Missionary Stabbed In Colombia

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Missionary Stabbed In Colombia

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Good news is that he is doing well after surgery and is expected to recover:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50587919/la ... -colombia-
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Re: Missionary Stabbed In Columbia

Post by Marcus »

The missionary was unconscious upon getting to the hospital and underwent surgery immediately, according to a Facebook post from Elder Fish's mother. He was placed into a medically induced coma and has undergone multiple surgeries.

In her most recent update, Elder Fish's mother said his latest surgery had gone well. The surgeons were able to repair the veins damaged in the attack, restore blood flow to prevent amputation of the arm and replace the damaged collarbone.

"It was a complete success!." she wrote early Sunday. "My heart is leaping at this success!"

Elder Fish is still considered to be in serious but stable condition, remaining in the medically induced coma as of Sunday afternoon.
:shock:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I am hopeful the day comes soon when Mormon leaders receive “revelation” that sending 18 year olds across the world to go door to door is no longer acceptable.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:33 am
I am hopeful the day comes soon when Mormon leaders receive “revelation” that sending 18 year olds across the world to go door to door is no longer acceptable.
Our missionary program has certainly lost most of its effectiveness. The 80's and 90's were the hey-days for missionary work. Now, the JW's are converting more than us with their part-time member missionary program.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
bbbbbbb
Nursery

Post by bbbbbbb »

Curiously, I attended Columbia University in New York City and when I read the title to this thread I thought that it probably referred to my alma mater and not to Colombia, the country (note the difference in spelling). Columbia University is in the midst of Harlem in Manhattan which is hardly considered to be overly safe (even though it is actually quite safe). However, like all large cities, NYC has more than its fair share of murders.

In response to a previous poster, I agree that the heyday of Mormon missions was in the 1980's and 1990's. As a non-Mormon I interacted with Mormon missionaries fairly frequently during that time and, to a lesser extent, with JW missionaries. However, it has been decades since either have come to my door. My observation here is that neither group is thriving. I think that after most folks have heard the sales pitch and made an informed decision then it is exceedingly difficult to find fresh ears to preach at.
IHAQ
God

Re: Missionary Stabbed In Colombia

Post by IHAQ »

From the article:
Elder Fish's companion is currently receiving counseling, according to a statement from the church. Other missionaries in the vicinity of the crime have been moved out of the area as a precaution.
Why does the Holy Ghost only prompt Church Leaders into locking stable doors after the horses have bolted?
slskipper
Sunbeam

Re: Missionary Stabbed In Colombia

Post by slskipper »

Of course whatever happens will be a sign of divine intervention.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

bbbbbbb wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:58 am
As a non-Mormon I interacted with Mormon missionaries fairly frequently during that time and, to a lesser extent, with JW missionaries. However, it has been decades since either have come to my door.
I have missed talking with both groups. I could always cool the LDS missionaries' jets by asking if they wished to rebaptize me. With the JWs, they simply wanted to bear their witness rather than enroll me in their product.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace