What Anti-Mormon Influencers Have In Common With Joseph Smith

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: What Anti-Mormon Influencers Have In Common With Joseph Smith

Post by canpakes »

Now you’re switching to the idea that because something happens elsewhere, people aren’t allowed to make a decision about their lives that runs counter to others in their family, or that runs counter to your own decision about your own life.

I think that the fear you’re talking about rests more within you than the others you’re pointing the finger at.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

He's basically saying people should stay in a religion they discover was founded by a con man because it's better for their families.

And the idea that a couple of podcasters getting some community support is somehow equivalent to a church with hundreds of billions in assets is really quite laughable. No one is forced to listen to these shows or donate to them. That's very different from the LDS church which tells people to show up every week and pay it money that it doesn't need.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I look forward to the day when leaving Mormonism amounts to a mere difference of opinion. But for many disagreeing with Mormonism is tantamount to some sort of weird ass spiritual war. Until we get to that time leaving a religion is often quite difficult and often requires some community, some amount of people telling you you aren’t crazy. Admittedly I’ve lost all hope or faith for Dehlin being an honest voice for those who lose faith, but he still has some use, it seems, for many.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:11 pm
He's basically saying people should stay in a religion they discover was founded by a con man because it's better for their families.
I’m just not so sure that the argument of, “My religion was founded by a liar and a thief, so don’t you dare go leaving it!!” Is going to win over many folks.

Atlantic Lowrance, do you have a better - or at least, gentler - argument that you’d like to share?
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Nobody likes getting caught up in someone else’s drama. There is value in knowing when to walk away.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Salvete
CTR A

Post by Salvete »

I hope someone reported this thread. OP, you can’t post images of other posters in real life.
From the end spring new beginnings.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Lowrance wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:11 pm
Look at the screenshot I provided and notice how the anti-Mormon influencer is asking for your money to help support his efforts to demolish a religious institution that has existed for over 200 years.
After how many years does a religious institution that deserves to be demolished magically become undeserving of being demolished?
What does it all mean? That is, the anti-Mormon influencer community has learned over the last few decades that exmormons are vulnerable and often fearful of leaving the religion in which they grew up. And anti-Mormon influencers have discovered that if they can supply exmormons with enough negative content about the Mormon church and its members, many exmormons will find comfort and a false sense of relief knowing that there are at least a few people out there who feel the same way they do. Essentially, anti-Mormon influencers have chosen to take advantage of vulnerable exmormons, similar to how Joseph Smith chose to preach against Christianity and paint Christianity negatively in order for questioning Christians to join the Mormon church after hearing what Joseph had to say negatively about Christianity. And, lo and behold, Joseph Smith also requested money from the people he was attempting to influence. Is it just me who finds it amusing that anti-Mormon influencers are mimicking the greatest anti-Christian influencer of all time, Joseph Smith? Is it just me who thinks it's hilarious that Joseph Smith and his cohorts preached and talked negatively about a well-established religion in order to persuade disaffected Christians to join their religion so that new Mormons could eventually pay money, and that anti-Mormon influencers preach and talk negatively about Mormonism in order for disaffected Mormons to eventually push the donate button and eventually start paying money on a regular basis?
I'm sure you're immune to all that because you're so much smarter than they are, right?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:57 am
Lowrance wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:11 pm
Look at the screenshot I provided and notice how the anti-Mormon influencer is asking for your money to help support his efforts to demolish a religious institution that has existed for over 200 years.
After how many years does a religious institution that deserves to be demolished magically become undeserving of being demolished?
What does it all mean? That is, the anti-Mormon influencer community has learned over the last few decades that exmormons are vulnerable and often fearful of leaving the religion in which they grew up. And anti-Mormon influencers have discovered that if they can supply exmormons with enough negative content about the Mormon church and its members, many exmormons will find comfort and a false sense of relief knowing that there are at least a few people out there who feel the same way they do. Essentially, anti-Mormon influencers have chosen to take advantage of vulnerable exmormons, similar to how Joseph Smith chose to preach against Christianity and paint Christianity negatively in order for questioning Christians to join the Mormon church after hearing what Joseph had to say negatively about Christianity. And, lo and behold, Joseph Smith also requested money from the people he was attempting to influence. Is it just me who finds it amusing that anti-Mormon influencers are mimicking the greatest anti-Christian influencer of all time, Joseph Smith? Is it just me who thinks it's hilarious that Joseph Smith and his cohorts preached and talked negatively about a well-established religion in order to persuade disaffected Christians to join their religion so that new Mormons could eventually pay money, and that anti-Mormon influencers preach and talk negatively about Mormonism in order for disaffected Mormons to eventually push the donate button and eventually start paying money on a regular basis?
I'm sure you're immune to all that because you're so much smarter than they are, right?
What an ignorant argument you have presented! You believe anti-Mormon influences are intelligent? Is this why you generally concur with them? It is ludicrous! Many influencers are intelligent, as are the brethren; many have PhDs, a few are attorneys and doctors, and I believe they are all college grads. Do you agree that the brotherhood are intelligent? I say you probably do. Why do people continue to believe in a religion that you believe is useless and should be destroyed? Because intelligence has no bearing on the decision to live a religious or nonreligious lifestyle. This is what the board can not comprehend! I'm beginning to suspect that the majority of posters on this forum want the church to collapse because, if the church is destroyed, they will feel vindicated.

Can you or anyone else in this room fully comprehend why John Dehlin is seen negatively today as opposed to years ago? Because he has exhausted all important content, he has jumped the shark and is now in shock jock territory! And every year that he keeps podcasting, he will need to find a method to surprise the audience in order to keep them entertained and justify his $250,000 pay. I am certain he is reading this. I'm the one who surprised him to the point where he joined the forum and commented on my thread, so hello John! My point is that RFM, Bill, and all the other anti-Mormon influencers will become shock jocks in the future, just as John did, when they run out of significant content. People will also come to loathe them. Why? Because they just emit negativity! They sell their viewers nothing but negativity 24 hours a day, every day.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Lowrance wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:24 am
What an ignorant argument you have presented! You believe anti-Mormon influences are intelligent? Is this why you generally concur with them? It is ludicrous! Many influencers are intelligent, as are the brethren; many have PhDs, a few are attorneys and doctors, and I believe they are all college grads. Do you agree that the brotherhood are intelligent? I say you probably do. Why do people continue to believe in a religion that you believe is useless and should be destroyed? Because intelligence has no bearing on the decision to live a religious or nonreligious lifestyle. This is what the board can not comprehend! I'm beginning to suspect that the majority of posters on this forum want the church to collapse because, if the church is destroyed, they will feel vindicated.

Can you or anyone else in this room fully comprehend why John Dehlin is seen negatively today as opposed to years ago? Because he has exhausted all important content, he has jumped the shark and is now in shock jock territory! And every year that he keeps podcasting, he will need to find a method to surprise the audience in order to keep them entertained and justify his $250,000 pay. I am certain he is reading this. I'm the one who surprised him to the point where he joined the forum and commented on my thread, so hello John! My point is that RFM, Bill, and all the other anti-Mormon influencers will become shock jocks in the future, just as John did, when they run out of significant content. People will also come to loathe them. Why? Because they just emit negativity! They sell their viewers nothing but negativity 24 hours a day, every day.
I'm unclear as to what your aim is with this thread. You seem to be very angry about something. Why are you so mad about a couple of niche podcasters whose listeners feel like supporting them with a small financial donation on a regular basis? You don't have to listen to them. You're not obligated to fund them. It seems counter productive for you to spend so much time rallying against something that, on the face of it, has no bearing on you whatsoever. Why u so mad bro?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

IHAQ wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:58 am
Why u so mad bro?
Mayan Elephant/Cultellus/Bing Bong/Lowrance’s wife cheated on him and was a client of John Dehlin’s at the time. Bing Bong is using the board to rail against John Dehlin (and by proxy, Consiglieri) because he’s been banned from all of John Dehlin’s platforms, and he saw that John Dehlin reads the board. This is where his “tearing families apart” shtick is coming from. He also mistakenly viewed this board as pro-John Dehlin when he popped up here, but was disabused of that notion. Now he’s attacking Consiglieri because RFM is friends with John Dehlin, posts here, and defends John Dehlin against Glenn Closian whackadoodles.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.