Hyrum's descendants

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Nimrod
Star B

Hyrum's descendants

Post by Nimrod »

Following the murders of Joseph and Hyrum Smith at Carthage Jail on June 27, 1844, Joseph's wife and children joined up with the RLDS. Hyrum's family followed Brigham Young. What is known about why Hyrum's kin chose to follow Brigham?
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
Madison54
Nursery

Re: Hyrum's descendants

Post by Madison54 »

Nimrod wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:04 pm
Following the murders of Joseph and Hyrum Smith at Carthage Jail on June 27, 1844, Joseph's wife and children joined up with the RLDS. Hyrum's family followed Brigham Young. What is known about why Hyrum's kin chose to follow Brigham?
I believe the key to that, is studying Mary Fielding Smith (Hyrum's widow).

As with almost all of those who followed BY, it came down to polygamy. Not all...but most who went out to Utah were polygamists. Then they populated SLC with immigrants who'd never met Joseph.

Mary Fielding was sealed to Heber C. Kimball after Hyrum was killed. I'd need to look into the information I have, but I do believe if she hadn't traveled to Utah with her young children (including Joseph Fielding Smith....the 6th president of the church....he was 9 years old when they crossed the plains), there would have only been Joseph's uncle John from the family who followed BY.

Mary Fielding Smith died in 1852 (just 4 years after arriving in Utah).

As I stated above, the only other member of Joseph's family that came out to Utah, If I recall correctly, was John Smith (brother to Joseph Smith, Sr.). He was the father of George A. Smith. John Smith died in 1854...so only lived in Utah about 6 years. John was a polygamist (Joseph sealed him to Silas Smith's widow in Nauvoo....Silas was another brother to Joseph Smith, Sr. and was the Father of Jesse N. Smith).

I do remember that Mary Fielding joined the church with her brother (Joseph) and sister (Mercy) in 1836. Mercy was also one of Hyrum's wives (his first polygamous one) and she also came out to Utah. Joseph followed BY to Utah as well. So, that may have affected Mary deciding to come to Utah too (that her siblings did)
Last edited by Madison54 on Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

Madison54 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:27 pm
Nimrod wrote:
I believe the key to that, is studying Mary Fielding Smith (Hyrum's widow).

As with almost all of those who followed BY, it came down to polygamy. Not all...but most who went out to Utah were polygamists. Then they populated SLC with immigrants who'd never met Joseph.

Mary Fielding was sealed to Heber C. Kimball after Hyrum was killed. I'd need to look into the information I have, but I do believe if she hadn't traveled to Utah with her young children (including Joseph Fielding Smith....the 6th president of the church....he was 9 years old when they crossed the plains), there would have only been Joseph's uncle John from the family who followed BY.

Mary Fielding Smith died in 1852 (just 4 years after arriving in Utah).

As I stated above, the only other member of Joseph's family that came out to Utah, If I recall correctly, was John Smith (brother to Joseph Smith, Sr.). He was the father of George A. Smith. John Smith died in 1854...so only lived in Utah about 6 years. John was a polygamist (Joseph sealed him to Silas Smith's widow in Nauvoo....Silas was another brother to Joseph Smith, Sr. and the Father of Jesse N. Smith).

I do remember that Mary Fielding joined the church with her brother (Joseph) and sister (Mercy) in 1836. Mercy was also one of Hyrum's wives (his first polygamous one) and she also came out to Utah. Joseph followed BY to Utah as well. So, that may have affected Mary deciding to come to Utah too (that her siblings did)
Thank you
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Nimrod wrote:
In addition to Madison 54’s comments there was also the communication problem and rift that developed over time between Emma and Brigham and the impact that had over her following the Saints out west. Apparently she didn’t believe he was to lead the church.

https://www.deseret.com/2009/6/25/20325 ... m-and-emma

Regards,
MG