TBMs: If the Brighamites (SLC) church collapsed...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Nimrod
Star B

TBMs: If the Brighamites (SLC) church collapsed...

Post by Nimrod »

would you join a different Mormon sect? If so, which one and why?
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
MG 2.0
God

Re: TBMs: If the Brighamites (SLC) church collapsed...

Post by MG 2.0 »

Nimrod wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:01 pm
No. I would more than likely be some flavor of orthopractic/reform and possibly even more or less orthodox Christian. It’s hard to say.

But I don’t expect the SLC branch to fail. The Lord has promised that this will be the last dispensation and restoration before He returns.

Regards,
MG
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:53 pm
Nimrod wrote:
No. I would more than likely be some flavor of orthopractic/reform and possibly even more or less orthodox Christian. It’s hard to say.

But I don’t expect the SLC branch to fail. The Lord has promised that this will be the last dispensation and restoration before He returns.

Regards,
MG
Adherents of other religions that have failed believed that the Lord had made them just such a promise.
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Nimrod wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:00 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:

Regards,
MG
Adherents of other religions that have failed believed that the Lord had made them just such a promise.
I realize that. Makes it a bit tricky, right? Throwing the baby out with the bath water is a real possibility isn’t it?

The million dollar question is can there be ‘a truth’ amidst it all.

If Joseph Smith is to be believed, he had some of these same concerns and went to God.

Did God appear to him?

Also another million dollar question. One can go broke asking questions!🤪

Regards,
MG
Salvete
CTR A

Post by Salvete »

MG 2.0 wrote:
No. I would more than likely be some flavor of orthopractic/reform and possibly even more or less orthodox Christian.
So you’d become a chiropractor?
From the end spring new beginnings.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Salvete wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:11 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
No. I would more than likely be some flavor of orthopractic/reform and possibly even more or less orthodox Christian.
So you’d become a chiropractor?
Ha ha. 🙂

Orthopraxy: Correct practice, action, or procedure.

Regards,
MG
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:40 am
Orthopraxy: Correct practice, action, or procedure.

Regards,
MG
Does this include the laying on of hands? Hopefully, it will rub you the right way.

As long as members retain a willingness to believe, the Church will never collapse. Even if a great natural disaster occurs and the Eloi fall away, there will be Morlocks who retain the Gospel Essentials.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Nimrod wrote:

Regards,
MG
Would it be fair then to say your faith in Jesus is independent of your belonging to the LDS church and believing its teachings?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Short answer: yes.

Answer to second question: no idea.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
JohnW
Valiant A

Post by JohnW »

I hate to say it depends, but it sort of depends. What you mean by collapse? Do you mean that the church ceases to exist, or do you mean splinters into a bunch of smaller groups? If the church were to collapse, the second option is way more likely in my mind. Religious movements on the scale of the church morph over time, they splinter, but they usually don't cease to exist on timescales of a person's lifetime.

I'm assuming by collapsing, the OP means splinter. If that were the case, I would most likely be a member of one of those splinters. I probably maintain the position that my particular splinter is actually a continuation of the original church, but I suppose so would the members of the other splinters. It would probably play out similar to the time of the death of Joseph Smith. There were quite a few splinters that decreased in size and number until most members chose between the two major groups.