Linda King Newell has passed away.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Elphaba
Nursery

Linda King Newell has passed away.

Post by Elphaba »

Linda King Newell, who co-wrote my favorite book about Emma Smith: Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, has passed away. (Valeen Tippets Avery was the other author, and she passed away in 2006.) Mormon Enigma was my first foray into real Mormon history, and has a special place both in my heart and in my library.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/23/book ... -dead.html
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Re: Linda King Newell has passed away.

Post by Fence Sitter »

Thanks for letting us know.

Mormon Enigma was also one of my first reads when I became interested in actual Mormon history. I too am a fan.
I got a copy from Amazon for cheap, read it, marked it up with both notes and highlights throughout the book only to realize later on it had been autographed by both authors. :cry:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Elphaba wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:17 pm
Linda King Newell, who co-wrote my favorite book about Emma Smith: Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, has passed away. (Valeen Tippets Avery was the other author, and she passed away in 2006.) Mormon Enigma was my first foray into real Mormon history, and has a special place both in my heart and in my library.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/23/book ... -dead.html
I was saddened by this news when it came out. I regret that we did not see any discussion of it earlier. Thanks for posting this here.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

RIP path breaking well loved historian...