.
I hope you guys enjoy catching up!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:27 am
msnobody wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:37 pm
Then they gathered and stood around me while I was seated, pulled out their missionary hymn books, and sang Called to Serve, and then left out single file.
That's shockingly cultish. But you already know that.
This took place in our Southern Baptist church library.
I'm surprised they agreed to meet you there rather than in your house or in their own church.
I had dropped my kids off at school, and when I drove into the church parking lot, I found them driving through the parking lot.

Sometime later, they made an appointment with a pastor at a different SBC who brought with him Craig Thomas from Watchman Fellowship. I knew both Craig and the pastor, but had nothing to do with the missionaries scheduling an appointment with the SBC pastor. Later one of the missionaries told me that the guy from Watchman Fellowship would tell them his name was Craig Thomas, but was really Craig Branch. I educated him that there were two Craig’s, one with Watchman Fellowship and the other with Apologetics Resource Center. Later the ward mission leader told me I could no longer feed the missionaries, he also told me that Craig Branch was “ a bad man.” I found out from Craig that a LDS missionary, in the past, had become born again while here in his mission, and went to non-LDS seminary here.

The missionaries that came here, Shades, regularly went into non-LDS churches.I went several times to a Pentecostal Assemblies of the World church when they’d go to see why it was they were going. I found that the members of this predominately black congregation were so very welcoming to them, would have them to church BBQs, and the missionaries would be allowed to stand up in church, and bear the basic LDS testimony. These people poured out love to these missionaries. I imagine too that maybe besides seeking converts from this church, they enjoyed the cultural experience of a predominately black congregation. One if the ladies there with whom I developed a friendship, told me that one of the missionaries told her, “I wish I could praise the Lord.” I think he was talking about the singing they had there. This same missionary seemed intrigued by a rudimentary painting they had on the concrete block wall where Jesus’ side is pierced and the mingled blood and fluid is pouring out.

I’ve posted about Micah Wilder who became born again while on his mission to Florida Orlando. He was converted after having gone into a SBC with the intent of converting a Baptist pastor and his congregation to Mormonism. So, yeah, LDS missionaries going into non-LDS churches here in the Southeast is a very common practice.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I attended all kinds of churches in SoCal on my mission. It was a great experience. I also argued with pastors at morning Bible study groups and owners of Christian bookstores in the bookstores. Such great memories!

I even pulled a prank on a stake missionary with a pastor friend.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:53 pm
I attended all kinds of churches in SoCal on my mission. It was a great experience. I also argued with pastors at morning Bible study groups and owners of Christian bookstores in the bookstores. Such great memories!

I even pulled a prank on a stake missionary with a pastor friend.
Inter-faith dialogue, right? 😊
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yes, inter-faith dialogue! It was a lot of fun and very educational. My companion and I even sang a duet in front of a meeting of an evangelical church once.