Split From: President Kimball's Journals, Now Available

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Split From: President Kimball's Journals, Now Available

Post by drumdude »

I look forward to the inevitable scandal in a few decades where someone leaks information about the church “losing” some of the records with embarrassing information.

With a justification that if members knew the information they might be less likely to give money to the Mormon church.

DCP said today, by the way, that it was a logical reason for the Brethren to hide the church’s finances.
I can easily imagine that some members might decide not to tithe if they feel that the Church already has too much money.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: President Kimball's journals, now available...

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:42 am
I look forward to the inevitable scandal in a few decades where someone leaks information about the church “losing” some of the records with embarrassing information.

With a justification that if members knew the information they might be less likely to give money to the Mormon church.

DCP said today, by the way, that it was a logical reason for the Brethren to hide the church’s finances.
I can easily imagine that some members might decide not to tithe if they feel that the Church already has too much money.
Wow! The proprietor really said that? Let's hide information so people won't be able to exercise free agency or make informed decisions.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Yep. I really hope Daniel’s online comments are preserved for posterity as a tool to lead people out of the cult. People need to remember what the church argued and not let them gaslight that they never said these things.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

“Dr. Daniel C Peterson” wrote: In the comment just above, I wrote that "I can easily imagine that some members might decide not to tithe if they feel that the Church already has too much money."
Over on the Peterson Obsession Board, a fellow who goes by something like "Dumb Dud" is one of the more frenetic tale-bearers about my various idiocies, buffooneries, lies, and outrages here -- and, perhaps not coincidentally, one of the most breathlessly inaccurate. He is now claiming (and some of his eagerly gullible audience there are gobbling it down with gusto and positively quivering with deliciously righteous indignation about it) that I advocate hiding information -- in this case, specifically financial information -- so that people won't be able to exercise their agency or make informed decisions.
But, of course, my sentence above advocates nothing. Nothing at all, let alone the proposition that Dumb Dud ascribes to me. It simply acknowledges the likelihood that some members of the Church might, in fact, choose to discontinue tithing if they felt that the Church already had too much money. Pretty clear, I think.
“Lord, what fools these mortals be!” (William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream, III.ii.117)
Daniel,

I think a close (or even just cursory) read of what I wrote will show that I said nothing of the sort. I said nothing about agency. I said nothing about informed decision.

I simply drew attention to DCP admitting that the brethren had a perfectly logical reason to hide their finances.

I think it’s a pretty noteworthy admission and I appreciate you, DCP, making it publicly. It doesn’t look good for the church, which is why I got not one but two “dumb dude” mentions! :lol: